The "Anti-homer" thread

Timaa

I'm not sure if this is a decent idea for a thread, or if there's something similar already out there, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

With most sports themed message boards, there comes a lot of "homerism", or people who just blindly support their team to a fault. So, I figured in this thread, we can blatantly pick apart the uniforms, colors, logos, memorabilia, merchandise, etc...of our own teams. Criticize them all you want, however you want, but just make sure you're picking on your favorite team(s).

OK, I'll start with my beloved alma mater, Florida State University. My biggest pet peeve, that is constantly perpetrated, is the fact that yellow and gold are often used interchangeably. FSU's colors are Garnet and Gold, not Garnet and Yellow! I don't know if it's just easier to manufacture things that are yellow, instead of gold, but I hate that it seems completely arbitrary whether you'll see something that's FSU related in garnet and gold, or garnet and yellow.

I believe most of FSU's teams stay strictly garnet and gold now, but even as recently as back in the Warrick Dunn/Charlie Ward days, the football team had yellow in their jerseys. So, even though the university seems to, for the most part, stick to garnet and gold, there's just so much garnet and yellow "stuff" out there.

FSUyellowjersey.jpg

Garnet and Yellow "Noles" flags that are still run out on the field to this day.

Nolesyellowflags.jpg

Simply hideous! I hope nobody has ever bought one of these. Ever!

FSUyellowflag.jpg

Incorrect garnet and yellow "Chief Osceola head" logo.

fsu-logo_yellow.jpg

And finally, the correct garnet and gold "Chief Osceola head" logo, that was found right here on this board.

FSUlogogold.jpg

OK, rant over. I'd start a new post to pick apart the Flyers, but I know there are plenty of fellow Flyers fans on this board who can do the honors.

Alright, do your worst!

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I give them a bit of a slide as they use "Athletic Gold" instead of Yellow. That said, I agree with you 100% stick to the G&G. In modern times achieving the official gold is easier but it wasn't the easiest the get in the past. Even as recent as the Dunn Era.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

While it seems that your concept is valid, you have failed to many of the threads in which "ColorWerx" comments on the inability to match threads with official PANTONE colors. It is not like putting "Rit" dye onto a white canvas and Bingo!

Life is not perfect, these cannot be perfect. Relax.

Ahh, that Sports Illustrated cover brings me back. While all of my other friends grew up cheering for Georgia Tech or UGA, I became a Florida State fan. Today I'm one of the biggest FSU fans from south Georgia.

That being said, I ALWAYS avoided buying FSU gear that had the wrong colors. I am picky like that :) They have one of the best uniforms in the NCAA, but that yellow makes everything look crappy. haha.

I'm gonna mention one of my other favorite teams. The Atlanta Braves have one of the best home/road uniform combination in baseball. (I'm not even gonna get into the alternates on this post) but I hate that they started wearing their all blue hat with their regular road uniform. You have all this red on your uniform, and on the cap it's just blue. I know why they do it. They just want to be able to carry one cap on the road. But I still don't like it.

Ok, I'm game. I'll likely post pictures later, but I'll rattle off a few for now.

MTSU: Too much black in everything (the Blackout game in football, which bled over into hockey, and the softball team). Not enough silver/gray. Phasing out the MiddlE script from the women's basketball unis. And for football: too much monochrome, and the lack of blue cages and silver pants.

Florida: Basketball unis get worse every year. Almost like clockwork.

Braves: Gray road top needs to make more appearances. Numbers on the blue top need to be fixed. Minor league teams need better designs. And the little-a (Hank Aaron) throwbacks need to be around a lot more. Show me the feather!

Titans: Other than making the blues match up, we need more consistancy in our combos. If we had the white top worn with only one color of pants (two tops) on the road, the home "Titans Blue" top with 1 or two, and the alt Navy with just one color, that would simplify things a lot. No monochrome, no goofy 10th season patches, and no being the Oregon of the NFL. I love the navy and white tops, and could love the light blue with some work...but we should use no more than 5 combos all season...probably more like 4.

Grizz: Need an alt light blue set badly. Otherwise, pretty solid.

Preds: Hate the piping. The "Nashville" wordmark on the road uni has run its course. Don't screw up the alt.

Avs: One word: Mountains.

That's about enough for one 3am post. Peace.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

I cant stand how Texas A&M can't seem to pick just one version of their logo. The aTm logo has gone through several adjustments over the years with regards to the size and placement of the A and M. Starting in 2007, A&M decided to create a version of the logo where the A and M are bigger and centered under the ends of the T. This logo was placed on the helmet and on the field, however, they failed to change the logo on the pants so there you have the older version with the smaller A and M closer to the T. It annoys me how they have 2 versions of the same logo on one uniform.

Aggie_handoff_2007-09-08.jpg

helmet logo (new)

logoWhiteMaroon.jpg

pants logo (old)

TxAM_4659.gif

I give them a bit of a slide as they use "Athletic Gold" instead of Yellow. That said, I agree with you 100% stick to the G&G. In modern times achieving the official gold is easier but it wasn't the easiest the get in the past. Even as recent as the Dunn Era.

Here is what I have as far as Florida State's colors go:

FloridaStateU_OFF_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

FloridaStateU_OFF_2005_SOL_SRGB.png

That Yellow WAS official; in fact, I have found some examples on FSU's website that implies it still is...

Love this thread!

Pittsburgh Pirates - Use of the color red, non-matching black alt, the ownership sucks (sorry, had to put that in)!!

Pittsburgh Penguins - Use of vegas gold vs. the yellow gold of the city (and they used to have), the use of the powder blue alt. In 79-80, they took the philosophy that they needed to be black and gold to become a winner in the city of champs.

Boston Celtics - an abundance of green uniforms, black on the alt

TB Bucs - I wish they would do a better job of outlines. On the white jersey, they don't outline the wordmark, nameplate, or the ships. On the red, they don't outline the nameplate. I also wish they would wear red more than a few times per season.

Miami Hurricanes - The rumored black football jersey, a different football uni every two to three years, being one of Nike's experimental schools, lack of outlines on sports like baseball or basketball.

That's about it for now.

KISSwall09.jpg

I cant stand how Texas A&M can't seem to pick just one version of their logo. The aTm logo has gone through several adjustments over the years with regards to the size and placement of the A and M. Starting in 2007, A&M decided to create a version of the logo where the A and M are bigger and centered under the ends of the T. This logo was placed on the helmet and on the field, however, they failed to change the logo on the pants so there you have the older version with the smaller A and M closer to the T. It annoys me how they have 2 versions of the same logo on one uniform.

logoWhiteMaroon.jpg

pants logo (old)

TxAM_4659.gif

What about this one?

eatme_lg.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

just for clarification is Homer Simpson and Homer, author of the Odyssey not allowed to post in this thread. i'm just wondering...

Also, tough luck if you're Reds pitcher Homer Bailey, or former utility infielder Homer Bush.

Let me address the topic in short bursts:

• The Phillies can't get a custom order of non-stirrup socks with the liberty bells on the ankle?
  • The Eagles have too many colors in their current scheme. Pick one shade of gray, lose black, and find a way to use the full eagle with wings spread as a secondary. Tweak it to include the current Eagle head, if you must.
  • I reserve judgment on the 76ers until they actually show off the 09-10 uniform update, but if they're wise they'll be more "Detroit Pistons" in approach than "New York Jets."
  • Vanderbilt football has stupid piping, but they have little football tradition anyway especially in comparison to their SEC brethren.
  • Also a head scratcher - Vanderbilt basketball retaining the circusy numbers while adopting a SOD-style cut to their latest iteration of Nike uniforms. If I ever was in charge of that program I'd give them an argyle motif that copies UNC, just in Vandy colors. It would appease the preppy nature of the school.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Uhh... I would say yellow has much more of a place in our merchandise/apparel than black.

Black is a very prominent color in the Seminole Tribe. Those uniforms, according to Nike, are to honor their Unconquered spirit. Those uniforms, according to me, are a cash grab by Nike. Either way, I have no problem with black.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Uhh... I would say yellow has much more of a place in our merchandise/apparel than black.

Black is a very prominent color in the Seminole Tribe. Those uniforms, according to Nike, are to honor their Unconquered spirit. Those uniforms, according to me, are a cash grab by Nike. Either way, I have no problem with black.

I would agree, if we implemented Black in a way that wasn't so ostentatious, pandering, and blindly trend following. Like you said, it's an obvious cash grab by Nike. Regardless of what Nike says, I don't think there is any reason for a monochrome black uniform... now, a Black jersey with gold pants/helmet? Would look great, but because black monochrome is all the rage, we were one of Nike's unfortunate victims. Besides, our gold/garnet/gold set is one of the best in the nation, while black is absent, other than collar/sleeve cuffs.

Okay, let's go here...

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: look--I love the color scheme they have now. And, I like the logo(s). however, having said that, that logo is also starting to show its age just a little bit...might be time for a refreshening. Also...though no uniform in all of uniformdom will ever surpass the creamsicle orange and white in my mind, I really think it's time the Buccaneers just let go of the orange. Hardly any merch that's sold even includes the orange. And if the NFL can get over themselves, let them release a pewter third jersey!

Jacksonville Jaguars: Oh Lawd...where do I even start with this? You know what, I'll just say this: push the hands on the time clock back to the year 1998. Teal numbers on white jerseys. Shoot...I'll even take the original block numbers they had in '95. But this latest getup ain't doing it for me. Don't think it ever will.

Florida State Seminoles: I really have no qualms about this here. And, as a matter of fact, for some quirky reason, those early '90s sets were actually some of my favorite Seminole sets--golden-yellow jersey trim and all. It's one of those crazy quirks that people grow fond of sometimes, not unlike the misnatched silvers of the Cowboys (for the few people that do like that), or the 35 shades of gold of the New Orleans Saints--which, actually, I don't think anyone likes.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

With the Mets I have the same complaints as everyone else about the black. Personally they should ditch the black jerseys and one of the two black hats and come up with a blue alternate to replace it.

I don't have much problems with the Islander uniforms, considering I don't mind the set they have now, though I have to say I perfer if they were royal blue instead of navy. The alternates are a home run though and I can't wait to see them go full time. If they can make their next alternate an orange version of that I'd be very happy.

The Jets, on the other hand, are a mess. I didn't really like the move to the retro style when they changed it in 98, and I still don't like it that much today. I know a Jet is a hard team to come up with an identity, but they need to come up with something better than what they have now. Keep the shade of green they have now but find a way to have black in as a secondary color like they did in their previous set. Although black is overused, it goes nicely with the color green.

Onto my school of Syracuse. The football uniforms are one of the very few Nike actually did right. I know a lot of people want to go back to the McNabb era jerseys, but for some reason I feel they resemble what Illinois had too much. The basketball team also has very good jerseys and have one of the best SOD sets around. If anything I'd just switch the "Orange" on the home jerseys to "Syracuse", maybe get some striping on the side, and have Boeheim make them wear the navy jerseys once or twice a year, maybe for games at UConn or Georgetown, because those are sharp and one of the best alternates in the NCAA

The Syracuse lacrosse team, however, yikes. What they wore in 2008 was perfection.

39271545.jpgncaa_a_leveille1sw_sq_600.jpg

I loved how the away jerseys matched the basketball team's away jerseys and the home jerseys all in all were very sharp utilizing the navy. So then of course this year, they changed it up. And it wasn't good at all.

2227-26.jpg2280-129.jpg

What a mess. First of all, the school name underneath the number. If thats bad enough, they have absolutely no striping and are literally just white and orange. They look like prisonmates, to steal a term for what many called these uniforms, for goodness sakes. And they have to be the most plain lacrosse jerseys I've ever seen in my life. Look at all the other teams in the NCAA. Cornell, Virginia, Duke, Princeton, and dare I say the evil folks at Hopkins all do a nice job of striping, putting the school name above the number, etc. Now I will admit the white jerseys are sharp when they wear them with orange shorts like they did in the NCAA Tournament, but come on now. I hope that they change the jerseys back to what they were in 2008 next year. The problem is after what happened this year in the championship game, these jerseys are never going to be forgotten when I wanted them to never wear them period.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

For the people debating the gold vs. yellow vs. black, my whole point is that it all seems interchangeable, and arbitrary. I like it when a school/team has a distinct set of colors, and they stick to it. Don't get me wrong, I love the gold, and that's why I'd prefer everything to be garnet and gold, but if we want to get specific to the Seminole tribe of Florida, their flag is white, black, red (not sure if that's specifically garnet) and yellow. So, if yellow has a place in the set, then black certainly does. I just wish they'd either stick to just garnet and gold (although I do really appreciate the meaning behind the black, and don't mind it showing up once a season), or have gone with the 4 Seminole colors in the first place.

Seminoleflag-1.jpg

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

Winthrop Eagles: My main beef is with the shade of garnet. Our official colors are garnet and gold, but apparel comes in both garnet and red.

FF_342966_s.jpg vs. 001WinMiami.jpg

I also much prefer the 2007 jerseys to the generic, Nike-templated, standard block font (seen above) they've used for the past 2 years - although the neck is a little weird:

p1.martin.jpg

San Francisco 49ers:

frank-gore.jpg > 200952910315455742.jpg.

End of story.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived