Most Overused Nicknames in Sports

hettinger_rl

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My former(by former I mean I'm a graduate) high school's nickname is lame? the Salem Lions. However, our inter-county rivals were the West Washington Senators and the Eastern Musketeers?both of which I've always thought were kind of original.

I believe you meant "intra"

My cousins high school is the Solon Comets. I had never heard of any teams named the Comets until then.

O RLY?

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

My old high school was the Wolverines, colors maroon and gold, actual wolverine for a logo

My new high school is the Bulldogs, black and red, pretty boring. We do have a connection with the Gonzaga Bulldogs since Mark Few is from here, so we use Gonzaga's logo, still pretty weak though IMO.

you go to Creswell? I'm a graduate of Cottage Grove.

My high school is the Indians, one of two in our area. This is the breakdown of the schools around here-

Indians- 2

Red Raiders- 1

Wildcats- 2

Bulldogs-2

Tigers- 1

Bears- 1

Pirates- 1

Dragons- 1

Blue Devils- 2

Trojans- 2

Blue Jays- 1

Panthers- 1

Eagles- 1

Knights- 2

Bees-1

Vikings- 1

Huskies- 2

Cardinals-1

The only ones that are even somewhat original is Bees and Dragons.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Lots of boring names in the New Orleans area-- Tigers (3); Eagles, Wildcats, Bulldogs (several), Patriots, Cougars (2), etc.

And it's getting moreso. Post Katrina, with the shake-up in the Orleans Parish school system, we lost the Lawless Pythians in the lower 9th Ward, and the Fortier High Tarpons (with a great two-tone blue and silver scheme) became the Lusher Bulldogs (red and blue). And in Plaquemines Parish, the Boothville-Venice Oilers, Port Sulphur Bronchos (unusual spelling, at least) and Buras Wildcats became the South Plaquemines Hurricanes (the second team with that nickname in the metro area).

We still have a few very unusual and not too common ones:

McDonogh 35 Roneagles

St. Augustine Purple Knights

Lutheran Gryphons

Mandeville Skippers

Grace King Fighting Irish

De La Salle Cavaliers

and not too far away, in Bay St. Louis, MS, the St. Stanislaus Rock-a-chaws

It is what it is.

My high school was the Bulldogs. Some of the neighboring towns' names include the Indians, the Harbormen, the Green Wave, the Panthers, the Clippers, the Skippers, the Pirates, the Dragons, the Titans, the Lakers, the Sachems, the Blue Devils, the Presidents, the Red Raiders, and the Vikings.

My HS in NY was the Wildcats, our arch-rival was the Golden Eagles, we also played the Panthers, Colonials, and Waves. Not a lot of original team names. One that sticks out was the Bonnickers (West Hampton, NY). Back when I was in HS, a few friends and I tried to come up with a new nickname, based on the local Nuclear Plant, We were going to push for Mutants, but Atoms was popular. If only The Simpsons had been around, we could have been the Isotopes.

My old high school was the Wolverines, colors maroon and gold, actual wolverine for a logo

My new high school is the Bulldogs, black and red, pretty boring. We do have a connection with the Gonzaga Bulldogs since Mark Few is from here, so we use Gonzaga's logo, still pretty weak though IMO.

Oh really? Thats cool. By rule I'm supposed to hate you so sorry haha. It was weird going from Eugene to Creswell, its a major difference. Definitely a tighter nit group, Cottage Grove seems to be the same.

Oh really? Thats cool. By rule I'm supposed to hate you so sorry haha. It was weird going from Eugene to Creswell, its a major difference. Definitely a tighter nit group, Cottage Grove seems to be the same.

haha ya our towns are big rivals, and when we played each other man was it intense. i moved from Santa Clara to CG and it was very different as well, i did appreciate the community aspect tho.

My high school had the name "Warriors," but I think it excuses itself for having a kick butt logo. My junior high had the name "Eagles" with the Brigham Young logo.

The cool one though when I went to Jason B. Little Elementary School, known as the Little Rascals.

My High School was the Yellow Jackets. I always thought we should have been called the Commodores, since our town was named after Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry. Come to think of it, Hazards would have been a pretty kick-ass name.

The league is composed of:

-Panthers

-Cougars

-Generals

-Bobcats

-Wildcats

-Blue Devils

-Bulldogs (soon to be replaced by another Wildcats)

My college is definitely unique though with Golden Flashes.

spacer.png

Inh the region where I grew up, just outside Ottawa, ON... The capital of Canada, the local high school teams were:

Smiths Falls Redmen (Since changed, to RedHawks)

Carleton Place Bears and Golden Bears (Seniors)

Almonte Orangemen, then changed to Thunder, but basketball changed to "Naismiths" (the inventor of basketball was born within 5 miles of town)

St. John Catholic High School Spartans

Sharbot Lake Panthers

Notre Dame Catholic High School Flames

Perth Blue Devils

The 'established teams' all have/had colors in their names... The new schools do not. The Catholic schools are under 20 years old, so their names are less expected... Although, Spartans for a Roman Catholic school always befuddled me, and I was there from 9-Grad.

Commissioner, V League

http://vleague.vetsson.net

One nickname I haven't seen in here yet is the Highlanders. (Unless I missed it.)

That one belongs to Baldwin High School in Baldwin, PA (just call it Pittsburgh--you could spit from campus and it'll land in the "city limits"). Serves baldwin and Whitehall boroughs. With a cool logo to boot. And Paul Lukas' favorite color scheme: purple and white.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

One nickname I haven't seen in here yet is the Highlanders. (Unless I missed it.)

That one belongs to Baldwin High School in Baldwin, PA (just call it Pittsburgh--you could spit from campus and it'll land in the "city limits"). Serves baldwin and Whitehall boroughs. With a cool logo to boot. And Paul Lukas' favorite color scheme: purple and white.

I thought that one was somewhat common. though, then i might have small colleges more on the brain there.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived