NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's ridiculous. How can someone else own their colors? How does one acquire the rights to the Buffalo Sabres' previous color scheme? If the Sabres don't own their own material, who owns it? When did they get it?

Could there possibly be a conflict because the royal blue and yellow have traditionally been a Blues trademark (i know they have added the darker navy in there, too, but still...)

If I had to guess, the original colours are probably still the intellectual property of the Knox family and weren't sold to the Rigas group in 1996. I've read that the Rigas group had already been planning to switch to black and red anyway and so they probably didn't care to obtain all the legal rights to colours they weren't going to use.

It's probably nothing more than obscure legal wording in the sale agreement that allows/allowed the Knox family to continue earning royalties and/or market and profit from nostalgia products. Golisano probably inherited those conditions when he bought the team.

That's interesting. Something to look further into. Personally, I think it's a bunch of crap, since the Sabres wore their 70-95 road sweaters as alternates a whole bunch of times.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Here is a picture of the Maple Leaf new uniforms in action ( or on ice ).

ed16307d4ca0a8edb16e1026e802.jpeg

They look more better in action.

I sure hope they look more better in action... I kinda think the addition of waist stripes to last year's jersey would have been best. Sorta liked the classiness of no shoulder logo, the laces are kinda pointless, etc.

Anyways...I'm sure they'll look great. Did the player name font change? Back to the early 90s block? I actually dug the logo font for the player names...

Ehh... before I saw it on a player I liked the white collar... now I feel it is unnecessary or just too big... Regardless, better than what they've been wearing the past few years.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Socks could lose a few stripes.

Collar could go to white and lose the laces. I agree with Neon in saying that the collar looks a bit bulky with the white.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

I think it would look better without the shoulder logo, that just seems to clutter up a good design. And while the lack of hem stripes did look good if you just have a jersey, the addition of those hem stripes really help out the all blue set they were wearing on the ice. I'm indifferent on the white collar and lace-up. Just add some stripes to the pants, take away the shoulder logo, and the Leafs will look perfect.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

That's interesting. Something to look further into. Personally, I think it's a bunch of crap, since the Sabres wore their 70-95 road sweaters as alternates a whole bunch of times.

And, if the legal theory is valid, they probably negotiated/paid for that. But it's totally a theory based solely on someone saying that they don't "own" the rights to the colours. My supposition on a legal clause in a sale agreement is just a plausible way that *could* have happened if it is indeed true. But yes, it could be a load of crap. So too could the original assertion about them not owning the rights to the colours.

You cant trademark a colour scheme or uniform. Only a logo can be trademarked.

Quite possibly (I am not a lawyer) but I believe a colour scheme and uniform could come under "Intellectual Property" in a legal sense which may have been a way to allow the previous owners to continue earning money from the franchise.

I sure hope they look more better in action... I kinda think the addition of waist stripes to last year's jersey would have been best. Sorta liked the classiness of no shoulder logo, the laces are kinda pointless, etc.

Anyways...I'm sure they'll look great. Did the player name font change? Back to the early 90s block? I actually dug the logo font for the player names...

Yes, the name font (as well as the number font) went back to the block. The logo font for the player names was, in my opinion, way to "cute" for an Original Six team.

Anyway I disagree with you regarding the previous set. The addition of the alternate logo to the sleeves helps tie the primary set with the alternate throwbacks. It ties the whole look together. As for lace-ups, if any team should be wearing them the second oldest team in the league is a good choice. The fonts from the last set also muddled the identity. You had a custom name font and a second custom font for the numbers. Both of which, as I've said before, were way to cute for a team with the history the Leafs have.

All in all I love the new Leafs' sweaters. The Maple Leafs look like the Maple Leafs again.

None of the new elements bother me on their own, per se.....but in that photo, the uniform looks awfully busy, especially for the leafs... I used to like the shoulder leaf (and detested the tML), I'm usually atleast neutral on laces, but, again, judging by that photo, their appears to be too much white...(I'm sure in action they'll look better.)

Whatever, the waist stripes alone = massive improvement. These little quibbles aside, the leafs still have one of the best looks in the land (something the lack of hem stripes denied them.) If I'm a little nit-picky about it, its only because the toronto maple leafs are by far and away my favorite sports team.

Whatever, the waist stripes alone = massive improvement. These little quibbles aside, the leafs still have one of the best looks in the land (something the lack of hem stripes denied them.) If I'm a little nit-picky about it, its only because the toronto maple leafs are by far and away my favorite sports team.

Likewise.

None of the new elements bother me on their own, per se.....but in that photo, the uniform looks awfully busy, especially for the leafs... I used to like the shoulder leaf (and detested the tML), I'm usually atleast neutral on laces, but, again, judging by that photo, their appears to be too much white...(I'm sure in action they'll look better.)

They don't look any busier then the 1992-1996 set, which seems to be the primary inspiration for the current set.

I wouldn't mind seeing blue collars on the blue sweaters, but really it's a minor complaint.

Archived