Milwaukee Brewers re-design

Gothamite

I've never liked the Brewers re-design, but then again I wasn't terribly impressed with the ball and glove logo when I first saw it in 1978.

So what's a Brewer fan to do? Concept time!

3447743304_28e0efb550_o.png3447743322_44fba3c546_o.png

For me, it all starts with bringing back the one, the original, Beer Barrel Man. Symbol of Milwaukee baseball since at least 1901. Time he finally made the sleeves.

The script font on the home jersey is Saloonkeeper, based on the script used by Leinenkugel's. The road wordmark is based on a 1930s Pabst Blue Ribbon label.

The color scheme utilizes the blue and gold influenced by the current colors (the only thing I really flat-out love about the current scheme). I've moved the home uniform to a light cream to reflect Milwaukee's nickname as The Cream City, as well as the various historical baseball teams known as the "Creams" and "Cream Citys". Not a huge fan of cream uniforms, but I like the historical nod in this case.

I included the shoulder piping not only because it has an historal precedent, but would also create a pattern currently unique in the majors. Another way to instantly identify the team. The Brewers used a similar thick piping from 1996-1999, and it looked great.

The numbers are what I call a simple square block. Again, they could be as easily identifiable as the San Francisco Giants' numbers are, without either drawing too much attention or sacrificing legibility. FWIW, I'm basing these on a number font worn by the Packers in the 1940s.

The cap logo... well, I've always wanted to use a bottlecap in a Brewers concept. A different way of referencing the industry. And the block "M" on the bottlecap clearly references the Milwaukee Braves and the Brewers of the 1940s... okay, I'm officially overthinking this one. :D

So there you go. Heavily influenced by the past while being (I hope) distinctive and modern enough to work today. C&C, please.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love it. The only thing I don't like is the last E on the away jersey. If it was like the E before it, I'd be totally nuts over this design.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

That is one beautiful Brewers set. I love the piping. The home script is beautiful. I don't mind the away script at all, and I think it works. Everything from the barrel man to the cap logo looks wonderful. Great job!

Absolutely love the piping and the wordmark on the home jersey. The cap logo is very clever, but I'm not sure if it would look great in reality; I think the rotated M would look off to me. I also can't make up my mind on the road wordmark. The last E is odd, and the typeface doesn't seem to go with the rest of the identity.

But all in all, I really like this. I think if you improve the road wordmark (and maybe play with the cap logo), you'll have a superb concept.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

First impression: Love it!

After reading the rationale: WANT!

I absolutely dig the usage of the Leinenkugel's-based script. Still gives off that brewing vibe and gives a nod to a quality 'Sconsin brew. I did not know that Milwaukee was nicknamed "The Cream City," but now I don't know why they shouldn't use a cream uniform. Just awesome all around.

The cap logo is different, but I dig it. A different take that still complements the whole package.

As Thad mentioned before, what's with the tilde thing on the last E? Fix that and you've got yourself a winner.

Seriously. Fantastic.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

My only crit is that the home and away scripts don't really compliment each other.

That being said this looks awesome. I love that cap logo and the retro style piping on the uniforms, nicely done.

This is a very good concept, but I do agree with kewp. Also, I would try to make the M's on the cap and the road script match.

Your layout is very interesting, too. I can't say I've seen many concepts organized that way. But I like it.

Wow. This is an awesome concept. I love the cap logo. It is a little different, but I could get used to it. The barrel man logo on the jersey is perfect. The home script is really nice. I'm not so sure about the road script though. The M doesn't seem to fit. The last E looks kinda wierd. And finally, the striping. It is not bad, but it just looks wierd. It looks too thick or something. And I'm not sure about the stripe on the shoulder.

This is a great concept. I really like all of the ideas. Nice presentation, too.

Well done, overall. Two things though: 1) Would a team that plays in Miller Park want the Leinie's script on their jerseys? Probably not. Don't get me wrong, it looks good, but it directly conflicts with the team's beer sponsor. 2) The road script doesn't fit the scheme at all. You've done a wonderful job tying the other elements to some type of logic, but then this road script comes out of left field. I would suggest using a block font that matches the M on the cap.

That's my two cents?

i'm a hardcore brewer fan. this is very original. i love the home script, the road script is ok. the barrel man needs to be on there somewhere, thank you for a concept that includes him. i think the ball and glove shouldve been kept in some respect, because that is how most people recognize us, even if you don't like it. I am not crazy over the bottle cap design, but kudos on being original. I had never thought of that nor seen it. Great job! The history put into this jersey is cool and would make for a good story, but the one thing is that most fans won't understand the reasons for certain elements of the jersey. I don't really like the shoulder piping, but that's just me. Even though I would only give it a 7/10, this is probably the most unique brewers concept I've ever seen. solid job

ccslcsig2.pngccslcsig3.pngupdate.gifccslcsig1.pngccslcsig4.png

"That ball has a hit in it, so I want it to get back in the ball bag and goof around with the other balls in there. Maybe it'll learn some sense and come out as a pop-up next time," Mark "The Bird" Fidrych

Like said before, the piping helps this concept a lot. The bottlecap is a great idea, but I don't think it should be a hat logo. The home script is beautful, but the road script isn't spot on. I think a cursive Milwaukee would look a little better, and it would compliment the home script perfectly. Good use of the colors, too.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

When I first looked at it, I thought it was cool, but not really anything special. But after reading the storyline and all the thought you put into it, it made me really like it. I'm not totally sure what I think about the bottlecap on the cap, it's a very neat idea, though. And as everyone has mentioned, the road script is a litle strange. But overall, I think this is a very original and cool concept. Great job!

ph_407812.jpgNickAdenhart.pngph_458675.jpg

I love the home uniform in its entirety, except for maybe the bottlecap on the hat. I like the idea of the bottlecap, but it just looks strange as the primary cap logo. Although, it wouldn't make a whole lotta sense to put it on the sleeve, since you've already got Barrelman on there. I checked out saloonkeeper, and I really think the Milwaukee on the roads would look better as that, rather than the different font. Either that, or maybe a block font to match the "M" on the bottle cap, to make some congruence there. Sock stripes might be nice as well, with the whole retro feel, but the solid socks look fine as well. All in all, great stuff here.

holy hell this is fantastic. i mean wow. i am a die-hard ball 'n' glove fan, nothing would take that away from me.....except this.

The "Milwaukee" script looks a little strange with the tail on the E, and i don't know how well the number font fits in with the text font but that brewers script...my lord, just incredible.

WELL done! Milwaukee needs you.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

I like both logos, but both are secondary logos. Both fonts are nice, but I would keep the home font and change the away font to something more plain (something like what the Yankees use). The overall retro feel suits Milwaukee and this design works quite well.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Well done, overall. Two things though: 1) Would a team that plays in Miller Park want the Leinie's script on their jerseys? Probably not. Don't get me wrong, it looks good, but it directly conflicts with the team's beer sponsor. 2) The road script doesn't fit the scheme at all. You've done a wonderful job tying the other elements to some type of logic, but then this road script comes out of left field. I would suggest using a block font that matches the M on the cap.

That's my two cents…

oh, and SABMiller owns Leinie's....i don't think it'll be a big problem... :)

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

Archived