Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Yeah, it's mainly about football but the bad blood might be toxic enough that A&M could convince them to block a move to even a sport like gymnastics.

Exactly. Let's be honest here, if you want to follow the reports and A&M's (possibly Nebraska's as well), it's all Texas' fault this is happening anyways. There's no way the Aggies let them play in a conference with them again.

I know all the news is about TA&M going to the SEC but I was thinking with all the teams leaving the WAC this year (Boise St.) and next (NV, HI & Fresno St.) for the MW, why don't they just merge and become a 12 - 16 team conference themselves? It seems like it is the only thing left to do to "keep up with the Jones'" of the "bigger" conferences. As a fan of these schools in the "smaller" conferences, I wish they would stop thinking about themselves and join together to beat the BCS. IMHO, bring on a playoff that includes everyone!

If WVU leaves for the SEC (and honestly I wouldn't blame them with the BE's mismanagement), say goodbye to the Big East as a football conference. In that case, I hope the ACC's ready to take in Syracuse/UConn/USF/whoever the B10 doesn't touch between Pitt and Rutgers

Where does that leave TCU? Pac-12?

If WVU leaves for the SEC (and honestly I wouldn't blame them with the BE's mismanagement), say goodbye to the Big East as a football conference. In that case, I hope the ACC's ready to take in Syracuse/UConn/USF/whoever the B10 doesn't touch between Pitt and Rutgers

Nope, the Pac will never take a religious school. It's why we didn't take BYU along with Utah.

Better yet, where does that leave Louisville and Cincinnati?

... wait, I just remembered nobody involved in the decision-making process gives a lick about basketball. For shame.

For shame? I'm a Louisville fan so I will be perturbed if they are left out in the cold but football is the money maker in this modern age. Even with Louisville being the most profitable program, that doesn't guarantee a league that has them will be as profitable.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Nope, the Pac will never take a religious school. It's why we didn't take BYU along with Utah.

I thought the reason stemmed from BYU's religious obligations concerning athletic competition on Sundays (which would have messed up the Pac-12 basketball tournament, among other things). There would be no such issue with TCU.

If WVU leaves for the SEC (and honestly I wouldn't blame them with the BE's mismanagement), say goodbye to the

Big East as a football conference. In that case, I hope the ACC's ready to take in Syracuse/UConn/USF/whoever the B10 doesn't touch between Pitt and Rutgers

Nope, the Pac will never take a religious school. It's why

we didn't take BYU along with Utah.

I thought the reason stemmed from BYU's religious obligations concerning athletic competition on Sundays (which would have messed up the Pac-12 basketball tournament, among other things). There would be no such

issue with TCU.

The PAC 10/12 basketball tournament has never been on a Sunday to my knowledge.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Well, the reason I listed those 5 schools is because of geographic location and/or academic reasons. TCU I think if the Big East disintegrates can find a new home somewhere, and going back to the Mountain West wouldn't be the end of the world considering it's likely going to get stronger with some of the Big XII school's that need a home. Not sure what to do with Cincy and Louisville. The ideal situation would be the ACC to get raided down to 9 and the Big East down to 7 and the two merge, but it looks less and less likely like that's going to happen with the SEC going after Mizzou and WVU

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Better yet, where does that leave Louisville and Cincinnati?

... wait, I just remembered nobody involved in the decision-making process gives a lick about basketball. For shame.

For shame? I'm a Louisville fan so I will be perturbed if they are left out in the cold but football is the money maker in this modern age. Even with Louisville being the most profitable program, that doesn't guarantee a league that has them will be as profitable.

I say it's a shame because I find basketball to be about twice as watchable as football. Three times as many teams, three times as many games, and upsets on top of upsets. Never mind that my team (Virginia Commonwealth) lacks a football team - I root for Air Force in football. Even so, The Mtn. invisibility non-withstanding, I find basketball more enjoyable to watch.

No layoffs (Even with a Conference Championship game, teams still end up sitting on their rumps for three weeks waiting for the January bowls). No BCS. And teams are actually punished for loading their non-conference schedules with pushovers and cupcakes (just ask Colorado).

I believe realignment will seriously harm the great institution that is the NCAA Tournament, if not kill it outright. What incentive do the "Fantastic Four" have to play against Mississippi Valley State in the first round of the dance if they could make just as much money (if not more!) breaking off and having their own exclusive tournament?

As a WVU fan, honestly I kind of prefer being in the Big East over the SEC. The Big East has an automatic BCS bid, and for the most part we are either the favorite or the 2nd favorite to win the conference. In the SEC we'd just be middle of the pack... in the Big East, an undefeated season is much more realistic for a team like WVU than it would be in the SEC.

But I would imagine SEC = better recruits. But still, I'm a wuss. Keep me in the cupcake Big East.

Plus our basketball conference is second to none! I like having a tough schedule in basketball, because regular season losses don't affect your ability to win it all (if you are a tourny worthy team), unlike in college football.

90758391980.gif

Back to the Mountain West?

Depending on how the Big Ten positions itself... they could be the last conference to brag about Football, Basketball, and Academics.

If the Pac-12 gets Oklahoma and Texas, they can boast Football and Basketball... I guess.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Depending on how the Big Ten positions itself... they could be the last conference to brag about Football, Basketball, and Academics.

If the Pac-12 gets Oklahoma and Texas, they can boast Football and Basketball... I guess.

And academics. Remember, we have Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado, all of which are known for being good academic schools. Utah and Arizona are no slouches either, especially Arizona's Honors college, S.A.L.T, which is one of the hardest colleges to get into in the world.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

And academics. Remember, we have Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado, all of which are known for being good academic schools. Utah and Arizona are no slouches either, especially Arizona's Honors college, S.A.L.T, which is one of the hardest colleges to get into in the world.

SALT isn't our Honors College. SALT is the special needs student program. Our Honors College is excellent, though, and we are one of the foremost universities in the world for planetary science and astronomy.

Anyway, the fact that eight of the twelve Pac-12 schools are AAU members (ASU, WSU, OSU and Utah are the exceptions) speaks for itself.

SALT isn't our Honors College. SALT is the special needs student program. Our Honors College is excellent, though, and we are one of the foremost universities in the world for planetary science and astronomy.

Anyway, the fact that eight of the twelve Pac-12 schools are AAU members (ASU, WSU, OSU and Utah are the exceptions) speaks for itself.

Well that explains why my parents wanted me to go there. Anyway, if I were to rank to conferences in terms of academics, it would go like this:

1. Pac-12

2. ACC

3. Big Ten

(you could interchange those three for the most part)

4. Big East

5. SEC

6. Big nothing

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.