NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

That's ridiculous. How can someone else own their colors? How does one acquire the rights to the Buffalo Sabres' previous color scheme? If the Sabres don't own their own material, who owns it? When did they get it?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has kinda fell under the cracks, but yesterday in Newsday they said that the Rangers will have an alternate this season that says "New York" in the traditional diagonal font. Think what they wore back in the day and during that 9/11 charity fundraiser game they had against the Sabres, I guess.

However the new practice jerseys have the Lady Liberty logo, so who knows which direction they'll take

Guess we should brace for this...

http://www.ty-comemorabilia.com/247%20Leetch%20NYR%20Blue%20New%20York%20Jersey%2001-02%20Overall%20Front%20MQ.jpg

247%20Leetch%20NYR%20Blue%20New%20York%20Jersey%2001-02%20Overall%20Front%20MQ.jpg

That's ridiculous. How can someone else own their colors? How does one acquire the rights to the Buffalo Sabres' previous color scheme? If the Sabres don't own their own material, who owns it? When did they get it?

Could there possibly be a conflict because the royal blue and yellow have traditionally been a Blues trademark (i know they have added the darker navy in there, too, but still...)

Those winter classic jerseys were sharp. If they can't replicate that, what do they do? Turn the royal to navy?

Could there possibly be a conflict because the royal blue and yellow have traditionally been a Blues trademark (i know they have added the darker navy in there, too, but still...)

Those winter classic jerseys were sharp. If they can't replicate that, what do they do? Turn the royal to navy?

If the Sabres used their old jerseys, but switched from royal blue to navy blue, it'd be a downgrade (from the originals) but would also be better than everything they've had *since* the originals.

It never ceases to amaze me just how simple the Sabres 2006 change should have been.

1. Go back to the original uniforms.

2. *Maybe* tweak the blue and gold to new shades of each.

3. Put the B with a sword through it alternate logo on the shoulders (so that there's something from the 10 years they spent with the black and red jerseys).

Really, the whole uniform design process should have taken roughly 2 days.

As for the Blues, I remember back in the 80's both teams had pretty much the same blue and yellow color scheme. Then they both went nutty and added new colors in the 90's. So it can't possibly matter if they both had royal blue and yellow now. The whole "Sabres don't own their colors" thing is just another example of the NHL being ridiculous and doing everything it can to avoid common sense.

Then I wonder why Wirtz didn't stop the Sabres and Hurricanes from wearing red, white, and black. COLOR INFRINGEMENT~!

I know how stupid it sounds (and in reality, it IS stupid), but that's one of the wonders of our intellectual property protection.

This isn't the first time this has happened, either, the Bruins tried to stop the Penguins from adopting black and gold in 1979 because they "had a monopoly on the color scheme". It was only because the Pens were able to cite the Pittsburgh Pirates NHL franchise as having black and gold before the Bruins that the switch was approved.

I also believe it was Chris Rock that said "Wealthy is the guy who owns the color blue" lol

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I was just looking at the canadian tire flyer, and there was a additional pullout flyer for hockey equitment and about the NHL and canadian tire becomong sponsors, and they had all the current NHL logos and buffalo had the classic logo.

Not a huge fan of teams throwing back to something that never existed... But, when they realize the error of their ways (or, when they decide to jump on the throwback fad) and revert to a better look from the past, I'm all for it, whatever the motivation.

Thing is - to me teams should have an identity, ande more or less stick to it. No real major changes, unless they got it wrong the first time. Tweaks n stuff are fine, but entirely new logos, colours, wordmarks (gulp, team names) just illegitimize the franchise to me. Change the colours a bit, but keep a similar logo. Get a new logo, but keep the colours; and everything should still reference the past in some way.

English soccer teams change uniform designs every month, but the team colors seem more or less sacrosanct. They don't seem to have Canuckian identity crises over there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This has kinda fell under the cracks, but yesterday in Newsday they said that the Rangers will have an alternate this season that says "New York" in the traditional diagonal font. Think what they wore back in the day and during that 9/11 charity fundraiser game they had against the Sabres, I guess.

However the new practice jerseys have the Lady Liberty logo, so who knows which direction they'll take

Isn't that what the Rangers have already had on their practice jerseys for the last few years though?

Yep.

English soccer teams change uniform designs every month, but the team colors seem more or less sacrosanct. They don't seem to have Canuckian identity crises over there.

I wouldn't call it the Canuckian identity crisis, I would call it Al Davis syndrome. Al thinks anyone who uses black or silver, or even the ones that would dare use those together, is infringement on the Raiders look. I think Al might be crazy. :shocked:

The Sabres just need to go back to the red/black look and never change again. I secretly love the goat head. toothless.gif

Finally someone agrees with me

I'm a Sabres fan and I love that uniform too -- so long as someone else is wearing it. It was too jarring a change from what the team had always looked like. If the Sabres were an expansion team that entered the league in 1996 and that was their jersey, it would have been awesome.

Taken by itself, that uniform is great, but the Sabres wrecked their identity and continuity with it. (And then they really wrecked things in 2006. And now they're all over the place.)

The Sabres will most likely release a superb alternate jersey, with number stitching, retro script and all. But I have a stronger than ever feeling that it will all be ruined by the fact that the road jersey will still have the Slug. I don't mean to be negative, but I don't see things being any different. Sorry guys.

Archived