Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

The slimeball commissioners of the "Big Five" are pretty much the last people who should be proposing change in the NCAA, since they're the ones running the cartel that brought college sports into this mess.

Upset that Boise State lack of professional degrees don't get you to the Power 5 table?

OK, how does a lack of professional degrees correlate to the fact that Boise State isn't in a 'Power 5' conference? I think you're making up :censored: to piss off Lights Out.

Boise State has only eight programs which award terminal degrees (PhD or ED) with a ninth one for nursing on the way in August, but it an online course. Heck, even TCU, Baylor and Wake Forest offer more.

The slimeball commissioners of the "Big Five" are pretty much the last people who should be proposing change in the NCAA, since they're the ones running the cartel that brought college sports into this mess.

Upset that Boise State lack of professional degrees don't get you to the Power 5 table?

OK, how does a lack of professional degrees correlate to the fact that Boise State isn't in a 'Power 5' conference? I think you're making up :censored: to piss off Lights Out.

Boise State has only eight programs which award terminal degrees (PhD or ED) with a ninth one for nursing on the way in August, but it an online course. Heck, even TCU, Baylor and Wake Forest offer more.

But it still doesn't answer my question. What does having a lack of professional degrees at a college have to do with the fact that Boise State isn't in a 'Power 5' conference?

But it still doesn't answer my question. What does having a lack of professional degrees at a college have to do with the fact that Boise State isn't in a 'Power 5' conference?

Because ultimately at the Power 5 level, the schools do share ties beyond athletics. There are research consortia and academic associations. Boise State's status as a community college with a really good football team, nothing else in athletics, and a medium-to-small media market means its paths to Power 5 status are non-existent.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

'rams80' added more detail to the answer, plus since Boise State is not currently within the "Power 5", there is no legislative power to influence future inclusion, as what occurred with Baylor leaving TCU and SMU aside to join the Big XII alone as a private school years ago.

The "Power 5" currently has 65 schools, so if they split from the NCAA, which is somewhat unlikely in July 2013 they would have other issues within the 65 as former compliance director, John Infante talks about in two Bylaw Blog posts.

Post 1 (The UNC AD mentioned that the new "division" may have to sponsor 24 sports)

Post 2 (A look at a "division" which schools must sponsor 24 sports)

'rams80' added more detail to the answer, plus since Boise State is not currently within the "Power 5", there is no legislative power to influence future inclusion, as what occurred with Baylor leaving TCU and SMU aside to join the Big XII alone as a private school years ago.

Boise State considers the following list as "Peer Institutions" : Fresno State, Cleveland State, Georgia State, IUPUI, UTSA, San Francisco State, Portland State, Akron, UMass-Boston, UMKC and they aspire to be UNLV/George Mason/UW-Milwakuee

The "Power 5" currently has 65 schools, so if they split from the NCAA, which is somewhat unlikely in July 2013 they would have other issues within the 65 as former compliance director, John Infante talks about in two Bylaw Blog posts.

Post 1 (The UNC AD mentioned that the new "division" may have to sponsor 24 sports)

Post 2 (A look at a "division" which schools must sponsor 24 sports)

• 1 month later...

So I was looking some stuff up & it turns out that Appalachian State, Georgia State & Idaho & New Mexico State are all joining Sunbelt in 2014.

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/CONFERENCENEWS/Article/tabid/1218/article/19997/Sun-Belt-Set-to-Grow-in-2014.aspx

EDIT:

Whoops Georgia State is in there but I actually meant Georgia Southern, my mistake, I guess that's what happens when I post late at night. :sleeping:

Edited by rvrdgsfn

baltimoreravens.png

So I was looking some stuff up & it turns out that Appalachian State, Georgia State & Idaho & New Mexico State are all joining Sunbelt in 2014.

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/CONFERENCENEWS/Article/tabid/1218/article/19997/Sun-Belt-Set-to-Grow-in-2014.aspx

Idaho?

I suppose it's about the only place for them to wind up, really. You can make a geographic stretch for NMSU since they're pretty much in the same southern sunshine region, but it seems odd that a state who borders Canada would be in the SunBelt conference with schools who are ~100 miles from Cuba.

--edit--

Apparently, Idaho and NMSU were original members of the SunBelt back in 2001 and left in 2004. Who knew?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

The "Bill the Cat" Conference probably doesn't want anything to do with a school that had faculty vote on a recommendation to drop back down on I-AA after the first year in I-A. Regardless of ZOMG! BOSTON MEDIA FOOTPRINT!!!!1111one

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's only a matter of time before UMass football is a non-scholarship Patriot League affiliate. Except for hockey, lacrosse, and maybe a handful of basketball programs, the Northeast is a wasteland for college sports... especially football.

It's only a matter of time before UMass football is a non-scholarship Patriot League affiliate. Except for hockey, lacrosse, and maybe a handful of basketball programs, the Northeast is a wasteland for college sports... especially football.

Largely true, and the local talent that wants to stay in the New England area typically winds up at BC, Syracuse or maybe Rutgers.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Largely true, and the local talent that wants to stay in the New England area typically winds up at BC, Syracuse or maybe Rutgers.

Syracuse and Rutgers aren't in New England.

Are Arkansas-Little Rock and Texas-Arlington going to stay football free in the Sun Belt?

Yes. Arkansas-Fayetteville isn't going to create another rival for the affections of Arkansans except maybe as a way to escape War Memorial Stadium for good (AKA the "UAB" strategy.) Arlington doesn't want to expend the resources to add football either.

Today, we are all otaku.

And God bless them for it. Maybe they really are our cultural betters.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Depends on your definition of "wasteland". For bigtime college football, yeah - the northeast is a pro region. A lot of that IMO has to do with the sheer number of ivy league and other top tier insitutions that don't play or or aren't D1, plus that there are so many transplants in Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, DC, etc. due to the economic conditions in those areas and the amount of jobs / good schools. It's just not as partisan as certain parts of the south, where everyone in a 100 mile radius of a SEC school is born there, grows up there, attends said school (or not even), and lives there as an adult. Obviously that's a dangerous generalization, but I'm exaggerating a little bit to make my point. It's different - not better or worse, just different.

Pro fandom is more regional and less partisan than college, since out of say 6M people in the Phila metro area, they may have gone to 000s of different colleges which dilutes the fan base of any of them, yet most of the non-transplants will follow the local pro team.

It could be argued that the same factors that make the northeast such a "wasteland" for big time college sports are the same factors that make it the best region for pro sports.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."