Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

On 1/14/2022 at 8:47 PM, RyanMcD29 said:

Well, the CAA having the two Long Island schools (with respect to my grad school of LIU they aren't really at the same level as the other two) would be something

This is  officially official now.

Colonial Athletic Association adding Hampton, Monmouth, Stony Brook to conference

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

This is still purely speculation on my part but I remember saying that if West Florida was going to go D1, some facility upgrades were going to be needed. 

Well... today they posted photos of them replacing the old "bleachers" (which sat maybe, MAYBE 100 people) at the UWF Soccer Complex with a new, permanent set seating around 750.

Previously they had like three of these.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

The CAA adding those three schools makes sense - Hampton's goal has always been to be in the CAA after leaving the MEAC. The Big South was just a stay over for them before making that move.

Monmouth and Stony Brook are big time grabs for the football side of things since they're losing a big time powerhouse in James Madison. Having them in the CAA will also help the league in other ways as well.

51 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

The CAA adding those three schools makes sense - Hampton's goal has always been to be in the CAA after leaving the MEAC. The Big South was just a stay over for them before making that move.

Monmouth and Stony Brook are big time grabs for the football side of things since they're losing a big time powerhouse in James Madison. Having them in the CAA will also help the league in other ways as well.

Just as a note, Stony Brook has been in the CAA for football since 2013.

Now I wonder who the other conferences will pick up to replace the departing members. The Big South will only have five football schools and the America East will only have eight members total once SB and Hartford leave.

Maybe the Big South and OVC merge their football operations?

As far as the AmEast, maybe they take on CCSU? Southern Connecticut State? 

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

6 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

Just as a note, Stony Brook has been in the CAA for football since 2013.

Now I wonder who the other conferences will pick up to replace the departing members. The Big South will only have five football schools and the America East will only have eight members total once SB and Hartford leave.

Maybe the Big South and OVC merge their football operations?

As far as the AmEast, maybe they take on CCSU? Southern Connecticut State? 

On the first topic: It's possible considering that the Big South is not just losing Hampton and Monmouth for football, they're losing Kennesaw State and North Alabama to the ASUN.  They're down to five members (four current schools and Robert Morris). They could

try to convince Presbyterian (already a member of the Big South) to come back for football, but that would be a very hard sell since the Blue Hose went to the Pioneer League in part to cut down on costs and to be more competitive.

The merger plan would have to wait until 2023 as Murray State is playing in the OVC for football this upcoming season.

On the second topic: At eight schools, the America East might be in perfect shape. There have been rumors of New Haven wanting to make the jump to Division 1... they would be a perfect fit for the conference. They might be needed as Albany is looking at jumping to the CAA alongside Stony Brook.

16 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

The merger plan would have to wait until 2023 as Murray State is playing in the OVC for football this upcoming season.

On the second topic: At eight schools, the America East might be in perfect shape. There have been rumors of New Haven wanting to make the jump to Division 1... they would be a perfect fit for the conference. They might be needed as Albany is looking at jumping to the CAA alongside Stony Brook.

1. Where did you hear it's official that Murray State football is playing in the OVC this year?  I heard they'd applied to join the MVFC and their approval was pending, but nothing about dates... (EDIT: Just learned that Murray State's approval would likely be for 2023 to give the OVC time to find a sixth football school...my bad.)

2. As New Haven is a football school, I'm wondering which conference they'd be most likely to join too.

bYhYmxh.png

2 hours ago, Burmy said:

2. As New Haven is a football school, I'm wondering which conference they'd be most likely to join too.

The NEC. Not only does it fit better with New Haven regionally, the school can also play some of their old NE-10 rivals like Bryant and Merrimack in the process.

3 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

The NEC. Not only does it fit better with New Haven regionally, the school can also play some of their old NE-10 rivals like Bryant and Merrimack in the process.

And U. of New Haven would be among other private institutions in the NEC, whereas the AmEast will be all public institutions once Hartford leaves.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

I should also mention that any potential D-II to D-I moves after Texas A&M Commerce may not happen since the NCAA has redone their constitution and the D-I Transformation Committee will be looking at a ton of topics for changing the overall field.

One of those topics is moving to Division I. It might become much, much harder for a school to get into Division I.

13 hours ago, Geoff said:

JMU is going FBS in 2022. 

Just in time for my daughter to (maybe) be a freshman there.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 2/1/2022 at 7:49 PM, Geoff said:

JMU is going FBS in 2022. 

The CUSA Three are still working on their early exit.

Makes sense since they couldn't make the playoffs in FCS. I'm sure they won't be bowl eligible this year either, but moving forward by a year isn't the worst thing that could happen to them. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Not eligible for a bowl nor the Sun Belt Championship[p[ Game. This will let them fill their fourth OOC spot so they can get paid like an FBS team, not an FCS team. Even for as good as JMU was as an FCS team, they can command more money as a FBS team.

• Like 1

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

3 hours ago, heavybass said:

How many would the OVC need for Football Schools?

At least two more football schools to help make up for Murray State's departure in 2023. This is where schools like Hillsdale and Grand Valley State would come in if they were looking to make the leap to Division I.