Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

To quote myself:

LAND OF THE MEGA CONFERENCES

SEC

East

Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

West

Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, Texas A&M

PAC-16

North

California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State

South

Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Utah

ACC

Atlantic

Boston College, Connecticut, Louisville, Maryland, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, West Virginia

Coastal

Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

BIG 16

Legends

Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Notre Dame

Leaders

Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin

At the moment, that would probably be my guest as well for super conferences forming. The Oklahoma and Texas schools are more likely to head to the PAC than the SEC. It would also make sense for the Big East and ACC to just merge for football at least, although that would include their oddball geography like The Midwestern members... and TCU, who I don't see on your list.

The Oklahoman/NewsOK: Oklahoma's (and Oklahoma State's, in all probability) sole focus now on joining the Pac-12

Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott just so happens to be in Arlington for tonight's Oregon-LSU game. Perfect opportunity to touch base with the powers-that-be for Texas, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State about their interest in joining the Pac-12.

And so it begins...

I can't bear to think what this will mean for college athletics as a whole. Football drives everything; Men's Basketball is the red-headed stepchild, and every other sport is irrelevant. Goodbye, NCAA Tournament. Goodbye, College World Series. Goodbye, Frozen Four.

I'm sorry, but teams from Oklahoma and Texas should not be in the PAC. I will admit that I was used to it being 10 teams for the longest time, and most of the teams excluding the Arizonas were next to the coast. It was like that for 33 years until last year when the conference added Utah and Colorado. I'm fine with the way that it is now with 12, but can't it just stay the way it is for some time? It just seems silly that the conference is suddenly considering adding teams from the Midwest. I wonder how fellow PAC fans feel?

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Friday, orangebloods.com reported that Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe convened a conference call of Big 12 presidents -- excluding Boren, Texas' William Powers and Texas A&M's R. Bowen Loftin -- and urged them to petition Texas to remain with the league.

This seems appropriate:

DanBeebe.jpg

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And so it begins...

I can't bear to think what this will mean for college athletics as a whole. Football drives everything; Men's Basketball is the red-headed stepchild, and every other sport is irrelevant. Goodbye, NCAA Tournament. Goodbye, College World Series. Goodbye, Frozen Four.

It means baseball and basketball have an extra at large and the Frozen Four...carries on as normal I guess, since none of these schools have NCAA hockey programs.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How can a great conference like the Big XII fall apart so epically.

Built in structural inequalities between various members.

Today, we are all otaku.

I'm sorry, but teams from Oklahoma and Texas should not be in the PAC. I will admit that I was used to it being 10 teams for the longest time, and most of the teams excluding the Arizonas were next to the coast. It was like that for 33 years until last year when the conference added Utah and Colorado. I'm fine with the way that it is now with 12, but can't it just stay the way it is for some time? It just seems silly that the conference is suddenly considering adding teams from the Midwest. I wonder how fellow PAC fans feel?

I like it. It'll be good for the conference.

So Texas gets a lot for football I am sure Kansas got a lot for basketball.

Football brings in a lot more than basketball overall.

Today, we are all otaku.

Like I said at the very beginning: Texas likes being a big fish in a fairly average sized pond (Pac-12). Texas doesn't want to be a big fish in a huge pond (SEC). Sure, they will bring Oklahoma with them... but other than that... Oregon? I guess. USC? Who knows. Standford? Eh. Arizona/Arizona State? No.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

To be fair, the PAC-16 would have a better distribution of quality teams in it than the basketball Big East. The Big East is weighed down by a glut of schools like DePaul and PC that frankly have no business being in a major conference. For bad schools, the PAC-16 would have Wazzu, UCLA, and Colorado... that's about it.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

DePaul was actually a good program when the Big East invited them. Providence might not have been a blueblood but they were pretty solid in the '80s and '90s.

All it takes is one bad recruiting class to cripple a program for half a decade. And not everyone can be on top; a good team can become a mediocre one if the competition is that strong week-in and week-out. You'll end up seeing a lot of 7-5 or 8-4 records among teams that are used to being dominant.

A 16-conference can work if you treat it like 2 small conferences with an association crossover.

Each 8-team division would play the other teams in division plus one or two rotating (or permanent) opponents from the other one. The other three games would be non-conference. Division winner would meet in the title game and go from there.

How can a great conference like the Big XII fall apart so epically.

While the conference's roots are tenured (Big 8 and SWC), but the Big 12 in it's current form is only 15 years old.

When the commissioner lets Texas and Oklahoma play by a different set of rules than the other ten schools in the conference.

DePaul was actually a good program when the Big East invited them. Providence might not have been a blueblood but they were pretty solid in the '80s and '90s.

All it takes is one bad recruiting class to cripple a program for half a decade. And not everyone can be on top; a good team can become a mediocre one if the competition is that strong week-in and week-out. You'll end up seeing a lot of 7-5 or 8-4 records among teams that are used to being dominant.

No, DePaul already was well on the decline from their late 70s-early 90s heyday when they joined the Big East. The Big East grabbed the now-struggling DePaul program solely to get a more reliable Chicago foothold than Hibernia perfide and it has been a catastrophe from Day 1.

Today, we are all otaku.