Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Might as well add bsu, sdsu, UNLV and byu and then call it good

BYU probably won't get into a major conference until they drop their objection to playing on the Sabbath.

ALL college football teams play on the Sabbath (Saturday). BYU's objection is playing on Sunday, which is the "Lord's Day."

"The Lord's Day" is another way of saying "the Sabbath" in Judeo-Christian/Mormon tradition. Regardless of which specific day of the week it is, the concept is still the same.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Point is, on the seventh day (Sunday) God rested. Sunday is a big day in the Mormon religion. It is a day to be spent strictly with the lord and family. A true day of rest.

Actually, Saturday is the seventh day. Christians moved the holy day to Sunday because it's the day Jesus rose from the dead.

While Christians mainly treat the day with the same respect as the Jewish people do the Sabbath, most also recognize Jesus was chewed out for healing people on the Sabbath day, and replied to the detractors; "If your ox is stuck in a mire on the Sabbath, would you not still pull it out? Therefore, it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath; the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. Therefore, the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."

So, that's why apparently BYU is unique among the NCAA in absolutely refusing to play on that day.

bYhYmxh.png

I just told you why and you didnt accept it. That is how the Mormons see it. They are a little different than other Christian groups. I grew up in it. They also believe that Jesus was in North America scolding the Indians during his time between his death and resurrection.

• Like 1

Wow, I kicked off a 5h|t storm with that crack about women judges. Guess I forgot the sarcasm filter.

:therock:

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I really thought the Missouri Valley would pick UIC instead...with "Chicago" actually being part of the school's name in addition to-when's the last time Loyola even CONTENDED for a postseason spot?

bYhYmxh.png

Not to mention, Loyola doesn't even play baseball, which I thought was pretty important in the MVC, but apparently Loyola's promise to increase its athletic budget to $15M was enough for them. I would imagine the rest of the H-League is quite happy about this, since losing UIC or Valpo would've been much more damaging. Oakland is actually an upgrade over Loyola and makes the league the strongest its been since Butler left.

Been hearing rumors about UVA and Big Ten expansion. Virginia, UNC and others have long been under the microscope for possible Big Ten expansion, but the new wrinkle I'm hearing is related to divisional alignment in the B1G.

The conference has been dragging their feet for a long time on the new divisions. The most talked about option is an East/West split, with Indiana and Purdue carved up. Which school will go to which division is an otherwise (relatively) simple solution, but there's some buzz saying that the Big Ten brass is using this "massively difficult decision" as a stalling technique so they can keep tabs on the Maryland-ACC lawsuit.

It seems pretty likely that the Big Ten would expand again to 16 or more teams, so I'm also forced to believe that they would already have some mock divisional alignments in place. It would be legendarily short-sighted if they didn't.

So, long story short -- if Maryland wins the suit, the B1G is free to raid more ACC schools and possibly lay out their 16/18/20 team alignment plan. If the ACC wins, then the B1G just rolls ahead with the East/West split for now and puts the larger plan on the backburner.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I really thought the Missouri Valley would pick UIC instead...with "Chicago" actually being part of the school's name in addition to-when's the last time Loyola even CONTENDED for a postseason spot?

Creighton's replacement was going to be a private school-the MVC private schools would rather they were not completely dominated by their public brethren. Additionally, despite Illinois-Chicago's higher budget and greater student body, it does have some problems. Such as being an Illinois public school and therefore eating budget cuts from now until eternity.

That said, chasing after Chicago for "recruits" (outside of the elite players anyway) is a fool's errand. Shame nobody has figured that out yet.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Been hearing rumors about UVA and Big Ten expansion. Virginia, UNC and others have long been under the microscope for possible Big Ten expansion, but the new wrinkle I'm hearing is related to divisional alignment in the B1G.

The conference has been dragging their feet for a long time on the new divisions. The most talked about option is an East/West split, with Indiana and Purdue carved up. Which school will go to which division is an otherwise (relatively) simple solution, but there's some buzz saying that the Big Ten brass is using this "massively difficult decision" as a stalling technique so they can keep tabs on the Maryland-ACC lawsuit.

It seems pretty likely that the Big Ten would expand again to 16 or more teams, so I'm also forced to believe that they would already have some mock divisional alignments in place. It would be legendarily short-sighted if they didn't.

So, long story short -- if Maryland wins the suit, the B1G is free to raid more ACC schools and possibly lay out their 16/18/20 team alignment plan. If the ACC wins, then the B1G just rolls ahead with the East/West split for now and puts the larger plan on the backburner.

Did you see this? They wont get there unless they leave for the B1G or SEC.

I hadn't seen that piece on UNC. Despite what critics say about the rivalry with Duke, I honestly think UNC and UVA are probably the next two dominoes in the Big Ten's plan.

UyDgMWP.jpg

I hadn't seen that piece on UNC. Despite what critics say about the rivalry with Duke, I honestly think UNC and UVA are probably the next two dominoes in the Big Ten's plan.

This wouldn't surprise me, although wasn't there the rumor of Georgia Tech going with them as well?

baltimoreravens.png

UVA, UNC and GT are the three ACC names that come up most. Kansas and Mizzou come up often, too.

I'd love for the Big Ten to just everyone in the nuts and take Oklahoma and Texas. It'll never happen, but Neb/Ok/Tex vs Mich/tOSU/PSU would be pretty damn solid ways anchor divisions.

UyDgMWP.jpg

Personally, I think 20 works out better than 16. I don't think for one second that the B1G TEN doesn't have at least the outline for a 20 team conference in mind. Just think, 4 divisions of 5 schools. You play every team in your division every year and 1 team from each of the other divisions on a rotatings basis. You have your 8 league games and will still be able to schedule to warm up games and 2 out of conference games.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Personally, I think 20 works out better than 16. I don't think for one second that the B1G TEN doesn't have at least the outline for a 20 team conference in mind. Just think, 4 divisions of 5 schools. You play every team in your division every year and 1 team from each of the other divisions on a rotatings basis. You have your 8 league games and will still be able to schedule to warm up games and 2 out of conference games.

It's not a Conference if a member team only comes to town once a decade.

Today, we are all otaku.

OCC opponents are asking for more and more to travel and play what you consider the "warm up games" which are games which are gathering lower and lower attendance. That is why they ware going to a nine game conference schedule since they keep the revenue together. Remember the B1G is the only conference which has revenue sharing for conference games. Thirty-five percent of all conference home gate revenue is pooled and equally split at the end of the season. They also do this for men's hoops.

A 20-team league could also force a network to only want to pay for half, like it was only the NFC contract and force unequal contract worth. Then again, nearly 1 million households annually are becoming Zero TV, so that combined with Aereo, conferences have to look into other areas for digital revenue sooner than later, so that SEC Network set for August 2014 is running off of a dying business model before it hits the air.

It's not a Conference if a member team only comes to town once a decade.

Twice per decade. ;)

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES