Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Tennessee State being needed by the OVC doesn't mean jack. Tennessee State having ambitions of going to FBS is not new. The NCAA isn't going to give TSU a waiver like they gave Liberty. The MAC has already said no to central Tennessee, the Sun Belt might kick the tires as Tennessee State does bring a solid fan base with them (which the SBC values more than being in Nashville) but the most logical landing spot is CUSA.

Tennessee State seems to have embraced the "athletics are the front porch of the university" mentality. They were (and maybe still are) considering the SWAC, though I think the Jackson State/Southern Heritage Classic debacle soured that. They're considering jumping up to FBS (probably more so now after the aforementioned debacle). They've even moved beyond just the feasibility study and are pursuing funding to launch men's and women's hockey programs.

• Like 3

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Didnt see that one coming. Guess its time to guess who will replace them in the WAC as the WAC will need a new football member. Central Arkansas, Eastern Kentucky, and Jacksonville State are supposed to be in the ASUN for that conference first FCS season in 2022. For 2022 it leaves Abilene Christian, Dixie State, Lamar (leaving after 2022), Sam Houston State (leaving after 2022), Stephen F Austin, Tarleton State, and Southern Utah (joining in 2022). For 2023 it leaves 5 schools. UTRGV could start their football program early but other wise arent scheduled until 2024.

Signature intentionally left blank

16 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Didnt see that one coming. Guess its time to guess who will replace them in the WAC as the WAC will need a new football member. Central Arkansas, Eastern Kentucky, and Jacksonville State are supposed to be in the ASUN for that conference first FCS season in 2022. For 2022 it leaves Abilene Christian, Dixie State, Lamar (leaving after 2022), Sam Houston State (leaving after 2022), Stephen F Austin, Tarleton State, and Southern Utah (joining in 2022). For 2023 it leaves 5 schools. UTRGV could start their football program early but other wise arent scheduled until 2024.

That's where Incarnate Word comes in. They will join the WAC next season alongside Southern Utah (and non-football school UTA).

They're at eight for 2022. Lamar and Sam Houston State leave, dropping them to 6 schools in 2023. Rio Grande Valley's football program comes in for 2024, giving the WAC seven football playing schools in the foreseeable future.

There's two ways the WAC can go about this: Either convince one of the non-football schools to start a program or snatch another school from another conference. I personally think asking one of the non-football schools might be easier to do.

On 4/7/2022 at 10:09 AM, CrimsonBull9584 said:

The last time Notre Dame played an FCS team was November 5, 1955. They played AT Penn.

And yes, they never played an HBCU.

Penn was still considered a top division school back then.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On 4/7/2022 at 8:59 PM, Geoff said:

Tennessee State being needed by the OVC doesn't mean jack. Tennessee State having ambitions of going to FBS is not new. The NCAA isn't going to give TSU a waiver like they gave Liberty. The MAC has already said no to central Tennessee, the Sun Belt might kick the tires as Tennessee State does bring a solid fan base with them (which the SBC values more than being in Nashville) but the most logical landing spot is CUSA.

Tennessee State seems to have embraced the "athletics are the front porch of the university" mentality. They were (and maybe still are) considering the SWAC, though I think the Jackson State/Southern Heritage Classic debacle soured that. They're considering jumping up to FBS (probably more so now after the aforementioned debacle). They've even moved beyond just the feasibility study and are pursuing funding to launch men's and women's hockey programs.

An HBCU with a hockey team... who'd have thought that would ever happen?

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Dilbert said:

BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF to Big 12 will become official for next year. Looking at 14 schools for two seasons until Oklahoma and Texas depart for SEC

https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/27/big-12-conference-ucf-houston-cincinnati-texas-oklahoma-changes

What's the holdup for Texas and Oklahoma? I was under the impression that they would pay whatever exit fee necessary to join the SEC in time for the 2023 season, since that's the date that pretty much every other major move is happening. 

That aside, that article says they'll work out division alignments and stuff next week. There are a few different directions they can go with that. I assume that the eastern 3 will want to stay together, BYU doesn't want to be with the eastern 3, and the Texas/Big 8 schools want to stick together. Unfortunately, there's no layout that can fulfill all of those goals. My guess is they split Texas Tech from the other 3, and have Texas and Oklahoma in separate divisions (while ensuring that the Red River Shootout happens both seasons as a crossdivisional game), so that way when they leave they don't have to shuffle the divisions again:

East: UCF, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Houston, Baylor, TCU, Texas (2023-24)

West: Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, BYU, Oklahoma (2023-24)

I'm sad the Big 14 will only exist for 2 years. It seems like it'll be a really fun conference in both football and basketball.

ExJworW.png

Both Oklahoma and Texas said they intend to stay in the Big 12 until 2025 when the Big 12 media rights contract ends. They both have said that they intend to honor that contract, and the SEC has said that they support the schools decisions.  That being said the two could leave early but would have to pay big penalties, but as of now the conference and the schools are acting like they are gonna stick to the deal.

Signature intentionally left blank

22 hours ago, Burmy said:

That would be a nice step up for The Mount.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

16 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

What's the holdup for Texas and Oklahoma? I was under the impression that they would pay whatever exit fee necessary to join the SEC in time for the 2023 season, since that's the date that pretty much every other major move is happening. 

16 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Both Oklahoma and Texas said they intend to stay in the Big 12 until 2025 when the Big 12 media rights contract ends. They both have said that they intend to honor that contract, and the SEC has said that they support the schools decisions.  That being said the two could leave early but would have to pay big penalties, but as of now the conference and the schools are acting like they are gonna stick to the deal.

The rest of the Big XII wants to hold on to them until it's time to renegotiate their TV contract. Without them they think the loss per team could be north of $20 million, and I think the two schools would be looking at bills of $40 million each to leave. As much money as Texas has been throwing around to fix the stadium and pay off three head coaches, they can't afford that on the bill too. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Queens University of Charlotte to the A-Sun.

Interesting move here, as Queens is currently a non-football playing member of the DII South Atlantic Conference. Private Presbyterian school with ~1600 students. They've had some good basketball seasons recently, but that doesn't quite move the needle like football does. Does this somehow fit in with the A-Sun's underpants gnomes mitosis scheme? (brand new sentence) I don't even remember anymore.

Either way, this is a bit of a head-scratcher. As far as NC schools moving up, I would've picked Winston-Salem State, Wingate, and (I can't believe I'm saying this) Fayetteville State to go D1 before Queens.

• Like 1

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png