2010 Final Four logos

JQK

Why do they always use extremely thick outlines?

To keep the agents out of the game...

I lik them. I think they are simple and clean. We see skyline logos that can be too detailed and distracting. Not here. The women's one is even better, in my opinion (until we get to San Antonio and see the court design...maybe they will have ten-gallon hats in the arcs this year).

ducks-large.jpg

Craptacular. You'd think there'd be a wheel or something to actually Identify Indy, instead of a boring "skyline". It's a simple idea, but it escapes them every time. As for the Women's, it's just plain boring.

I remember a news report in Indy a while back where they asked the question of the NCAA why they never included any reference to the Indy 500 in their Final Four logo and they said they made the decision not to highlight one major sporting event by referencing another. I understand their logic, but the Indy 500, Kentucky Derby, and a few other legendary sporting events would transcend that thought, in my opinion.

The Pacers and Colts are both named for not two, but THREE different pro sports - Colts for the Preakness, Pacers for Indiana Harness Racing and the Indy 500.

Are there any other pro sports teams named for other sports their cities (or former cities) are famous for?

I kind of like the women's one actually. Reminds me of a bomb pop, but it does represent Texas well.

Also, why are the Final Fours at the same places every year? It seems like the places with football somes host it all the time. Indy, St. Louis, San Antonio, New Orleans, Atlanta, Minneapolis. Cleveland gets on once in a while, too. It seems like they are always at these cities though.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

I kind of like the women's one actually. Reminds me of a bomb pop, but it does represent Texas well.

Also, why are the Final Fours at the same places every year? It seems like the places with football somes host it all the time. Indy, St. Louis, San Antonio, New Orleans, Atlanta, Minneapolis. Cleveland gets on once in a while, too. It seems like they are always at these cities though.

because the NCAA wants to make as much money as possible, so they will host their championships on the big stage in domes. the more people coming to the events the more money they pocket. The new stadium in Arlington TX for the Cowboys will be added to that cycle of venues when it opens.

I know its in indy like every four years or so since the NCAA is headquarterd there

More than anything its all about large domes. The only large domes are in:

New Orleans

Indianapolis

St. Louis

Atlanta

Minneapolis

San Antonio

Houston (retractable)

Glendale (retractable)

And soon Dallas (rectractable)

That's the only places you'll find the final fours for quite sometime unless they decide to have them in Baseball stadiums like Safeco or Miller Park. Not sure why they haven't had one in Relient Stadium or University of Phoenix Stadium though.

These are the future Men's venues

2009: Ford Field, Detroit, Michigan (April 4 and 6)

2010: Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana (April 3 and 5)

2011: Reliant Stadium, Houston, Texas (April 2 and 4)

2012: Louisiana Superdome, New Orleans, Louisiana (March 31 and April 2)

2013: Georgia Dome, Atlanta, Georgia (April 6 and 8)

2014: Cowboys Stadium, Arlington, Texas (April 5 and 7)

2015: Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana (April 4 and 6)

2016: Reliant Stadium, Houston, Texas (April 2 and 4)

Women's venues

2009 Scottrade Center (St. Louis, Missouri)

2010 Alamodome (San Antonio, Texas)

2011 Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis, Indiana)

2012 Pepsi Center (Denver, Colorado)

2013 New Orleans Arena (New Orleans, Louisiana)

2014 Sommet Center (Nashville, Tennessee)

2015 St. Pete Times Forum (Tampa, Florida)

2016 Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis, Indiana)

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Craptacular. You'd think there'd be a wheel or something to actually Identify Indy, instead of a boring "skyline". It's a simple idea, but it escapes them every time. As for the Women's, it's just plain boring.

I remember a news report in Indy a while back where they asked the question of the NCAA why they never included any reference to the Indy 500 in their Final Four logo and they said they made the decision not to highlight one major sporting event by referencing another. I understand their logic, but the Indy 500, Kentucky Derby, and a few other legendary sporting events would transcend that thought, in my opinion.

The Pacers and Colts are both named for not two, but THREE different pro sports - Colts for the Preakness, Pacers for Indiana Harness Racing and the Indy 500.

Are there any other pro sports teams named for other sports their cities (or former cities) are famous for?

Yeah, that does makes sense, but they need something recognizable. When most people think "Indianapolis" they think of racing, not a boring, unrecognizable skyline. Although with Detroit using a wheel now, it difinitively throws the wheel idea out the window for Indy.

spacer.png

I know its in indy like every four years or so since the NCAA is headquarterd there

Not sure why they haven't had one in Relient Stadium or University of Phoenix Stadium though.

University of Phoenix Stadium is hosting the West Regional this year. They should get one at some point down the road.

At least the NCAA isn't repeating the mistake of having the Final Four at Tropicana Field.

This whole circulating locations thing has kind of made me want to watch the Final Four less and less. They are putting these games in over-sized facilities, in cities that are not that big. At least with the Super Bowl, their is a little bit of a bidding process, and it doesn't seem like their just handing them to the same places every so many years.

On the subject of the logos- Their pretty bad. Guess the economy really is in the toilet. I wish that places could play with the Final Four wordmark, to add a little bit more individuality to it.

Also, are they just doing black courts this year?

Archived