Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

If the SEC only takes FSU, that puts the ACC at 11. That would more than likely mean "ACC raiding the Big East 2.0". Not sure how that would shake out, though, because there's a lot of good picks

-South Florida fits it geographically, fills FSU void

-West Virginia also is a geographical fit, plus has a rivalry with VT from back in the pre-04 raid Big East. Consistently being the strong point of Big East football definitely helps

-Rutgers has New York, even though very little people care about college sports outside of the Big East basketball tournament and (in the suburbs) lacrosse. Then again, NYC market = $$$. Fits the academic profile pretty well too (similar to Maryland in terms of public schools)

-UConn also has claim to the NYC market I guess, definitely the southern New England market, plus hoops is its strong point. The BC-UConn divorce from 04 might be touchy, though

-Syracuse fits the academic profile of some other schools in the conference (private school, good academics, 10-15K students), has a rivalry with BC, plus basketball and FWIW lacrosse and field hockey (yes I know there's no importance of non-revenues in all this) match the strong suits of the ACC. Not to mention was supposed to go to the ACC before the Virginia legislature stepped in

-Pitt also fits the academic profile with its good academics, plus brings the Pittsburgh market with them. The football program's usually in the hunt for conference titles, plus basketball brings a bit to the table

So yeah. If the SEC takes one of the ACC schools, I can see them raiding one of those schools. If the Big Ten comes in and swoops Maryland, VT, whathaveyou, either three of those or the Big East joins in on the raid and takes BC and whoever. If we get into 16-team madness, then I can see the two conferences merging together out of survival.

The ACC in that case would go after Syracuse. That is who they originally wanted in 2004, but the Virginia legislator got in the way and forced Va Tech in.

No way would the ACC take West Virginia or USF unless they were completely raided by the SEC and Big Ten. Those schools aren't good enough academically to be a fit.

That said I don't see the SEC just taking just FSU. Only way FSU gets in is if the SEC goes to 16, and even then it may be if Florida is paid off with a portion of FSU's shares. In that case the SEC would take at least one or two more ACC schools (for arguments sake Va Tech). In that case it would be open invitation for the Big Ten to raid and try to grab some combo of UNC, Duke, UVA, and Maryland. In that case the ACC collapses all together and probably merges with the Big East football schools for another super conference.

Didn't even think of duke/unc for big ten. I could see that. Fit academically and it's a a new footprint with nationwide appeal. Not good football wise, it would certainly weaken the conference in that regard.

It's the "fun" of 2 years ago all over again!!

That means that the B1G would have to go for a non BCS school (Navy perhaps?). The absolute best option for the Pac-16 would be AIr Force. It would give them a national following, along with a very athletically competitive school.

Confused.jpg

Navy and Air Force are mid-tier football programs at best and football is by far their best athletic programs. There's no way in hell the Big Ten would pick up a goddamn Patriot League team.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Didn't even think of duke/unc for big ten. I could see that. Fit academically and it's a a new footprint with nationwide appeal. Not good football wise, it would certainly weaken the conference in that regard.

That would take a complete collapse of the ACC. They won't leave the conference.

I think because of the Big Ten Network the conference can look a little bit broader than just football. That and there really isn't any marquee football programs left at that point to grab that fits what the Big Ten may be looking for. Outside of Duke those ACC schools are too terrible of football programs. They'll be middle teams with up years and down years. And for the most part they are marquee basketball programs to offset not being world beaters in football. There would still be a demand for the Big Ten Network in those markets. It would also make the Big Ten the top basketball conference in addition to current status of being one of the top football conferences. Sort of get the best of both worlds.

That would take a complete collapse of the ACC. They won't leave the conference.

It would take the collapse of the ACC to pry those two, but it could happen. Let's say the SEC raids two ACC schools (FSU and Va Tech for example). The Big Ten responds by expanding to 14 by taking Maryland and Virginia (both might want out of the ACC at that point). Suddenly that the DC market from the ACC and the ACC is down 4 schools. The schools could stay, but you would have to think then Georgia Tech and Clemson might look to get out, which means the ACC would need more replacements lowering the quality of schools in the conference. They could look around at that point and see the potential writing on the wall and get out first and make sure they are safe (Even if NC State has to get screwed over in the process).

Like pcgd said it is all the fun of two years ago and shows how college sports can be a dog eat dog world.

Aside from all the potential domino effect all this conference shuffle may or may not cause, I have a question.

Why expand? I can understand getting to 12 teams because that's the minimum the NCAA set for a conference championship game. But beyond that, does expanding to 14 or 16 teams increase the revenue pie to the point where even though the schools are getting a smaller slice proportionally, they still are making more money?

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Aside from all the potential domino effect all this conference shuffle may or may not cause, I have a question.

Why expand? I can understand getting to 12 teams because that's the minimum the NCAA set for a conference championship game. But beyond that, does expanding to 14 or 16 teams increase the revenue pie to the point where even though the schools are getting a smaller slice proportionally, they still are making more money?

Well in the case of the Big Ten it comes down to subscriber fees for Big Ten Network. Currently the Big Ten gets $.70 per month for every subscriber to the Big Ten Network in a state with a B10 school. In states without they get about $.30 per subscriber. If they expand east for example where there is a bigger population that ext 40 cents per subscriber ends up adding up and they can make more money per school even having a smaller percentage. This also doesn't take into account a higher rights fee they could get from ESPN and Fox.

It is similar for the Pac-12 except currently they are in the population centers out West. They would be expanding to add quality and therefor increase demand for the Pac-12 channels. Adding some of the current Big 12 schools they would be able to increase the subscriber fees for both in and out of state as the networks would have more marquee content. In addition they would be able to get more money out of ESPN and FOX for their rights. Similar to why Big 10 added Nebraska last year despite Nebraska having a low population.

The SEC probably sees this and knows eventually those two conferences will eventually get to 16. Their landmark deal with ESPN and CBS has almost been matched already by the Pac-12. If they don't keep up they could fall behind. With the Aggies discontent they may see an opportunity to strike first in the expansion race and get that advantage of having first pick. That is key for them as they don't have a network and thus needs to increase demand to get the rights fees they need. That may be why they take FSU over Florida's objections (or pay Florida off for their ok) because that would give a marquee team to increase demand. That and adding more markets from the other teams they add and they can stay ahead.

Clemson in the SEC? They have milked their title longer than any school ever and still has disappointing seasons. Get ready for more of the same.

So they'd be just like Georgia... :)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Probably the end of the Big 12 all together.

The PAC-12 probably wants to get into the 16 team super conference party sooner rather than later, so they'd probably draw Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and OK State. Then the rest would go to the Mountain West to keep that conference afloat.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

But then there's this tweet.

Big 12 source tells Tulsa World: "Missouri rumor is false...so far there is no real sign of (Mizzou) leaving." #big12 #sec

The Big XII has said that if only Texas A&M leaves they could go on with 9 but will definitely be looking for expansion. There's also talk of the Texas legislature pulling strings and getting another current Texas non-AQ school into an AQ conference. It won't be TCU, mpst likely SMU or Houston since no other team is currently anywhere near strong enough (I'm looking at you UTSA, TSU, UNT, and UTEP). They'd gain another in-state AQ school, Texas A&M doesn't have to deal with Texas' :censored: in conference, everybody wins.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

But then there's this tweet.

Big 12 source tells Tulsa World: "Missouri rumor is false...so far there is no real sign of (Mizzou) leaving." #big12 #sec

The Big XII has said that if only Texas A&M leaves they could go on with 9 but will definitely be looking for expansion. There's also talk of the Texas legislature pulling strings and getting another current Texas non-AQ school into an AQ conference. It won't be TCU, mpst likely SMU or Houston since no other team is currently anywhere near strong enough (I'm looking at you UTSA, TSU, UNT, and UTEP). They'd gain another in-state AQ school, Texas A&M doesn't have to deal with Texas' :censored: in conference, everybody wins.

Mizzou is downplaying talks because of last year where it looked like they were going to the Big Ten only to then have them come out and say that they never offered Mizzou an invite.

I wouldn't go by what an OU writer from Tulsa says about Mizzou.

According to this, the SEC is about to jump to 16 with Texas A&M, Mizzou, Florida State, and Clemson.

The "media reports" were Doug Gottlieb spitballing.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

According to this, the SEC is about to jump to 16 with Texas A&M, Mizzou, Florida State, and Clemson.

The "media reports" were Doug Gottlieb spitballing.

Pretty much. He went on Sportscenter and said that he had a source from the Big 12 saying A&M was gone to the SEC and that his source thinks Missouri, Clemson, and FSU are the logical fits for the other teams. Basically speculation, probably in hopes to invoke fear in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina to block a vote of A&M in fear it would mean their current markets are moved into.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Well of course they can't invite them NOW. A&M hasn't officially left the Big XII yet. But in about 48 hours...

/There are procedures to this and forms that must be followed.

Today, we are all otaku.

Well of course they can't invite them NOW. A&M hasn't officially left the Big XII yet. But in about 48 hours...

/There are procedures to this and forms that must be followed.

Pretty much. That and they probably don't have a 14th team locked down yet.