Most Overused Nicknames in Sports

hettinger_rl

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whenever i look through CCSL I can't help but think that there are so many College and Pro teams that seem like they just weren't trying very hard to come up with a nickname and just picked a popular one. Because of this we have too look through a huge selection of certain nicknames. Example: Tigers, Bulldogs, Eagles, (post your least favorite).

My team was the Olympians!

I think Wildcats is the most overused. We have some original ones around here....Phoenix, Griffins and the Blazing Trojans (two schools merged their sports teams so the Blazers and Trojans becamse the Blazing Trojans)

In Division 1

13: Bulldogs

12: Tigers

10: Eagles

9: Wildcats

7: Bears

7: Panthers

5: Cougars

5: Huskies

5: Spartans

5: Rams

4: Bobcats

4: Aggies

4: Bisons

4: Owls

4: Hawks

4: Golden Eagles

If anyone can put all those nicknames to those schools be my guest.

Mine has to be the Wildcats very cliche in movies involving pee-wee, bantam, midget football teams, high schools or made up universities

Even more annoying is that there are 4 cases in the NCAA FBS of intraconference nickname duplication. Strangely enough, the 4 cases occur within two conferences:

SEC:

Bulldogs - Georgia and Miss. St.

Tigers - Auburn and LSU

WAC:

Aggies - New Mex. St. and Utah St.

Bulldogs - Fresno St. and La. Tech.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Fightin' _________

I was a Wildcat in highschool. A Centreville Wildcat.

Rebels is used a heck of a lot too.

Agreed on the "Fighting" aspect. Small world though since you went to Centreville. I went to Westfield, as a bulldog. None of us enjoyed the name, especially since some of the other choices were so unique. But AAO, have you noticed that our entire district is filled with overused mascots? Rams, Rebels, Cougars, Bulldogs, Wildcats, Hornets, Chargers.

Fightin' _________

I was a Wildcat in highschool. A Centreville Wildcat.

Rebels is used a heck of a lot too.

Agreed on the "Fighting" aspect. Small world though since you went to Centreville. I went to Westfield, as a bulldog. None of us enjoyed the name, especially since some of the other choices were so unique. But AAO, have you noticed that our entire district is filled with overused mascots? Rams, Rebels, Cougars, Bulldogs, Wildcats, Hornets, Chargers.

As an Oakton Cougar, I have to say that while the name "Cougars" is overused, there's nothing really unique about the school that could be used for a potential nickname. We're a 42 year-old school right next to an interstate. Who also win district titles.

But still, I wouldn't mind a new mascot, preferably one that can't be hunted. (long, strange story)

My high school was the Dreadnaughts, 1 of 2 in the country. Lakeland, FL is the other, and far more successful school that uses the name.

Same with my high school... one of two Purgolders in the country. Except the other school is only 70 miles to the west in Madison, making the uniqueness much less significant.

Ironically... our name got us cracked on by other schools for not having a "real" mascot... this coming from schools that used names like Tigers, Cardinals and Blue Devils. So it's nice to have somewhere like here to come to where people understand how dope our name was :D

My high school was the Dreadnaughts, 1 of 2 in the country. Lakeland, FL is the other, and far more successful school that uses the name.

Same with my high school... one of two Purgolders in the country. Except the other school is only 70 miles to the west in Madison, making the uniqueness much less significant.

Ironically... our name got us cracked on by other schools for not having a "real" mascot... this coming from schools that used names like Tigers, Cardinals and Blue Devils. So it's nice to have somewhere like here to come to where people understand how dope our name was :D

Your nickname coulda been the Tartans. But I'll digress... ^_^

Let's see: among Pensacola high schools, we had the Tigers, Eagles, Titans, Aggies, Gators, and Wildcats. Not exactly a beacon of originality there.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

My high school was the St Mary's Saints how original.

OT I know, but the local Catholic school is the St. Mary's Arch Angels.

My high school is unique as they are the Big Green Indians. Our area is not so unique. We have: Bulldogs (2), Eagles, Gators, Seahawks, Raiders, Panthers, Dolphins (also the mascot of the elementary I went to here), Patriots, Jaguars, Knights, and Royals. Over in the Pensacola area we've got: Patriots, Aggies, Gators, Chiefs, Crusaders, Fightin' Tigers, Eagles, Jaguars, Wildcats, and Titans.

In Tally there's: Baby Rattlers, Cougars, Pirates (they used to be the Unicorns, 100% true), Panthers, Lions, Cougars, Timberwolves, Trojans, Raiders, Seminoles, Marauders, and Eagles. Can you tell which two are the university schools? lol

My area does have another unique school. Laurel Hill School, home of the Hoboes[sic]. I :censored: you not. The town even has a sing that says "Home of the Fightin' Hoboes."

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

My old high school was the Wolverines, colors maroon and gold, actual wolverine for a logo

My new high school is the Bulldogs, black and red, pretty boring. We do have a connection with the Gonzaga Bulldogs since Mark Few is from here, so we use Gonzaga's logo, still pretty weak though IMO.

We were the Blue Devils...sort of common but not overly.

In our high school area we had:

Mustangs

Thoroughbreds

Warhorses (pretty unique)

Trojans

Hawks

Gators

Red Raiders

Vikings

Predators

War Eagles

My high schools team is the Sumter Gamecocks. I doubt there are too many schools with the name Gamecocks, since where I live is "The Gamecock City."

Sumter Gamecocks was always one of my favorite SC names - along with Eau Claire Shamrocks, Wade Hampton Generals, Mullins Auctioneers, and Barnwell Warhorses.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

My high schools team is the Sumter Gamecocks. I doubt there are too many schools with the name Gamecocks, since where I live is "The Gamecock City."

Sumter Gamecocks was always one of my favorite SC names - along with Eau Claire Shamrocks, Wade Hampton Generals, Mullins Auctioneers, and Barnwell Warhorses.

I've always liked Travelers Rest Devil Dogs and Summerville Green Wave for unique names

yeh, most of the unique names are either north, south or west of us. broken down by public/private:

public: Eagles, Panthers, Rebels (the stories behind all three names are more unique than the names themselves...in nutshell order: namesake tractor magnate's company symbol, Indian burial mound resembling a panther, and an early football coach's name sounded like 'rebels')

private: Angels, Crusaders, Hawks

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

My former(by former I mean I'm a graduate) high school's nickname is lame? the Salem Lions. However, our inter-county rivals were the West Washington Senators and the Eastern Musketeers?both of which I've always thought were kind of original.

Sigs are for sissies.

Archived