Portland Trailblazers new uniforms?

Schilly

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the flubber? So one is a hardwood classic, and it is beautiful...and the other is a home alternate that needs new number treatment and a new wordmark on the front that DOESN'T say "ripcity"? Oh, and I am pretty sure Portland is referred to as R.I.P. City because of how many players have gone there only to see their careers die. (Darius Miles, Sam Bowie, Scottie Pippen, Chris Dudley, Greg Oden, Andre Miller...)

The white jersey itself is a good template, but the rip city ruins it. I would have rather seen the Rip City in the Blazers normal font/wordmark treatment.

But yeah, at least it isn't PDX.

I just heard about this on the radio. How ripiculous!

Large%20Rip%20City%20Roy%20Jersey.jpg

They should've put an outline around the script. Other than that, I actually like it. The NBA's had a history of funky uniforms, hell the Blazers' throwback for this season has a vertical script, that's about as funky as it gets. This Rip City uniform fits right in, and I've definitely heard them referred to that in almost all of the old NBA films from the 80s and 90s. So yeah, I get the nickname, nice way to pay homage to the nickname of the team.

So yeah, I like the uni.

Rip City isn't some new catch phrase, term, or marketing campaign. It's been around since the '70s, certainly at least the '80s. However, we don't get much press coverage nationwide, and certainly not of that nickname...but believe me, as a Portland native, it's a name that's been around a long time and is in the vernacular.

That said, I love it. I love that we're bringing back the championship season road reds as an away alternate completely untouched, and the design of the "rip city" shirt is great - it uses a modernized version of the old-style font:

porter.jpg

and has a pretty cool, simple design. Also, keep in mind these are the replica jerseys we're seeing - the final authentics will probably look a bit sharper.

harperdc.gif

You guys would have to actually go to Portland and see how much Rip City is embraced.

Which is why it's silly to put it on a sports jersey. Put it on fan t-shirts that will be sold locally, but not on a jersey that's just going to make the rest of the country go "huh?"

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You guys would have to actually go to Portland and see how much Rip City is embraced.

Which is why it's silly to put it on a sports jersey. Put it on fan t-shirts that will be sold locally, but not on a jersey that's just going to make the rest of the country go "huh?"

As someone who lives in Portland and understands the locals embrace of "rip city," I completely agree. It's a widely recognized regional nickname that almost nobody outside of Portland seems to recognize. It should have been left as a fan apparel.

But at the same time, I think it's hard to make the argument that this is just about making more money from jersey sales. I can't see why anybody would buy these outside of Oregon and Southwest Washington. Unless, of course, you like wearing shirts that prompt people to ask, "what does that mean?

As someone who lives in Portland and understands the locals embrace of "rip city," I completely agree. It's a widely recognized regional nickname that almost nobody outside of Portland seems to recognize. It should have been left as a fan apparel.

But at the same time, I think it's hard to make the argument that this is just about making more money from jersey sales. I can't see why anybody would buy these outside of Oregon and Southwest Washington. Unless, of course, you like wearing shirts that prompt people to ask, "what does that mean?

Yes, people don't know about it now, but you can't tell me that after this year, everyone who watches the Blazers play, in person, highlight, etc. and see's these jerseys won't at least add 1 and 1 and know that Portland=Rip City. I'm sure that anyone watching Sportscenter will hear a witty remark from a host about the history or something, or they may end up wiki'ing it for more info. This Rip City nickname will definitely become more known with these.

I guess I'm the only one that thinks they are alright

Not at all. I would make some minor changes but I still like em.

Ditto. It's an alternate jersey, in a league where alternate has come to mean the third color becomes the primary for some games.

The NBA has a long history of quirky uniforms, and this is just another.

Nice work, Portland.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived