Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

3 minutes ago, the_grateful_ted said:

College football is dead. I feel the same way I did at the end of the movie “Annihilation”. Scared, confused, will something grow out of its ashes? NO YOURE BEING DRAMATIC-

As a huge college football fan and a fan of a school on one of the to-be-super conferences, I agree.  Between this and the lack of any meaningful oversight on NIL, I hate where the sport is heading. 

• Like 1

IUe6Hvh.png

If the USC/UCLA news is true... I would bet the B1G and SEC are going to race for Clemson and Florida State as the next big 2 dominoes to fall.

When all this started happening in 2010, it was rumored the B1G wants to get to 18 teams.  Clemson and FSU would do that.  Not sure if it's possible.  Not sure if 18 is the endgame anymore.  At this rate, no one is safe.  I would think other schools in play for the B1G include Colorado, North Carolina, Oregon, any of the Texas schools, and Notre Dame.

I assume this news is going to cause an immediate SEC meeting and they are going to extend invites out to Florida State and Clemson sooner rather than later.

The PAC and XII could make a decent 3rd/4th conference, assuming everything else stays the same... Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Cal, Stanford, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado, Iowa State, Cinci, WV, Baylor, KSU, Kansas, OK-State, Texas Tech, TCU, BYU, UCF, and Houston.  There is just no way more of those schools dont get poached.

45 minutes ago, Gary said:

Just saw this, wow if this is true. This is how the dominoes fall. Who does the PAC 10/12 add? Is the Big Ten going to poach the Big XII next? Will the PAC 10/12 going to poach the Big XII? Or the Mountain West? So many questions here 

I think if this happens, Colorado and Utah might jump to the Big XII, or both leagues merge. I can't see an 18 team B1G anymore than I can see a 16 team league though. I know the amount of money those two teams would bring to the B1G is enough to justify bringing them in, but not anyone else still in the Big XII after 2024. 

5 minutes ago, the_grateful_ted said:

College football is dead. I feel the same way I did at the end of the movie “Annihilation”. Scared, confused, will something grow out of its ashes? NO YOURE BEING DRAMATIC-

Unfortunately, I think if they end up with four super conferences and refuse to expand the playoffs, this is what will kill the golden goose.  It will also ensure teams that are outside, like Cincinnati last year, will never make the playoffs. 

8 minutes ago, buckeye said:

You'd have to think the Big 10 needs another school or two to bridge the gap between Nebraska and those schools right?

If they wanted a team to help out Nebraska, Colorado would have been the only logical choice in that direction. 

12 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Imagine this happens and the PAC-12 poaches the Big XII. You'll hear the jaws hit the floor of the schools that just joined the Big XII.

It feels like the AD's are acting like teenagers that started playing EA College Football anf threw all of the big teams into two conferences. At some point, giving up a 9-3 record and bowls every year for 5-7 records and a bigger check won't be enough for some of these schools. This is why letting the Power 5 run the CFP is not a good idea. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'm putting this firmly in the "I'll believe it when there is a formal announcement" category.

That said, Pete Thamel now says it's a "formality", with an announcement expected within 24 hours . . . perhaps as soon as tonight.

EDIT -- Looks like I'm a little late on the Pete Thamel news.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

As someone who likes college basketball 100 times more than college football. I hate all of this. I never really thought I'd say this but I think I have less than ten years of giving a :censored: about either of these sports.

Obviously money is THE factor here, but how does this pay off if the best team from the Big Ten/SEC ends up at like 9-3?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

If the USC/UCLA news is true... I would bet the B1G and SEC are going to race for Clemson and Florida State as the next big 2 dominoes to fall.

When all this started happening in 2010, it was rumored the B1G wants to get to 18 teams.  Clemson and FSU would do that.  Not sure if it's possible.  Not sure if 18 is the endgame anymore.  At this rate, no one is safe.  I would think other schools in play for the B1G include Colorado, North Carolina, Oregon, any of the Texas schools, and Notre Dame.

I assume this news is going to cause an immediate SEC meeting and they are going to extend invites out to Florida State and Clemson sooner rather than later.

The PAC and XII could make a decent 3rd/4th conference, assuming everything else stays the same... Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Cal, Stanford, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado, Iowa State, Cinci, WV, Baylor, KSU, Kansas, OK-State, Texas Tech, TCU, BYU, UCF, and Houston.  There is just no way more of those schools dont get poached.

If the Big Ten copies the ACC model we could see a 3-6-6 model for the league when they drop divisions, if they keep 9 league games. So for the league as a whole it makes for pretty tough schedules and a trip to California once every three to four years. I really don't like the idea of Ohio State vs USC every other year either. It's old man yelling at clouds from me, but those two should only play in bowl games. 

3 minutes ago, plobrien said:

I bet Stanford goes independent if they don't get a B1G invite. Maybe Cal too, I can't seem them wanting to be in a conference with Mountain West or Big 12 teams. 

I think the Big XII would be their best option, because their other option is games vs Sun Belt and Conference USA teams to fill up the bulk of their schedules when PAC-12 and Big Ten teams don't want a tough out of conference foe. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

So how soon do Clemson and Florida State they are announcing they are leaving the ACC?

Next week.

6 minutes ago, floydnimrod said:

As someone who likes college basketball 100 times more than college football. I hate all of this. I never really thought I'd say this but I think I have less than ten years of giving a :censored: about either of these sports.

Obviously money is THE factor here, but how does this pay off if the best team from the Big Ten/SEC ends up at like 9-3?

The playoff committee will talk about the integrity of playing the toughest teams every week while a 13-0 MAC team gets a New Year's Six game after beating a mid-table Big Ten team that beat the league champs by 30. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png