Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

4 hours ago, heavybass said:

A lot of good schools in that list... which makes it fascinating history wise.

What I'm especially curious about is how USD Torero football has managed to survive this long, given that their closest in-conference opponent is 1,744 miles away.

bYhYmxh.png

Pioneer League, but similar rules.

Real reason USD hacks it is that they are a private school which can do private school things.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

4 hours ago, heavybass said:

Grand Valley State is rumored to be moving up to FCS via the OVC in 2023.

I know the OVC needs bodies fast after Austin Peay bolted for the ASUN, but GVSU is a little bit far away from the rest of the conference. The nearest school is Eastern Illinois and that's not a short trip. Not to mention that the GLIAC, their home conference, would be in deep if they left as they're already down to 10 schools (6 for football) thanks to Northwood joining the G-MAC next season (as has a large chunk of former GLIAC members).

I still think Lindenwood would be an ideal candidate if they want a D2 school, but Chicago State could make an interesting case for OVC membership...

Yes and yet no because they have a couple good sugar daddies in the Illinois legislature.

• Like 2
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On 12/1/2021 at 8:41 PM, Dilbert said:

The OVC is in need of football schools and Chicago State is not one of them.

Not yet at least. They're considering adding football. Not sure how far along in the decision making process they are but it's a distinct possibility.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

On 12/1/2021 at 7:41 PM, Dilbert said:

The OVC is in need of football schools and Chicago State is not one of them.

Good news! It would appear that Little Rock is joining and they also don't have football and have no intentions of adding it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Good news! It would appear that Little Rock is joining and they also don't have football and have no intentions of adding it.

I heard rumblings a couple years ago that they were in the middle of a feasibility study and would give us the results soon...but have heard nothing since.

In the OVC, there's no pressure on them to add it...if we ever see Trojan football at War Memorial Stadium, it'll be because THEY want to do it, not because of any higher-ups.

On that note, I also heard that UTA's expected to join the Missouri Valley...

bYhYmxh.png

4 hours ago, Burmy said:

I heard rumblings a couple years ago that they were in the middle of a feasibility study and would give us the results soon...but have heard nothing since.

The results were real bad. Little Rock football ain't happening.

9 minutes ago, Burmy said:

And Little Rock is officially in the OVC...press conference is tomorrow.

It's a great move for the OVC... But I don't know if it's a great fit for Little Rock.

The OVC needed someone... Hell, anyone, to join that was already a fully fledged D-I school. Little Rock fits that.

I just don't know how Little Rock helps the OVC itself unless the conference was happy to get a school that was, for all intents and purposes, pushed out by the Sun Belt and its moves being more catered to football.

2 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

It's a great move for the OVC... But I don't know if it's a great fit for Little Rock.

The OVC needed someone... Hell, anyone, to join that was already a fully fledged D-I school. Little Rock fits that.

I just don't know how Little Rock helps the OVC itself unless the conference was happy to get a school that was, for all intents and purposes, pushed out by the Sun Belt and its moves being more catered to football.

It was this. The Sun Belt is a football-centric conference. It took 20 years, but that's where we are now. I wish all the best to Little Rock on their future endeavors and hope Arkansas State still plays home-and-homes with them every year in basketball. I believe the Ohio Valley was the home that was suggested when LR was sort of kind of looking at football. Best wishes to them. But also I hate them. Just in a sports way though.

Remember when the Sun Belt included Denver? I love the city of Denver, they even have my favorite NFL team, but boy did they not fit in with a conference of public schools in the south.

On 12/9/2021 at 2:31 AM, Wings2 said:

With BYU leaving for the Big 12 and Gonzaga possibly leaving down the road, I've always thought Seattle & Denver would be good additions to the WCC. 

With BYU leaving, pretty much every school is on the Pacific or reasonably close too it, with the exception of the Zags, so I'm not sure if Denver makes the most sense

On 12/9/2021 at 12:31 AM, Wings2 said:

With BYU leaving for the Big 12 and Gonzaga possibly leaving down the road, I've always thought Seattle & Denver would be good additions to the WCC. 

Seattle would probably be preferable for a few reasons...

-Closer to the rest of the conference

-Better regional fit

-History with the WCC (Former member from 1971-1980)

-Private school with religious backing

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Seattle would probably be preferable for a few reasons...

-Closer to the rest of the conference

-Better regional fit

-History with the WCC (Former member from 1971-1980)

-Private school with religious backing

What's more, with the WAC focusing more on football going forward, the non-football schools are probably looking at alternate conference destinations anyway.

bYhYmxh.png