Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

11 hours ago, Geoff said:

Marshall and Southern Miss have temporary restraining orders against CUSA right now. ODU is working on one too. This just makes it seem what we've all known: the most likely outcome will be financial compensation. Which is what the schools wanted anyway.

That is the most likely outcome.  Courts are very reluctant to require a person or entity to perform what is essentially a skilled service, so the CUSA will likely have a difficult time keeping them in the fold for another season.

The only way the CUSA might be able to keep them around is if a court enjoined them from playing in the Sun Belt in 2022.  Without knowing the specifics of the contracts, that seems unlikely to me, especially since Marshall and Southern Miss would have to have shown a "likelihood of success on the merits" to obtain temporary restraining orders.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• 4 weeks later...

Bryant's move is important on both sides.

For America East, it's about getting a school that has seen its stock rise thanks to their recent success on the basketball court. Also, they are losing Hartford and Stony Brook.

For the Big South, it puts them at six schools this season. This means they're able to keep their automatic bid for the time being (remember, the merger with the Ohio Valley is set for 2023).

As for the NEC, it does hurt them because Bryant was doing so well. There are a few options out there for the NEC if they want to make a move - Rumor has it that New Haven and Stonehill are the targets for the NEC right now, but there might be more teams involved then you might think.

4 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:
And another one. Busy day. 

Perplexing add, America East is a bunch of bigger public schools with a mix of football and basketball only; Bryant is a small private school.  Guess America East just felt like it didn't have a lot of other options.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

21 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Called it.

To be fair, it was a needed move for the NEC since they lost Bryant. Adding Stonehill gives the conference balance again. They might not be done yet...

I've been seeing people talk about New Haven and Bentley, the latter of which already plays D1 hockey.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

4 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Eddie George talking about Tennessee State wanting to become an FBS program.

Does Tennessee State have FBS dreams?

I gotta say, being Notre Dame's first FCS opponent in EONS (and their first ever HBCU opponent) sure gives that impression...their location and stadium doesn't hurt either.

Thing is, right now the only FBS conference which would take them would be the ever-desperate C-USA.

bYhYmxh.png

34 minutes ago, Burmy said:

I gotta say, being Notre Dame's first FCS opponent in EONS (and their first ever HBCU opponent) sure gives that impression...their location and stadium doesn't hurt either.

Thing is, right now the only FBS conference which would take them would be the ever-desperate C-USA.

So You're Saying There's A Chance GIFs

4 hours ago, Burmy said:

The last time Notre Dame played an FCS team was November 5, 1955. They played AT Penn.

And yes, they never played an HBCU.

5 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

The last time Notre Dame played an FCS team was November 5, 1955. They played AT Penn.

And yes, they never played an HBCU.

It should be noted that Penn was considered a part of major college football at that time, rather than being in a lower division.

The Sun Belt is bringing back men's soccer with its new additions. They've also brought in South Carolina and Kentucky who were associate members in C-USA, and West Virginia who were with the MAC. I've been told this is a good soccer conference but I don't actually know.

https://sunbeltsports.org/news/2022/4/6/sun-belt-conference-announces-return-of-mens-soccer-this-fall.aspx

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

It should be noted that Penn was considered a part of major college football at that time, rather than being in a lower division.

The Sun Belt is bringing back men's soccer with its new additions. They've also brought in South Carolina and Kentucky who were associate members in C-USA, and West Virginia who were with the MAC. I've been told this is a good soccer conference but I don't actually know.

https://sunbeltsports.org/news/2022/4/6/sun-belt-conference-announces-return-of-mens-soccer-this-fall.aspx

Yeah. IIRC, the division between 1-A (FBS) and 1-AA (FCS) wasn’t formalized until the late 70s. So this would actually be the first time Notre Dame plays against a 1-AA/FCS opponent.

4 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Can you please explain? I know what happened with FAMU wasn't exactly the idea circumstances for an HBCU to move up, but TSU could make it. Why do you think it would be a disaster? 

Too ambitious and the C-USA would use them since they are close prox to Nashville... if it works though then Middle Tenn gets a close rivalry but they'll want to add Jackson State if they are going to link West and East.

14 hours ago, Burmy said:

Dude, you HAVE to stop coming up with these half-baked ideas when it comes to realignment.

Tennessee State is needed big time in the Ohio Valley with the conference adding two D-II call ups in Lindenwood and Southern Indiana next season.  Having them go down some FBS based rabbit hole is suicidal at best.

• Like 1