Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

How would Boise State NOT make sense? Just because they never played in a legitimate conference? I'm sure if the Pac-12 could lure Texas over, they would be willing to make some adjustments to their TV schedules or do whatever they need to do with negotiating with ESPN or whoever runs the TV contract, to bring Texas in.

The Stanford caliber schools will never consort with a jumped-up community college. They've said as much.

To add, and I may be naive here, Boise doesn't have any other worthwhile athletics (like basketball, at the least). The Pac-12 is collectively competitive in every sport.

Yes, like for example wrestling and, its defending champion, Boise State.

If wrestling mattered, Iowa State would be a team conferences would want.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I think we can all agree that academically, Boise State isn't the greatest school in the world. But with the stadium expansion on the way, a growing fanbase, the fact that Idaho is one of the top 5 fastest-growing states in the US and the fact that the Boise metro area is one of the top 10 fastest-growing metro areas in the country, who's to say the Big 12 won't decide to look past the academics for now and reach out to BSU if the Oklahoma schools, Texas, and Texas Tech leave? If it works, there's a lot of profit potential, and it could save the Big 12. As it is, the Big 12 is worse academically overall than the PAC-12 - only five AAU schools to the PAC's eight. Granted, unless the Big 12 gets really desperate, an AQ conference invite is a pipe dream at best.

And who's to say Boise State would accept an invitation to a 5 team conference with Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor, and Missouri. If Texas, TT, Oklahoma and Ok State leave the conference, there won't be any Big XII left to save.

An AQ bid is an AQ bid.

Read up a couple. The NCAA would probably not accept a 6 team conference or at least allow them to maintain an AQ bid.

If I remember right, the Big East had to bring in Connecticut a year or two early in order to keep their Automatic Qualifier status. And that was eight schools....a six-school conference definitely isn't going to get an AQ bid for a BCS bowl.

Why don't they just admit them as an athletic member and not an academic member, then? This is not, nor was it ever, about academics. It's about grey-market pro football.

As long as this level of athletics is associated with universities and colleges, academics will play a factor in conference makeup.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Why don't they just admit them as an athletic member and not an academic member, then? This is not, nor was it ever, about academics. It's about grey-market pro football.

As long as this level of athletics is associated with universities and colleges, academics will play a factor in conference makeup.

That and if you're a full athletic member, then you're a full academic member. Their is no "academic conference". Its the overall "academic reputation" of the member schools that are the determinating factors. Wrestling is small enough that having them as a member does not really effect their academic reputation. Bringing them in for a sport like football would.

Boise State will never be in the Pac-12, 14 or 16. Case closed. Let's move on.

Ahmen.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

In case anyone's surprised:

Oklahoma to Apply to Pac-12

Ok State to follow suit. Good night Big XII.

Please remember that Chip Brown is nothing more than Texas' information minister.

That said, in light of other indications that the Oklahomas are probably planning on bailing and the SEC accepting A&M's application, the following image can best describe the Big XII right now.

housefire.jpg

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So it is officially official that there is going to be a College Football Realignment Avalanche in the next 6 months?

Officially? No. Probably? Probably.

I think, at the time, I meant unofficially official that A&M is joining the SEC and Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, possibly Texas going to the Pac-12?

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

But OU isn't an AAU school, and neither is OK State. Oklahoma just became a Tier 1 institution this past January. What happened to those precious, unwavering academic standards that the PAC-12 claims to be obsessed with?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

But OU isn't an AAU school, and neither is OK State. Oklahoma just became a Tier 1 institution this past January. What happened to those precious, unwavering academic standards that the PAC-12 claims to be obsessed with?

Money is better than Academics. Boise has neither.

There's still a wide gulf between the Oklahomas and Boise State. For example AAU membership is somewhat feasible in the near to medium term for Oklahoma. Not so for Boise State.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Oklahoma State is hardly AAU material either. Let's be honest, they're only going to the PAC-12 because Oklahoma is being forced to let them tag along.

Yes, but Oklahoma State also has nearly exclusive use of a billionaire sugar daddy. Boise State can't make similar claims.

Today, we are all otaku.