Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

2 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

College sports are cool because of the regionalism. So it's nice to see that being killed.

Honestly that's the main reason I began following D2 football in recent years. Regionalism is still alive in the lower levels of college sports. I watch major D1 sports when I want to see top tier athletes. I watch lower divisions when I need to experience a more tradition based atmosphere.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

"Can the Big Ten improve its West Division?" 
Big Ten: "Oh, just you watch."

You can't beat a Rutgers night game in volleyball, basketball, tennis, softball, baseball, etc. at UCLA on a Wednesday...10:00 PM local.

What's next for the Big Ten? Gonna grab Washington, Oregon, New Mexico, Montana State, Colorado College of Mines, Middle Tennessee State, Miami (FL), Miami (OH), Rhode Island School of Design, the Detroit Lions, Northwest Louisiana State (but only if it exists), Georgia Tech, and Coastal Carolina.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dan Campbell bite the kneecaps of Jim Harbaugh.  

15 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

What's next for the Big Ten? Gonna grab Colorado College of Mines

It's The Colorado School of Mines and if there were any justice in the universe, adding them to the Big Ten would be exactly what happens next.

• LOL 2

BB52Big.jpg

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

"Can the Big Ten improve its West Division?" 
Big Ten: "Oh, just you watch."

You can't beat a Rutgers night game in volleyball, basketball, tennis, softball, baseball, etc. at UCLA on a Wednesday...10:00 PM local.

What's next for the Big Ten? Gonna grab Washington, Oregon, New Mexico, Montana State, Colorado College of Mines, Middle Tennessee State, Miami (FL), Miami (OH), Rhode Island School of Design, the Detroit Lions, Northwest Louisiana State (but only if it exists), Georgia Tech, and Coastal Carolina.

It's time to bring U. Chicago back.

9 minutes ago, EskimoAldus said:

Also according to Jon Wilner both USC & UCLA kept their plans secret from the conference and the other schools. It is truly an everyman for themselves scenario. 

Sure sounds like it... they kept this hidden from everyone else in the Pac-12 and I have to think that the sweet, sweet television money from the Big Ten Network was far too enticing to pass up. Not to mention that the Big Ten Network can say that they have a foothold in the two biggest television markets in the nation - something the SEC Network can't say.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Sure sounds like it... they kept this hidden from everyone else in the Pac-12 and I have to think that the sweet, sweet television money from the Big Ten Network was far too enticing to pass up. Not to mention that the Big Ten Network can say that they have a foothold in the two biggest television markets in the nation - something the SEC Network can't say.

At least the three biggest TV markets in the nation (the four biggest if you consider State College part of the Philly TV market).

bYhYmxh.png

It's a shame you couldn't just start a successful football league for 18- to 22-year-olds, and that it has to operate under the veneer of amateurism to actually work. Universities shouldn't be in the business of professional sports during a student loan crises, yet they are. Athletes are just now finally able to sign NIL deals, but it's at least two generations too late. And universities are at each others' throats to more successfully monetize young, underpaid men hitting each other in the head.

If we didn't pretend college football had anything to do with colleges, the whole thing would fall apart.

It stinks.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Hahahahahahahahahhaha

This is stupid and is exactly how college football deserves to die. Greedy programs killing every sense of tradition in the name of TV money. I can at least take comfort in the fact that we still get a conference game against UCLA every year. My dad's a Maryland alum so having our schools be in the same conference is something neither of us ever expected haha.

• Like 3

the user formerly known as cdclt

With USC now in the same conference as Michigan, Purdue, Michigan State and Northwestern, I think the Big Ten's endgame is to sweeten the pot as much as possible to finally win the grand prize of these decades-long realignment games: Notre Dame.

(A pot that will only be sweeter for the Irish if the Big Ten pulls Stanford as well,,,of course, if Notre Dame relents, the Big Ten would make them an offer they couldn't refuse, threatening to never let any Big Ten teams play them again unless they join)

• Like 2

bYhYmxh.png