NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

Miami Herald "On Frozen Pond" - Panthers Going Blue?

With cool logos in mind - or not - word on the street is the Panthers are likely going to keep the leaping Panther as their primary logo in 2011-2012 while changing the team's colors from the H. Wayne picked blue-gold-red to the Tampa Bay Rays scheme we saw last year.

The blue-on-blue color scheme (what do we call it? The JetBlues? The Sunrise Rays?) apparently will be the Panthers uniform look by that season.

I have not confirmed this yet with people at the top, but even Stanley C. Panther's travel van has been transformed with the new colors and the website is using them exclusively.

The Panthers have been wanting to jump start their look - read: merchandise sales - for a long time now.

Some team officials have been wanting to change the current logo to the third jersey crest (at left) although owner Cliff Viner is opposed to it, with FIU one staffer telling me he thinks it looks like it belongs to the FIU Panthers - and doesn't look sharp enough to be a pro logo.

He has a great point.

While the third crest logo isn't going anywhere for now, word is the Panther with the breaking stick is the logo of the future. In some shape or form.

In 2011-2012, the current thirds would become the home jersey with a new white/blue/light blue coming for the road.

The third jersey - if the stick breaking panther is indeed the primary logo - could incorporate the head crest. If there is a third jersey. Probably won't for the first few years of the redesign.

I'm sure there are people hard at work on this as we speak. Here's hoping they fix the dopey FLA logo...

And leave the palm tree/hockey stick shoulder patch alone...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those changes seem inevitable because alot of teams are dumping unique colorful color schemes for inferior ones. Even though navy and powder blue ain't a bad combo, it doesn't scream Florida Panthers at all to me.

Those changes seem inevitable because alot of teams are dumping unique colorful color schemes for inferior ones. Even though navy and powder blue ain't a bad combo, it doesn't scream Florida Panthers at all to me.

I always thought the Panthers' red, navy blue, and yellow was a really cool combo. I also liked their alternates last year, so they'll still look cool if they keep their logo untouched (their current primary, not the circular logo on the current alternate).

The powder blue bandwagon is getting a little crowded though.

Agreed. Their current color scheme is pretty cool, but everyone wants to go more common and the blue is overdone. There is an obsession with blues, especially the light blue, in sports now that I don't like. Teams need to go outside the box for color schemes, or at least keep some originality. The navy/powder blue is terrible, and so is the crest on their new thirds.

The Blues and Panthers did essentially the same thing with the circular logo with logo and script. Bleh, I'm not impressed. I'd rather have a bigger dominant graphic on the jersey than something that subdues it like the circle and script.

2ly2w09.jpg

Also saw this while going through team sites, the Isles got new practice jerseys with some different striping.

http://shop.nhl.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4333992&cp=3253870&clickid=body_bestsell_txt

Not sure if that is going to be a league-wide template since everyone used to have the same before with a solid color and logo.

2ly2w09.jpg

Their expansion look, with the pointy shoulder yokes and all, was extremely unique and shouts Florida Panthers to me. I hate the way it's utilized in the new Edge template, but atleast the colors are still there.

Another example of a team with unique design and color scheme switching to something bland and common.

sig.png

Also saw this while going through team sites, the Isles got new practice jerseys with some different striping.

http://shop.nhl.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4333992&cp=3253870&clickid=body_bestsell_txt

Not sure if that is going to be a league-wide template since everyone used to have the same before with a solid color and logo.

Good find. Looks like they have the new practice jerseys listed for most of the teams. They kind of look like the team jerseys they sell at Walmart. I will admit to liking how they did the NHL logo on the collars.

4114313717_ee13929eec_o.png

The powder blue bandwagon is getting a little crowded though.

2 other teams? Or did you mean in sports in general?

Sports in general. Like I said, I think it's a good look, but it seems like everyone is adding (or bringing back) powder blue at the same time.

I actually thought the red, navy blue, and yellow was a pretty unique scheme that looked good.

Agreed. Their current color scheme is pretty cool, but everyone wants to go more common and the blue is overdone. There is an obsession with blues, especially the light blue, in sports now that I don't like. Teams need to go outside the box for color schemes, or at least keep some originality. The navy/powder blue is terrible, and so is the crest on their new thirds.

The Blues and Panthers did essentially the same thing with the circular logo with logo and script. Bleh, I'm not impressed. I'd rather have a bigger dominant graphic on the jersey than something that subdues it like the circle and script.

I agree. It's a great color scheme, and having bought some Penguins throwback jerseys long before the Winter Classic jerseys were even announced, I had hoped someone would take up that color scheme, simply because it works really well and looks good with hockey. Now it feels like (I realize it's only 2 teams, but it feels like a lot) everybody is using it, like teal in the 90s and orange last decade (red if you follow MLB)

I've also said I want somebody to use the Montreal Canadiens 1909 jersey pattern, it looked so classy and unique and it's never going to be used again. It's a shame, but I also wouldn't want multiple teams using it

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

It would make no sense to cross-brand with the Tampa Bay Rays when you're in suburban Miami, and it would make no sense to use wintry colors like these when you play in, again, suburban Miami, but then I remember who we're talking about, and I fully expect them to be exclusively in old Penguins colors by fall 2011. I mean, they've already ganked "SCORRRRREEEEEE!!!! SHOUT A GOOFY NONSENSE PHRASE!!!!" from Mike Lange, why not take their old colors, too. Navy/yellow/red is the only thing that stupid team has going for it. At least we'll always have the Barrie Colts.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On one hand this is good news because the Panthers current jerseys are an absolute eyesore and we'd be another step closer to eliminating Piping from hockey sweaters for good. Im glad they will not be using the circular logo, because it looks awful, and Im hoping they dont mess with the full bodied panther too much. I think it'd actually look pretty sharp on Powder Blue jersey.

On the other hand its a shame because the original colours and logo are the only things left of what was arguably the best Identity of the 90's expansion. The Evolution of the Panthers look is a backwards trajectory. The team got it absolutely perfect the first time and every alteration along the way has been a downgrade. Bring back the Red!

The Panthers don't need the circular logo. All they need to do is retain the panther head from that logo, and give it a body to make an updated version of the primary. If they decide to add powder blue onto the future primary logo, I can't picture a way that would make it stick out nicely. Their current navy and gold logo with a touch of red is perfect the way it is.

I wonder what they are going to do with the FLA/sun logo, down the line.

I would take what you see in a video game with a big grain of salt. The people that EA hires to design the uniforms for the game are not as anal as most of the members on this board are. They usually get the major details of the jersey right (striping, colours, primary logo) right, but when it comes to what most would call minor details (fonts, shoulder/pant logos, etc.) there are usually a few mistakes. I've seen the same logo on the shoulders that is used on the front of the Sharks jersey, the profile Sens logo on the pants, and on the Nashville third the stripes were wrong and didn't feature the checkered pattern.

I would take what you see in a video game with a big grain of salt. The people that EA hires to design the uniforms for the game are not as anal as most of the members on this board are. They usually get the major details of the jersey right (striping, colours, primary logo) right, but when it comes to what most would call minor details (fonts, shoulder/pant logos, etc.) there are usually a few mistakes. I've seen the same logo on the shoulders that is used on the front of the Sharks jersey, the profile Sens logo on the pants, and on the Nashville third the stripes were wrong and didn't feature the checkered pattern.

I understand that, and I spotted something like that in the demo - the Blackhawks shoulder patch in the game is the sans-serif C, which they don't use as a shoulder patch anymore. But this is something that's pretty obviously added because it'll be on the new roads.

330zl3b.png

Miami Herald "On Frozen Pond" - Panthers Going Blue?

With cool logos in mind - or not - word on the street is the Panthers are likely going to keep the leaping Panther as their primary logo in 2011-2012 while changing the team's colors from the H. Wayne picked blue-gold-red to the Tampa Bay Rays scheme we saw last year.

The blue-on-blue color scheme (what do we call it? The JetBlues? The Sunrise Rays?) apparently will be the Panthers uniform look by that season.

I have not confirmed this yet with people at the top, but even Stanley C. Panther's travel van has been transformed with the new colors and the website is using them exclusively.

The Panthers have been wanting to jump start their look - read: merchandise sales - for a long time now.

Some team officials have been wanting to change the current logo to the third jersey crest (at left) although owner Cliff Viner is opposed to it, with FIU one staffer telling me he thinks it looks like it belongs to the FIU Panthers - and doesn't look sharp enough to be a pro logo.

He has a great point.

While the third crest logo isn't going anywhere for now, word is the Panther with the breaking stick is the logo of the future. In some shape or form.

In 2011-2012, the current thirds would become the home jersey with a new white/blue/light blue coming for the road.

The third jersey - if the stick breaking panther is indeed the primary logo - could incorporate the head crest. If there is a third jersey. Probably won't for the first few years of the redesign.

I'm sure there are people hard at work on this as we speak. Here's hoping they fix the dopey FLA logo...

And leave the palm tree/hockey stick shoulder patch alone...

Saw this today buried in that Whalers story... figured somebody already caught it. And I figured I'd find in somewhere in this thread...

I've stated this before, but I'm strongly in support of the original Panthers colors. And most of the vocal fans I've seen are in support of a return to red as the dominant color. It's a relief to see that they plan to retain the primary logo -- which IMO is far superior to the circle logo on the alt -- although I actually prefer the one without the broken stick.

However, with every uni change the Panthers make, I find myself settling for a "it could be worse" mentality. When the navy alt became the primary home, it was "well, at least they still have the red as an alt." When the atrocious Edge versions came out, it was "well, at least they kept the logos and colors and maybe even added a bit more red to the sleeves of the two surviving jerseys." And then of course when this light blue disaster came out it made me appreciate the navy version that much more. With every passing change I hope to hang on to some piece of the previous, at-that-point superior look.

If they had not been so late to the double-blue bandwagon -- even though I know it's not huge in the NHL, it only further confuses the Panthers' colors with a team in their own division (Thrashers) -- then maybe I could live with it, especially if the main logo stays. But why not go with teal and navy? It would fit Florida, the nearby Marlins are dumping it, and as far as I know only the Seattle Mariners use that combo. (And the NHL's other teal team is across the country, not just up I-75.) I could have handled that, even though it means that the last link to the original set (the white jersey) will go away. That seems certain for 2011 anyway.

But it really surprises me that the few fans that speak up seem to want red, and the team doesn't care.

The Panthers look sharper in navy sweaters and socks than they do in red ones. The red and yellow pop off the navy base better than navy and yellow off red. It's more conventional, yeah, but these things work for a reason. Oh well, it's just the Panthers, the NHL's answer to a question no one asked.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived