NHL 2009 Super Special Playoff Edition Megathread

Lee.

Excellent playoffs so far! :D So much on my mind as I sit through this thrilling NHL postseason. :hockeysmiley: Thank you Rocky Wirtz for turning the Blackhawks from a dead franchise to the talk of Chicago. This team is so exciting to watch! In past years, I cared little about the NHL partly since the Hawks were a horrible franchise. :cursing: I also was still mad over the Lockout a few years ago. Though I tend to root for one of the Canadian teams to win the Cup :flagcanada: (but not this year obviously.)

In fact, I've been watching the other teams in action. I'm aware that Crosby (PIT) & Ovechkin (WSH) get all the attention in hockey , but that series lived up to the hype that even ESPN, which often ignores hockey, is talking about it. Though that last game between the Penguins & Capitals was a total dud! :mad: I was expecting a more competitive game! Call me crazy, but I was happy that the Red Wings won. Not only does the Hawks & Wings renew their Original 6 rivalry, but also no more late games that start at 10:00 PM EST/9:00 PM CTS. I fell asleep during game 5 of Hawks/Canucks. (sleepz) As for the Bruins/Hurricanes game, that was a fun game to watch, though I was rooting for the Bruins & they lost. I wanted an all "original 12" final 4 (3 of the original 6 teams & one of the original 1967 expansion teams)

As for the Conference Finals, I expect both series to go down to the wire. I bet that NBC is happy with the Hawks/Wings matchup & the Pens in the East, though they probably wanted the Bruins instead of the Canes. Anyway, my heart says Hawks/Pens , but my Brain says Wings/Pens. I hope the Hawks pull the upset or else it will be a rematch of last year's finals. (I have the Pens beating the Canes, btw.) If it's Wings/Pens, go Pens. If it's HAWKS vs Pens or Canes, go HAWKS! If it's Wings/Canes, Go Canes, I guess. :winner:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I were a Bruins fan, I would have called the season a success as soon as they beat the Canadiens in round 1. Anything after that was just gravy.

Sorry, but no. That's not nearly good enough. We're talking about a once-proud team that is stuck in a 37-year Stanley Cup Championship drought. This team was positioned to go to the Stanley Cup Finals and, quite frankly, take advantage of a better than even chance of hoisting the hardware. To see them spit-the-bit against the 'Canes after sweeping the Habs is gutting.

As for next year, my fear is that notorious skinflint-owner Jeremy Jacobs is going to think that the better-than-expected 2008-09 season and first-round playoff sweep of the Canadiens has placated once-disgruntled Bruins fans. That, combined with the uncharacteristically generous $20-million extension he lavished on Tim Thomas, could lead Jacobs to revert to his penny-pinching ways. Given that the Bs are going to have their work cut-out for them in trying to squeeze-in a number of crucial free-agent components under the salary cap, such a development would be devastating. The Bruins window of opportunity to make good on the Stanley Cup promise exhibited during this season could be slammed shut pretty damned quick.

It may be "morning after" pessimism talking, but I get the sinking feeling that the Bruins should have taken a "future is now" attitude throughout these Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I've seen just as dominant Bruins teams lose to just as pathetic Habs teams in round 1 of the playoffs before. This time the B's actually managed to sweep their arch rivals. Is it everything? No, but it's something.

Sometimes teams just choke. And Boston did that against Carolina. What happened happened, try to look back on a great season and enjoy what they did accomplish. Beating their arch rivals who seem to dominate them in the playoffs annually 4-0 is something to look back fondly on.

And if you want to talk about your once proud team in a Cup drought, take your case to someone who isn't a Leafs fan :P

As for the playoffs at hand, I'm pulling for Pittsburgh and Chicago at this point, though anyone other then Detroit will be fine by me.

If I were a Bruins fan, I would have called the season a success as soon as they beat the Canadiens in round 1. Anything after that was just gravy.

Sorry, but no. That's not nearly good enough. We're talking about a once-proud team that is stuck in a 37-year Stanley Cup Championship drought. This team was positioned to go to the Stanley Cup Finals and, quite frankly, take advantage of a better than even chance of hoisting the hardware. To see them spit-the-bit against the 'Canes after sweeping the Habs is gutting.

As for next year, my fear is that notorious skinflint-owner Jeremy Jacobs is going to think that the better-than-expected 2008-09 season and first-round playoff sweep of the Canadiens has placated once-disgruntled Bruins fans. That, combined with the uncharacteristically generous $20-million extension he lavished on Tim Thomas, could lead Jacobs to revert to his penny-pinching ways. Given that the Bs are going to have their work cut-out for them in trying to squeeze-in a number of crucial free-agent components under the salary cap, such a development would be devastating. The Bruins window of opportunity to make good on the Stanley Cup promise exhibited during this season could be slammed shut pretty damned quick.

It may be "morning after" pessimism talking, but I get the sinking feeling that the Bruins should have taken a "future is now" attitude throughout these Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I've seen just as dominant Bruins teams lose to just as pathetic Habs teams in round 1 of the playoffs before. This time the B's actually managed to sweep their arch rivals. Is it everything? No, but it's something.

Sometimes teams just choke. And Boston did that against Carolina. What happened happened, try to look back on a great season and enjoy what they did accomplish. Beating their arch rivals who seem to dominate them in the playoffs annually 4-0 is something to look back fondly on.

And if you want to talk about your once proud team in a Cup drought, take your case to someone who isn't a Leafs fan :P

As for the playoffs at hand, I'm pulling for Pittsburgh and Chicago at this point, though anyone other then Detroit will be fine by me.

Careful, that kind of talk will get you a scolding! :P

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

The way I see it, we have good potential for some great Stanley Cup Finals...

Detroit vs. Carolina: Rematch of 2002 Finals

Detroit vs. Pittsburgh: Rematch of the 2008 Finals

Chicago vs. Pittsburgh: The 'Sudden Death' Finals (:P)

Chicago vs. Carolina: Battle of C's

Personally, I want to see a Chicago-Pittsburgh finals so I can pretend that Jean-Claude Van Damme will be at Game 7 in Pittsburgh to stop a potential terrorist threat, which is bombs placed in the arena.

Personally, I want to see a Chicago-Pittsburgh finals so I can pretend that Jean-Claude Van Damme will be at Game 7 in Pittsburgh to stop a potential terrorist threat, which is bombs placed in the arena.

That is EXACTLY why I want to see a Chicago-Pittsburgh finals. :P Sudden Death was honestly the first time I'd ever seen hockey in a movie. (Yes, I saw Sudden Death before I saw Mighty Ducks. :P)

That is EXACTLY why I want to see a Chicago-Pittsburgh finals. :P Sudden Death was honestly the first time I'd ever seen hockey in a movie. (Yes, I saw Sudden Death before I saw Mighty Ducks. :P)

Sudden Death was my first Rated R movie...I was 12 or 13, I think, but had to go because the Hawks were in it. I still call bulls*** on Van Damme making that save.

You stay classy oddball <_<

I'm sorry I decided to wax poetic about the great season my team had and how they came over many adversities during the course of the season.

Yes, I realized they lost.

Yes, I realize they have some things they need to take care of.

And I didn't even make that big of a stink against the goal. Did I not like the way it went it? No, I didn't. Was it going to get changed? No. Was there anything I could do? No. You could say I'd have a smal argument against it, but if I truly felt the Ducks had been absolutely wronged in any sense, then I would have gone into detail. All I said is I basically didn't like the way it was scored, but in the end, that's hockey.

I was just extremely proud of the way that they kept pushing all season (as inconsistent as they may have been) and blasted from 12th place in mid-March to clinch a playoff spot, upset a very good San Jose team, and take the defending Stanley Cup champion and current Cup favorites to Game 7. And they pushed the Wings all the way to the final buzzer in that Game 7.

There's no need to just come in and :censored: on this little parade.

I'm sorry the Kings have been nothing short of mediocre in their 40 years of existence and blew their one true chance at a Cup, and that this little upstart team from Anaheim has outperformed the Kings in their now 16 years of existence and has shown more heart than you or any team you have ever followed has. Just because you are some just angry person behind a keyboard somewhere in SoCal doesn't mean you have to take it out on any one or topic you see fit.

--------------------------

Anyways

Conference Finals predictions

Penguins in 6

I think the Canes will give the Pens a good fight, but Pittsburgh is just too talented. I think the biggest key though in this series will be the goaltending. If Cam Ward continues his playoff dominance and Fleury continues to be his streaky self, then I give the Canes a pretty good shot in the series. But should Ward falter even slightly and Fleury can play the way he has shown in select parts of these playoffs (like early in Game 7 in DC), the it's the Pens series to lose.

Blackhawks in 6

This is going to be a great series, no doubt. While Detroit out experiences Chicago at almost every position, I think Chicago has the youthful fire and determination to beat Detroit. While the Hawks/Nucks series was a hard fought one, it wasn't the all out battle that the Ducks/Wings series was. I think that Chicago has a chance to jump out in front in the series quickly. The Hawks might have a little less grit than the Ducks did, but they have a more spread out firepower. I think if Khabibulin doesn't fall completely on his face in the series, then the Hawks have a tremendous chance to beat the Red Wings. And I damn sure hope they do.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Considering the building in question, though, wouldn't they just simply evacuate the building and tell the terrorist he's welcome to blow the place up and save them demolition costs? :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As I predicted on the 2nd page of this thread, I think Pittsburgh beats Carolina in 6 games. And now I'm gonna wise up....I'm not picking against Detroit until they lose a series: Detroit over Chicago in 6 games.

Though, I'd prefer to see Carolina vs. Chicago in the Cup Final.....

I'm picking Detroit over Chicago in 6 game and Carolina over Pittsburgh in 7. And even though I'm a Wings fan, I do enjoy watching the Hawks play. A very young team, but very talented. This series should really heat up the Detroit-Chicago rivalry. B)

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Predictions

Prince of Wales Trophy

Pittsburgh over Carolina in 7

As much as I'd love to see the cardiac canes continue I just find that they'll have to deal with so much more fire power with Crosby, Malkin, Kunitz and others but this could come down to the Goalies Cam Ward has been top notch same with MA-Fleury but seeing that game 7 will be in Pitty I think that's what makes the Birds with Tuxedos move on to there second straight Stanley Cup Final.

Clarence S. Campbell Bowl

Chicago over Detroit in 7

The ceiling is unlimited for the Hawks even if they do fall they have the chips in place to get back but they're having so much fun playing hockey and I don't see any reason for them to quit it but this would be easier said then done if there opponent wasn't the defending Cup champs the Detroit Red Wings but I think that Toews and Kane really get Ozzy and send him and the Wings golfing and Dustin Byfuglien continues his budding star play in this series and really earns a spot on to Team USA for Vancouver 2010.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I can't believe that the Hurricanes are in the Conference finals. If the canes go to the finals against the Wings, I have no choice but to go for the wings, despite being a huge leafs fan. I feel as though, the Canes have lucked there way to the finals. For one, I don't even think they should have beaten New Jersey. The goal with 0.2 seconds left...that's absolutely ridiculous. There SHOULD have been a interference call on the play, and obliviously with the Devils having the lead, they would have won. Similarity, Scott Walker SHOULD have been suspended for punching Aaron Ward in the face. If Ward wanted to fight, then square off with him, not punch him in the face so you won't get hurt. It was a selfish act and he should have got at LEAST 2 games IMO, hence putting him out of game 7 win which he scored the game winning goal. 2 DIFFERENT times in these playoffs that the Carolina Hurricanes SHOULD have been eliminated, yet they are one of the 4 teams remaining. Its sick, just sick.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

I can't believe that the Hurricanes are in the Conference finals. If the canes go to the finals against the Wings, I have no choice but to go for the wings, despite being a huge leafs fan. I feel as though, the Canes have lucked there way to the finals. For one, I don't even think they should have beaten New Jersey. The goal with 0.2 seconds left...that's absolutely ridiculous. There SHOULD have been a interference call on the play, and obliviously with the Devils having the lead, they would have won. Similarity, Scott Walker SHOULD have been suspended for punching Aaron Ward in the face. If Ward wanted to fight, then square off with him, not punch him in the face so you won't get hurt. It was a selfish act and he should have got at LEAST 2 games IMO, hence putting him out of game 7 win which he scored the game winning goal. 2 DIFFERENT times in these playoffs that the Carolina Hurricanes SHOULD have been eliminated, yet they are one of the 4 teams remaining. Its sick, just sick.

The Hurricanes are a feast or famine team. They do well or they fail to make the tournament. I've been to a game at all four venues left and two were playoff loses years ago, so I may root for my favorite, but I will keep that to myself.

Please don't use "should haves". We went through all of that with "Max" and the fastest earlier this month. Carolina won two game 7s on road ice.

Now I very much agree with you on the lack of Scott Walker suspension. It still looks to me that Walker was the third man in and totally coldcocked Ward and he got no games off? While the NHL is riding high on these series, the resinding of a game suspension makes it worse than the NBA's discipline and more like the WWE. They defied their own rulebook, like si.com Jim Kelley wrote.

Hearing an announcer say, "You just have to be ready", is bogus. What is next, bringing the foil? I am alarmed that even in this thread there were less than four comments on that hit going back to Sunday through Tuesday.

If that means the scoreboard can blow up and the roof gets to open, I'm all for it.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

Archived