Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

hahahahaha spleen thinking that the B1G would add Mizzou, K-State, Kansas, and Iowa State.

Look, the only one of those four schools the B1G would go after would be Missouri. And I highly doubt they'd do that. They have the St. Louis market in Illinois and apparently the KC market in Nebraska.

Schools the B1G would be interested in? Notre Dame and Texas (as was rumoured, I hope not though) would be at the top of their list. I don't think they'd get Texas, but in a super-conference world, they'd maybe be able to snatch up Notre Dame. Besides that? Rutgers, Maryland, Boston College, and Vanderbilt is who I'd go after if I was the B1G, in that order. Rutgers would give the Big Ten access to the NYC media market for BTN, and Maryland supplies both the Washington, DC and Baltimore markets. While BC might seem a bit out of the way, that gives Boston (and to a lesser extent, most of New England) to the B1G, and Vandy would give them Tennessee.

Adding Notre Dame, Rutgers, Maryland, and Boston College would put the BTN in every state north of the Mason/Dixon line, plus Maryland and DC, as well as every state east of the Mississippi, plus Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, and Nebraska at least. That's what this is all about.

Iowas State and K-State are a bit iffy I'll given you that, but Mizzou and Kansas? Who wouldn't want those schools. In terms of football, yes, you're correct. But Kansas plays basketball too. They also have great track. Also, Iowa State is, along with Oklahoma State, are the top wrestling programs in the nation.

Son, football runs television revenues and both schools may have given us recent success, but they are far from powerhouse teams.

Glen Mason left for Minnesota after a bout of success then Mangino was fired so where is KU at now? Mizzou may not be able to sustain their good recruiting classes from both the STL and KC sides of the state since history illustrates that they do not. Plus, Norm Stewart was a very good hoops coach, but when did they ever get to the Final Four? They never did.

Iowas State and K-State are a bit iffy I'll given you that, but Mizzou and Kansas? Who wouldn't want those schools. In terms of football, yes, you're correct. But Kansas plays basketball too. They also have great track. Also, Iowa State is, along with Oklahoma State, are the top wrestling programs in the nation.

But as we saw last year, even though basketball is the only other revenue sport, football is the only thing this is about. Track and wrestling? That's a joke. No conference is making any decision because of track and wrestling. Mizzou would be the only school you mentioned the B1G could be interested, maybe, and Ok State can find somewhere too (like the Pac-12). Maybe basketball could cushion the blow for Kansas, perhaps K-State too, if/when the Big 12 collapses, but again, football is driving this. Iowa State is just gonna hope someone will pick them up or fall to the MW.

Track and wrestling? Seriously?

What part of "the only thing that these conferences are interested in is money" don't you get? The only major media market Kansas has to offer is maybe Kansas City. Mizzou offers KC and StL. There's no point in adding either of those schools. Nebraska convinced the B1G they gave them the Kansas City market, and Illinois already gives them the St. Louis market. The Des Moines "market" is there with Iowa, and K-State has the same problems as Kansas. You don't grasp why they want to expand.

6fQjS3M.png

What part of "the only thing that these conferences are interested in is money" don't you get? The only major media market Kansas has to offer is maybe Kansas City. Mizzou offers KC and StL. There's no point in adding either of those schools. Nebraska convinced the B1G they gave them the Kansas City market, and Illinois already gives them the St. Louis market. The Des Moines "market" is there with Iowa, and K-State has the same problems as Kansas. You don't grasp why they want to expand.

You honestly don't think Kansas Basketball makes money? Kansas is the Texas of Basketball, maybe Kentucky is a close second.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

You honestly don't think Kansas Basketball makes money? Kansas is the Texas of Basketball, maybe Kentucky is a close second.

Little boy, basketball income does not matter, look at Louisville in relation to basketball income.

Nebraska is not the KC market. Kansas and Mizzou are. And Mizzou has a bigger piece of the St. Louis pie than Illinois. And besides, not everything comes down to what market they are. This isn't professional sports. Some of these schools are simply big money makers based on their own athletic teams. Kansas is one of the biggest basketball draws (as much as it pains me to say that), but football is not. They're not gonna go after them directly, but they'd be a decent "attachment school" if they went after Mizzou. Speaking of which, is becoming a steady football program that could become a Top 25 fixture. I still think, and would hope, that Mizzou winds up in the SEC if the Big XII does in fact dissolve.

Yes, Kansas basketball makes money. Basketball and football are the two revenue sports of college athletics, but as we saw from last year, football is king. Football is driving all the decisions of conference expansion. When the Pac10 was trying to add 6 Big 12 teams last year, they went for Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Colorado. The only discussed variation was Butler instead of Colorado. If basketball was a factor, Kansas would have factored in or some other big conference would have at least been waiting to swoop them up. Instead, Kansas was faced with the sad truth that, basketball and all, conference realignment was about to leave them in the dust with the other 5 unwanted members of the Big 12. Football and the money it makes drove every decision and discussion for realignment last year. I seriously doubt that has changed.

Yes, Kansas basketball makes money. Basketball and football are the two revenue sports of college athletics, but as we saw from last year, football is king. Football is driving all the decisions of conference expansion. When the Pac10 was trying to add 6 Big 12 teams last year, they went for Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Colorado. The only discussed variation was Butler instead of Colorado. If basketball was a factor, Kansas would have factored in or some other big conference would have at least been waiting to swoop them up. Instead, Kansas was faced with the sad truth that, basketball and all, conference realignment was about to leave them in the dust with the other 5 unwanted members of the Big 12. Football and the money it makes drove every decision and discussion for realignment last year. I seriously doubt that has changed.

Wait... what? Butler? I'm pretty sure they're aren't going to leave the Pioneer league any time soon.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Nebraska is not the KC market. Kansas and Mizzou are. And Mizzou has a bigger piece of the St. Louis pie than Illinois. And besides, not everything comes down to what market they are. This isn't professional sports. Some of these schools are simply big money makers based on their own athletic teams. Kansas is one of the biggest basketball draws (as much as it pains me to say that), but football is not. They're not gonna go after them directly, but they'd be a decent "attachment school" if they went after Mizzou. Speaking of which, is becoming a steady football program that could become a Top 25 fixture. I still think, and would hope, that Mizzou winds up in the SEC if the Big XII does in fact dissolve.

The whole reason that Nebraska was admitted to the Big Ten instead of the Tigers last year was that the Huskers convinced the Big Ten that they had enough alums in Kansas City to cover the town and to get BTN into those households. If that's what the Big Ten wanted, then they got what they wanted, their product on in more households.

6fQjS3M.png

Wait... what? Butler? I'm pretty sure they're aren't going to leave the Pioneer league any time soon.

Butler is in the Horizon League first, then please wait until later with a better formed realignment position. football money is what builds athletic departments is what makes for non-DVR tv for most ratings.

The whole reason that Nebraska was admitted to the Big Ten instead of the Tigers last year was that the Huskers convinced the Big Ten that they had enough alums in Kansas City to cover the town and to get BTN into those households. If that's what the Big Ten wanted, then they got what they wanted, their product on in more households.

That's not what it was. Nebraska has alums all over the midwest, not just KC. They could've claimed any market over the other. It had nothing to do with simply the KC market as you seem to believe. Nebraska is a traditionally money making football college, plain and simple. Not because of a TV market 200 miles away in another state that's primarily a tv market for two other schools.

Butler is in the Horizon League first, then please wait until later with a better formed realignment position. football money is what builds athletic departments is what makes for non-DVR tv for most ratings.

Read that to yourself again and see if you can make out what your saying.

Sorry, meant Baylor. Wasn't paying much attention to that one.

Doug Gotlieb reported a source confirmed aTm is joining SEC and that Mizzou, Clemson and Florida State likely to join. Breaking news on bottom line and I'm on my iPhone so I can't link but just check out espn.com.

Just got that text on my phone and was gonna jump on here and post it, looks like the first bomb is about to be dropped...

Florida State continues to deny rumors. Mizzou is interesting. The Big Ten screwed the pooch not swiping up Mizzou.

Debatable. The utter failure of the Big East's mid-2000s expansion demonstrates that pursuing markets at all costs doesn't always work.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Florida State continues to deny rumors. Mizzou is interesting. The Big Ten screwed the pooch not swiping up Mizzou.

Debatable. The utter failure of the Big East's mid-2000s expansion demonstrates that pursuing markets at all costs doesn't always work.

Market. Footprint. Rivalries. Competition. Keeping them AWAY from the SEC.

Pooch = Screwed

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I think Mizzou is a bit of a stretch for the SEC on this one. But who knows, we're going to live in a world where TCU is in the Big East, and we have lived with Louisiana Tech playing in the same conference as Hawaii.

Before I actually started to pay attention to college football (like 10 years ago or middle school), I had always thought Clemson was an SEC school just by their program, vibe, and all that jazz. Florida State is almost like that too. Both school's biggest rival is already in the SEC (South Carolina and Florida). I think those two work way better in the SEC's mold than Mizzou would, or even more than A&M would but that's past that point. The only downside of Clemson and FSU is that they are already within the SEC footprint. I don't know what else that brings to the SEC other than ANOTHER rivalry or evening up the conference/divisions.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |