Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

3 hours ago, Geoff said:

WKU and MTSU actually gives CUSA nine teams, not seven. They would have been at seven had MTSU not killed the move to the MAC. The MAC was only taking the package deal, not separate pieces. 

WKU, MTSU, UTEP, LTU, and FIU plus the newbies equals nine.

I'm still not sure why CUSA didn't add more. EKU has been wanting to get to the FBS for years now so I'd imagine it's a slowplay on the conference's part. SEMO seemed to pull themselves out of the running.

I know CUSA actually stands to potentially get better candidates if they wait a little bit but there's growing consensus that the new NCAA constitution will make the reclassification process more difficult. If I have short-term goals of being FBS, I'm jumping now if I can.

Eastern didn't get the nod because of the cardinal rule of G5 realignment: your rival or potential rival doesn't get bumped up if you can help it....Western Kentucky would have been a firm veto.

• Like 3
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I wouldn't be shocked if the Southland takes all the football playing schools from the Lone Star Conference.

For note, the Lone Star is at 18 schools right now (17 with Commerce making the jump next year). Taking the football schools would allow the conference to focus more on the non-football schools (10 of them) and be more versed in that department.

The only schools I might think could be an issue here are the New Mexico schools - Eastern and Western New Mexico.

7 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

I wouldn't be shocked if the Southland takes all the football playing schools from the Lone Star Conference.

For note, the Lone Star is at 18 schools right now (17 with Commerce making the jump next year). Taking the football schools would allow the conference to focus more on the non-football schools (10 of them) and be more versed in that department.

The only schools I might think could be an issue here are the New Mexico schools - Eastern and Western New Mexico.

Football schools in the Lone Star Conference:

• Angelo State (San Angelo, Texas)
  • Eastern New Mexico (Portales, New Mexico)
  • Midwestern State (Wichita Falls, Texas)
  • Texas A&M-Kingsville (Kingsville, Texas)
  • Texas A&M Permian Basin (Odessa, Texas)
  • West Texas A&M (Canyon, Texas a suburb of Amarillo)
  • Western New Mexico (Silver City, New Mexico)

All 5 of those schools move up, it will be 27 Division 1 Football Schools in Texas.  It might be 28 if UT-Rio Grande Valley gets football up and running, which they plan on doing.

11 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

I doubt all of those schools would have the funds needed to make the jump to FCS

Hotter Than July > Thriller

They possibly have two. The plan, unless it has changed, is to have games at two different stadiums near the two campuses. HEB Park and Sam's Memorial Stadium in Brownsville. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

On 11/12/2021 at 11:28 AM, Seadragon76 said:

Eastern New Mexico is close enough to West Texas A&M and UTPB that they should be OK.  Western New Mexico is way too small and isolated to make the jump.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 minute ago, GeauxColonels said:

I really hate what this is doing to the Southland. Selfishly, I’d like to see the Southland try and get some DII teams from the east (Alabama, Georgia, Florida) rather than stretching even further into Texas.

Did you see the deal McNeese was reportedly given in order to stay in the Southland?

Apparently it includes hosting rights for the 2023-2026 championships for men's/women's basketball, baseball, and softball + no exit fee if McNeese leaves the Southland for an FBS school.

Insane.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

27 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Did you see the deal McNeese was reportedly given in order to stay in the Southland?

Apparently it includes hosting rights for the 2023-2026 championships for men's/women's basketball, baseball, and softball + no exit fee if McNeese leaves the Southland for an FBS school.

Insane.

I did, and I think it makes McNeese feel more important than they actually are. It was all about the number of members vs it being McNeese possibly leaving. The SLC can’t afford to lose any other members after UIW. If they did, I wouldn’t mind seeing the Louisiana SLC schools try and work a football-only deal with the ASun.

• Like 1

gYH2mW9.png

If BYU's entry into the Big 12 and Liberty's gaining of Conference USA membership have any common thread, it seems to be that the only realistic chance for a parochial university with a strict moral code to upgrade its conference situation is if a conference is very desperate for new members.

Speaking of C-USA, the athletic director at WKU has recently revealed some details regarding the chaos within that league and why the Hilltoppers are staying put for now:

https://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku/carousel-of-madness-how-wku-ended-up-staying-in-c-usa-and-whats-ahead-for/article_b527e8be-60bf-5233-adcf-17e647f9d68e.html

I mean, Liberty's baggage transcends "being a parochial university," so I wouldn't read too much into that (and GTFO with that strict moral code BS), while BYU basically limited its potential homes to two conferences, one of which had  shot them down in the past over the "no Sunday games rule" given how that would cramp their Olympic sports scheduling/travel.

BYU was basically fine with trying to be Mormon Notre Dame otherwise, so they could pick their spot.

Today, we are all otaku.

One of Butch's other complaints was that the school had a job posting for "Head Coach." 

There was no sport specific info in the job posting and it's a usual thing, especially in Olympic sports to get an idea of who might be interested in a job. It also takes care of state laws that require state employee job postings even if you know who you're going to hire.

The confusion came when various Miami media outlets said the posting was on the AFCA website (which was true) and just assumed it was football without the posting stating a sport. It was also posted multiple other places (example).

Long story short, there might be some truth to what Butch said be it's also largely he's petty and wanted to be the one to burn things as he left. I think he was done after this season no matter what and someone internally did something to piss him off.

Also, it's easily verifiable that the uniforms aren't 9 years old because they didn't have the shiny numbers in 2012 and the adidas tire tracks didn't exist then.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

One of Butch's other complaints was that the school had a job posting for "Head Coach." 

There was no sport specific info in the job posting and it's a usual thing, especially in Olympic sports to get an idea of who might be interested in a job. It also takes care of state laws that require state employee job postings even if you know who you're going to hire.

The confusion came when various Miami media outlets said the posting was on the AFCA website (which was true) and just assumed it was football without the posting stating a sport. It was also posted multiple other places (example).

Long story short, there might be some truth to what Butch said be it's also largely he's petty and wanted to be the one to burn things as he left. I think he was done after this season no matter what and someone internally did something to piss him off.

Also, it's easily verifiable that the uniforms aren't 9 years old because they didn't have the shiny numbers in 2012 and the adidas tire tracks didn't exist then.

I interviewed for a position with FIU football about 5-6 months ago. I was interviewed by Coach Davis as the final part of the day-long interview. While talking about the position, and the program overall, he brought up all these points about issues with shoulder pads and money. I don't think that he is lying nor is he being petty or anything else. He was genuine with me. His attitude was "it is what it is and I've been doing my best to make it better since I got here." He addressed it to me so I knew the situation I may be getting into.

So to me, telling a prospective employee this and brining it up here, illustrates that there are problems within the FIU program and he is still very upset that they haven't been corrected. 

• Like 2

Loyola Chicago will be joining the A-10 in 2022-23 giving them 15 members. Apparently La Salle is struggling in terms of both finances and enrollment, which could doom the schools D1 athletic program. Also the Big East sits at 11; in order to get to 12, it almost certainly would poach from the A-10

• Like 1