Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

They just want Dan Beebe to know that they are interested and that last time they were not as ready to lobby for status as Baylor was. Since the conference is headquartered in nearby Irving, SMU could have just sent either a Cookie Bouquet or an Ediable Arrangement to the offices and another one to C-USA (1.5 miles away) saying, "No Hard Feelings, but they are prettier". Just one trip for the delivery driver.

I'm sorry, but SMU is #4 at best when it comes to schools I could see joining the Big XII. (Houston, UTEP, and Tulsa would be more appealing)

bYhYmxh.png

They just want Dan Beebe to know that they are interested and that last time they were not as ready to lobby for status as Baylor was. Since the conference is headquartered in nearby Irving, SMU could have just sent either a Cookie Bouquet or an Ediable Arrangement to the offices and another one to C-USA (1.5 miles away) saying, "No Hard Feelings, but they are prettier". Just one trip for the delivery driver.

I'm sorry, but SMU is #4 at best when it comes to schools I could see joining the Big XII. (Houston, UTEP, and Tulsa would be more appealing)

Really? I don't care what they really do, but, Houston could be more viable because they have a larger student body and the Big XII market may have part of Houston. However, what of UTEP and Tulsa makes you think they are better than SMU. The state of Oklahoma only has 3.7 million people (1.5M households) and they are split between OU and OK State with Tulsa as the leftover. Tulsa is a private school with an even lesser base than SMU.

UTEP and appealing do not fit together

In anything. I have a friend who lived in El Paso growing up and even they used to laugh at UTEP. Heck, I think the Big XII would rather take Prarie View A&M than UTEP at this point.

The Big XII should take Memphis and TCU

TCU is a solid football program

Memphis is a solid basketball program

It helps make the Big XII strong in two sports.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The biggest issue with SMU moving to the Big 12 is three fold...

1. The Big 12 has the Dallas-Fort Worth market under wraps with Texas, so adding SMU wouldn't help that much. Heck, I bet you that on a very busy weekend in Dallas-Fort Worth, SMU Football is easily on the lower end of 'Top 10 Sporting Event' lists.

2. SMU's current stadium is awfully small, even by Big 12 standards. They would need to add about 10,000-15,000 seats to be comparable to the other schools (To compare, the smallest Big 12 stadium right now is Oklahoma State's Boone Pickens Stadium at 48,000 seats... That is 16,000 more seats then SMU's Gerald J. Ford Stadium)

3. I know football has been the driving force behind all these movements, but what's not to say that the Big 12 wants a school that is strong at both football and basketball. Tank has the right idea... TCU is good at football, but they are mediocre at basketball right now. Memphis is great at hoops, but they are possibly one of the worst teams at the FBS level right now. What's not to say that if the Big 12 expands, they want to look at a school that has the best of both worlds.

The Texas Legislature wants as many Texas schools in AQ conferences. TCU is about to be in one so they're not gonna want to move them from the Big East to the Big XII as that would be a logisitcal and financial nightmare and it takes away a slot for a potential 7th (or more depending on how far the Big XII goes) AQ school. They'll use it as an opportunity to get a Houston or a SMU into the league before they try to get TCU into the league.

Also, UTEP? :lol:

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

The Texas Legislature wants as many Texas schools in AQ conferences. TCU is about to be in one so they're not gonna want to move them from the Big East to the Big XII as that would be a logisitcal and financial nightmare and it takes away a slot for a potential 7th (or more depending on how far the Big XII goes) AQ school. They'll use it as an opportunity to get a Houston or a SMU into the league before they try to get TCU into the league.

As of when NYT's Pete Thamel filed his report yesterday, early talks between members did not mention Texas schools. Reportedly, the early list is:

1- Notre Dame (like everybody else)

2- Arkansas (stealing them back from the SEC)

3- BYU

4- Pitt

The biggest issue with SMU moving to the Big 12 is three fold...

1. The Big 12 has the Dallas-Fort Worth market under wraps with Texas, so adding SMU wouldn't help that much. Heck, I bet you that on a very busy weekend in Dallas-Fort Worth, SMU Football is easily on the lower end of 'Top 10 Sporting Event' lists.

2. SMU's current stadium is awfully small, even by Big 12 standards. They would need to add about 10,000-15,000 seats to be comparable to the other schools (To compare, the smallest Big 12 stadium right now is Oklahoma State's Boone Pickens Stadium at 48,000 seats... That is 16,000 more seats then SMU's Gerald J. Ford Stadium)

3. I know football has been the driving force behind all these movements, but what's not to say that the Big 12 wants a school that is strong at both football and basketball. Tank has the right idea... TCU is good at football, but they are mediocre at basketball right now. Memphis is great at hoops, but they are possibly one of the worst teams at the FBS level right now. What's not to say that if the Big 12 expands, they want to look at a school that has the best of both worlds.

1. It is a Cowboys market first, with the the Rangers/Mavs/high school football neck and neck for second before the Big XII gets a thought. Schools like Denton Ryan, Southlake Carrol, Euless Trinity, and the Plano Schools easily draw as well as both SMU and TCU. Even with their success of late TCU does not sell many games out and the student body gets in free. There are so many Biog XII alumni in the Metroplex, that while SMU could get sellouts, TV wise, adding them does not equate to much.

2. Ford Stadium can be expanded to 45K by filling in the horsehoe (seen here), but adding a second deck would be hard to do on the Airline Rd side. Mockingbird is a major Dallas thoroughfare, so anything there will be hard to do too. Then there is the $$$ issue. While they could get money for football sooner than for much anything else athletically, they are still looking to raise another $20M for Moody Colisuem upgrades and that gym has been subpar for well over a decade.

As of when NYT's Pete Thamel filed his report yesterday, early talks between members did not mention Texas schools. Reportedly, the early list is:

3- BYU

4- Pitt

Here is the almost certain response of the first two on the list.

If I was the Oklahomas, Kansas, Texas Tech, and Missouri, and you came to me with that list I would start actively extending feelers to other conferences because clearly Texas doesn't have any serious designs on keeping this league together or the glorious conference-saving TV-contract.

No school that is in an existing BCS AQ league or has an in to the BCS will join the Big XII-ish. There are way too many negatives and too few/no positives. And furthermore I suspect BYU wants to try this Mormon Notre Dame thing a little longer before they jump into a rapidly disintegrating Conference.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The reason I came up with UTEP and Tulsa is that they've been doing pretty good in both football and basketball-like a lot of you said, the Big XII's looking for just that.

Tulsa has another problems in the general demographics of the state and where they fit in as the #3 school. Oklahoma only has 3.7M residents and just 1.2M households. How many more viewers is Big XII conference going to add with Tulsa?

OU's state and local (third tier) media rights are worth $7.5M, for 10th in the nation. Advertisers alreach Oklahomans through the Sooners first, then OKState.

3- BYU

4- Pitt

That's why I said the Texas legislature, not the Big XII. There's difference between the league's wishlist and who is actually going to get into the league.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

3- BYU

4- Pitt

That's why I said the Texas legislature, not the Big XII. There's difference between the league's wish-list and who is actually going to get into the league.

TX Legislature is not going to be there issue; the Missouri Chancellor is the chair of the committee is Brady Deaton