2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

- By the way, Phillies fans, half the stadium walking out before the final pitch was FAR more embarrasing than anything Brad Lidge did yesterday.

A good part of that half had probably spent the entire day from well before noon in that general vicinity if they had tickets to the Eagles game across the street. Yeah, the excuse is flimsy, but after Lidge has poured gasoline onto the fire that he started, and Mariano coming in with a 3-run lead, what does one expect?

Right now, the Yankees' better is better than the Phillies' better. I at least want to keep New York from clinching in Citizens Bank Park.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Philly just needs to keep swinging like they are now....for 2 1/2 more games ;)

Back-to-back record-tying ABs in the 7th. Utley plants one in the seats in right for home run #5, tying Reggie Jackson for most HRs in a World Series. Howard swings and misses for his 12th K of the series the next batter. Ties Willie Wilson for most Ks in a World Series.

Are both records in jeopardy?

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

And the series goes back to New York.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Back-to-back record-tying ABs in the 7th. Utley plants one in the seats in right for home run #5, tying Reggie Jackson for most HRs in a World Series. Howard swings and misses for his 12th K of the series the next batter. Ties Willie Wilson for most Ks in a World Series.

The way both guys are swinging, I have no doubt that both records are in serious danger. I think Howard got kinda screwed on that last one though.

The way both guys are swinging, I have no doubt that both records are in serious danger. I think Howard got kinda screwed on that last one though.

Maybe. maybe not. I thought he went. Hopefully, The Phillies got their mojo back tonight.

BB52Big.jpg

Maybe. maybe not. I thought he went. Hopefully, The Phillies got their mojo back tonight.

I guess that call could have really gone either way. I have seen guys not get called for worse, and I have seen guys get called on check swings that were not even close to Howard's. I don't expect too much out of these umpires anyway, and I don't think anyone else does either.

But yea, the Phillies are very capable of winning the next two. It's just a matter of the other starters stepping up to what Lee has been able to accomplish. His World Series is over, so the other pitchers need to get in there and take this lineup out.

But yea, the Phillies are very capable of winning the next two. It's just a matter of the other starters stepping up to what Lee has been able to accomplish. His World Series is over, so the other pitchers need to get in there and take this lineup out.

Not even close. If this thing goes seven you can bet we'll see Cliff Lee pitch again. Hell, if it's tight in game 6 and the Phillies need an out or two we could see Cliff Lee pitch. Once you reach the 6th game in the World Series everyone in the bullpen is available. Especially in the Phillies bullpen. You win game 6 however you have to. You worry about game 7 when you get there. The entire staff can rest until February once this thing is over.

Non-Yankees fans just have to hope that Joe Girardi starts over-managing again.

BB52Big.jpg

Not even close. If this thing goes seven you can bet we'll see Cliff Lee pitch again. Hell, if it's tight in game 6 and the Phillies need an out or two we could see Cliff Lee pitch. Once you reach the 6th game in the World Series everyone in the bullpen is available. Especially in the Phillies bullpen. You win game 6 however you have to. You worry about game 7 when you get there. The entire staff can rest until February once this thing is over.

Yea, in 2001 Randy Johnson pitched 7 innings (104 pitches) in Game 6, then the very next day pitched 1.1 innings to close out Game 7. This is what you play for. It's the one time overworking your pitcher is ok.

Archived