Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

https://twitter.com/#!/DanWolken/status/111517735950880768

Dear Texas A&M: Don't complain about being inconvenienced by Baylor. Blowing up all of college sports isn't convenient for about 100 schools

A&M has every right to leave the Big 12 if they're unhappy with their standing in it. I'm not really sure why there's hostility towards the Aggies. Like I've said all along, blame Texas.

I know all the news is about TA&M going to the SEC but I was thinking with all the teams leaving the WAC this year (Boise St.) and next (NV, HI & Fresno St.) for the MW, why don't they just merge and become a 12 - 16 team conference themselves? It seems like it is the only thing left to do to "keep up with the Jones'" of the "bigger" conferences. As a fan of these schools in the "smaller" conferences, I wish they would stop thinking about themselves and join together to beat the BCS. IMHO, bring on a playoff that includes everyone!

History illustrates that it has issues working on that level. You can look up the issues with the WAC when they had 16 teams to see the overall problems. The original WAC did not like the format and formed the MWC as a result.

A&M has every right to leave the Big 12 if they're unhappy with their standing in it. I'm not really sure why there's hostility towards the Aggies. Like I've said all along, blame Texas.

Both Texas and A&M should share the blame for potentially ruining college football.

Texas' attempt at being the NCAA's answer to the New York Yankees should take the blame.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Both Texas and A&M should share the blame for potentially ruining college football.

I assume you're being hyperbolic, but how would the collapse of the Big 12 ruin college football? Perhaps I'm not seeing something obvious, but I see the college football landscape essentially the same after this potential massive realignment.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Look Baylor I'm sorry you've realized that without your patron Ann Richards, nobody wants to consort with a school that 1) May or may not include the Book of Genesis in its science curriculum, 2) fields a good football team roughly once every two decades, and 3) is less than a decade removed from the basketball team getting hit with massive sanctions for trying to use a player's murder to cover up SMU-caliber NCAA violations.

The dream was going to end sometime, and no amount of suing is going to bring it back.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I assume you're being hyperbolic, but how would the collapse of the Big 12 ruin college football? Perhaps I'm not seeing something obvious, but I see the college football landscape essentially the same after this potential massive realignment.

This doesn't just affect the Big 12. Texas A&M is just firing the first salvo in the new chaos of super conferences. If they leave, it looks like it's only a matter of time before Oklahoma and Texas go to the PAC. Then, look for every other major conference to start trying to steal from each other. Of course, prominent mid-majors get left out in the cold just as they start finally getting acceptance as good football schools. We'll be left with a shell of college football's former self, with no parity whatsoever and a :censored:ty postseason to boot.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I know all the news is about TA&M going to the SEC but I was thinking with all the teams leaving the WAC this year (Boise St.) and next (NV, HI & Fresno St.) for the MW, why don't they just merge and become a 12 - 16 team conference themselves? It seems like it is the only thing left to do to "keep up with the Jones'" of the "bigger" conferences. As a fan of these schools in the "smaller" conferences, I wish they would stop thinking about themselves and join together to beat the BCS. IMHO, bring on a playoff that includes everyone!

History illustrates that it has issues working on that level. You can look up the issues with the WAC when they had 16 teams to see the overall problems. The original WAC did not like the format and formed the MWC as a result.

Exactly. Besides, the WAC, particularly after this season, is littered with teams no one but the desperate to survive WAC would want. There's not much left for the MWC to want from them. However a conference like the MWC may benefit from some of the larger conferences imploding like the Big 12 and Big East by being there to pick up the pieces.

As for Texas, as I said before, it'll be a cold day in hell before they join the Pac-12. They'll never surrender their beloved TV network which the Pac-12 has said is a requirement of admission. So it's a non-starter.

This doesn't just affect the Big 12. Texas A&M is just firing the first salvo in the new chaos of super conferences. If they leave, it looks like it's only a matter of time before Oklahoma and Texas go to the PAC. Then, look for every other major conference to start trying to steal from each other. Of course, prominent mid-majors get left out in the cold just as they start finally getting acceptance as good football schools. We'll be left with a shell of college football's former self, with no parity whatsoever and a :censored:ty postseason to boot.

I guess I don't see that ending all that different from the current system. Let's say that the Big 12 is dissolved and 16-team superconferences form in its wake. I don't see how the BCS becomes more biased against mid-majors like Boise State or TCU than what it is already.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Exactly. Besides, the WAC, particularly after this season, is littered with teams no one but the desperate to survive WAC would want. There's not much left for the MWC to want from them. However a conference like the MWC may benefit from some of the larger conferences imploding like the Big 12 and Big East by being there to pick up the pieces.

As for Texas, as I said before, it'll be a cold day in hell before they join the Pac-12. They'll never surrender their beloved TV network which the Pac-12 has said is a requirement of admission. So it's a non-starter.

Not necessarily. They just have to fold LHN into the Pac-12 cable system, which could actually give them more programming at a lesser cost. What they will give up is the control that LHN gives them regardless of if they are available in households or not.

Not being the center of a conference may be much more important.

Not necessarily. They just have to fold LHN into the Pac-12 cable system, which could actually give them more programming at a lesser cost. What they will give up is the control that LHN gives them regardless of if they are available in households or not.

Not being the center of a conference may be much more important.

Well I think losing that control of the TV network is the primary symptom of overall loss of control. In a Pac-16 Texas would just be "one of the boys" equal to bigger schools like Stanford and USC but also also "smaller" schools like Washington St. And they wouldn't be able to live with that.

I guess I don't see that ending all that different from the current system. Let's say that the Big 12 is dissolved and 16-team superconferences form in its wake. I don't see how the BCS becomes more biased against mid-majors like Boise State or TCU than what it is already.

If the super conferences form, the system is rigged against them and the glut of oversized conferences filled with blue-blood programs ensures that they'll never get a seat at the major-conference table. At least in the current alignment, Utah and TCU got to move up.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Both Texas and A&M should share the blame for potentially ruining college sports.

Fixed your thread! But in all seriousness,i can't emphasize enough what potential damage this will do to the olympic/non-revenue sports!

Ehhh, baseball/softball/soccer/volleyball? Yeah. But sports like hockey (well, to an extent with that B10 hockey conference coming in), lacrosse, track and field, women's basketball (and for that matter men's when all things are considered, just ask Butler about needing to be in a good conference to have success), wrestling... it shouldn't hurt those that much. It's all a case by case effect with the direction of superconferences.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Both Texas and A&M should share the blame for potentially ruining college sports.

Fixed your thread! But in all seriousness,i can't emphasize enough what potential damage this will do to the olympic/non-revenue sports!

*looks up*

people care about that?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If WVU leaves for the SEC (and honestly I wouldn't blame them with the BE's mismanagement), say goodbye to the Big East as a football conference. In that case, I hope the ACC's ready to take in Syracuse/UConn/USF/whoever the B10 doesn't touch between Pitt and Rutgers

The Big East managed to live without Miami and Virginia Tech, so I assume that losing WVU wouldn't be that big of a deal. Plus, those Big XII schools have to go somewhere; what's to keep any of them from joining the Big East?

People have been predicting the death of the Big East ever since the BCS started. It hasn't happened yet, and I don't think WVU moving to the SEC would do it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags