2009 Stars and Stripes

Brian E

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, so we saw the Blue Jays' hat and Canada Day jersey. Well the red is a trend. In fact, the Stars and Stripes Caps are BACK for 2009 and now they're all red.

sands09.jpg

but check out this possible development. Teams are selling Stars and Stripes replica jerseys that look like they match the hat:

sands09jersey.jpg

Could teams be wearing an authentic version of these to solve the matching problem? Or will the whole thing look like a bigger pile of crap come Memorial Day weekend?

I kinda like these as a one-day celebration piece.

One day a year and most likely 9/11 it's a great honor to your country and to me it doesn't matter if it looks like crap.

Surely thats a comment that should get you expelled from this board. :blink:

Sacrilege.

I agree with NEW.ERA.PANDA.

They have their heads in the right place when honoring our own country on 4th of July and Patriot Day. If it turns out like crap, which I never thought it has (and I don't think it will), oh well.

That's almost like saying the American flag is ugly, so I won't honor it.

Or disliking your favorite teams because of the jerseys they just began wearing.

Something along those lines.

Just in case anyone (and I am not saying anyone did) thought I was being totally serious, I was only commenting on the fact that on this site of all sites, NEP had said that it didn't matter what a sports uniform looked like.

I think the difference with honouring the flag, though, is profound. The flag, any national flag, represents something almost spiritual. As others have hinted, these shirts and cap at least in part represent something less, a marketing opportunity at the very least. In a sense, even over and above what the flag code says, vulgarising the flag onto sports equipment like this does the flag a disservice.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I'm willing to bet that it's going to look like a pile of crap, just because I can't see the Yankees wearing any sort of red in their uniform, ever.

In this whole discussion, the last thing in the world I'm worried about is what a red hat will do to the most over rated uniform in history, the stinkin' yankees.

I'm willing to bet that it's going to look like a pile of crap, just because I can't see the Yankees wearing any sort of red in their uniform, ever.

In this whole discussion, the last thing in the world I'm worried about is what a red hat will do to the most over rated uniform in history, the stinkin' yankees.

agreed. but like 'em or hate 'em, it is true that their "tradition" probably factors into the equation when it comes to this thing. this is a team afterall that got out of wearing league-issued dugout jackets and bp jerseys and hats for years because of their moaning.

sig2024.png

agreed. but like 'em or hate 'em, it is true that their "tradition" probably factors into the equation when it comes to this thing. this is a team afterall that got out of wearing league-issued dugout jackets and bp jerseys and hats for years because of their moaning.

I'm no Yankees fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I wish that my team would have the stones to stand up against tacky caps, jackets, manufacturer logos, and other cheesy marketing gimmicks.

I'd bet that most of us on this board would feel the same way.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I agree. Those BP caps have got to go! Thank god the Red Sox' BP caps and BP jerseys have no contrasting colors (except arm pits on jerseys). Anyway, I don't think that teams will be wearing Stars & Stripes jerseys because they'd have to have home and away, right? Seems way too tacky for some teams.

I'm no Yankees fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I wish that my team would have the stones to stand up against tacky caps, jackets, manufacturer logos, and other cheesy marketing gimmicks.

I'd bet that most of us on this board would feel the same way.

again, agreed. i'm just saying that keeping that in mind will probably prevent the yankees from adapting the promotion, thus the jerseys are probably just strictly replicas. believe me. i WISH my team would stand up and right the wrongs with their unis.

sig2024.png

I really, really hope this is just a lackluster preview image.

pMLB2-6028721dt.jpg

I really hope the authentic on-field product has the correct number font...and I really hope the backs end up being exactly the same as the regular home jerseys, meaning no names and the same exact font.

From today's New York Times:

The Yankees will probably wear red caps for the first time in their history on May 25 at Texas. Major League Baseball has issued red caps for all teams, incorporating a flag design within the team logo, to be worn on Memorial Day, July 4 weekend and Sept. 11. The Yankees have not officially agreed to wear the cap ? which was blue last season ? but they seem likely to go along with it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/19/sports/b...3c9LfN5b23n0TxQ

The Yankees are torn between two of their biggest fetishes here: Self-Righteous Uniform Purity and Tacky Expressions of Patriotism. Their ultimate fetish - the ability to make money - will probably push this over the top. I could see these hats flying off the shelves here, and I could see myself vomiting every time I see someone wearing one.

Didn't the A's wear a Stars and Stripes jersey on the Fourth a few years back?

It wasn't stars and stripes, but it was navy and red. The cap was navy with a red bill. The whole package was very reminiscent of the 1987-90 Chicago White Sox, and it looked damn good - in other words, the complete opposite of this pandering, money-grubbing, lowest-common-denominator, boot-in-yer-ass-faux-patriotism crap.

And IIRC, the responses to Lukas on what portion the "portion of the proceeds" actually is alternated between evasive and silent.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This is just hideous top to bottom. First of all, there should not be league-sponsored uniform days, period. If certain teams want to be patriotic, then they can do so (kind of like St Patty's Day uniforms in the NBA). At most the MLB should offer a patch if they really want to.

Secondly, this is nothing more than a money grab by the MLB and is in no way symbolic of patriotism (although I guess you could call it symbolic of Americanism...)

Thirdly, from an aethetic perspective, it's just terrible looking. How are the A's going to look with red caps? Or the Rockies? Just a bad idea all around.

The simple American Flag patch worn on the left side of team's caps was just fine.

I know it had its faults, most notably the glue not holding and the flag sliding all over the place, but a logical solution would be to sew the patch into the cap as was done immediately after Sept. 11, 2001.

This create-a-uniform-for-patriotic-profit has gone too far.

Archived