2010 NCAA Final Four Thread

Cujo

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do people keep talking about conferences?

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=8&t=72424&qpid=1305912

Because some of them are supposed to be good basketball conferences. Take The Big East for example.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Big East had 8 schools in the tournament and as of this post, are barely 1-3 (could have been 0-4). The three losses have all come against vastly lower seeds (#11 ODU, #11 Washington, and #14 Ohio).

It would appear that someone missed the joke. Which, based on the screen name, makes sense I guess.

Infrared, you missed my post that prompted my thorough response, which was: "Wasn't the Big East supposed to be a basketball conference? We've been fooled." Five minutes later, the admiral replied. Since you and I are talking about the same side of the coin (I had beaten you to the punchline already), e.g. the Big East is not representing itself admirably in the tournament so far, isn't it comforting to support the "joke" with facts? Further, I'm not as Mindless as I seem, but thank you for your insult.

Why do people keep talking about conferences?

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=8&t=72424&qpid=1305912

Because some of them are supposed to be good basketball conferences. Take The Big East for example.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Big East had 8 schools in the tournament and as of this post, are barely 1-3 (could have been 0-4). The three losses have all come against vastly lower seeds (#11 ODU, #11 Washington, and #14 Ohio).

It would appear that someone missed the joke. Which, based on the screen name, makes sense I guess.

Infrared, you missed my post that prompted my thorough response, which was: "Wasn't the Big East supposed to be a basketball conference? We've been fooled." Five minutes later, the admiral replied. Since you and I are talking about the same side of the coin (I had beaten you to the punchline already), e.g. the Big East is not representing itself admirably in the tournament so far, isn't it comforting to support the "joke" with facts? Further, I'm not as Mindless as I seem, but thank you for your insult.

A. I did see your post and if it was "the punchline" then it wasn't funny. But that's beside the point, your response to my post gave no indication that you were in on the joke. "Correct me if I'm wrong but..." and you proceeded to go an about bad The Big East has played so far. Funny stuff.

B. C'mon, you don't think the screen name "Mindless" played right into it? It wasn't meant as an insult. I was kidding.

Relax dude. It was all in fun.

BB52Big.jpg

You heard it here first: Today's games will return to normalcy.

The favored teams, having seen yesterday's action, will be more focused than their Thursday counterparts.

As for today's action....go Cornell and Oklahoma State!

Yup. Unfortunately that's usually what happens. We get all fired up on Thursday, go into "wow, just wait until tomorrow" mode, and end up watching the high seeds blow out the little guys. I'm sure someone will come along and post 36 examples of how wrong I am about that. But it sure seems like Fridays are never as exciting as are Thursdays during the first week. Although I like New Mexico state as the usual 12-5 upset.

Go Bucks. Don't be the exception to the "Friday rule."

BB52Big.jpg

The favored teams, having seen yesterday's action, will be more focused than their Thursday counterparts.

Yup. Unfortunately that's usually what happens. We get all fired up on Thursday, go into "wow, just wait until tomorrow" mode, and end up watching the high seeds blow out the little guys. I'm sure someone will come along and post 36 examples of how wrong I am about that. But it sure seems like Fridays are never as exciting as are Thursdays during the first week. Although I like New Mexico state as the usual 12-5 upset.

The Tournament usually has that one suprise day in the first weekend, and three normal days. And until recently, it always seemed like the 9:30pm games on both Thursday and Friday would be the craziest games of the tourney. I remember Maryland beating UNC Wilmington on a buzzer-beating 3-pointer, Hampton beating Iowa State, Weber State beating UNC, and a wacky UGA-Missouri game....all happening in that final game of the evening.

The Tournament usually has that one suprise day in the first weekend, and three normal days. And until recently, it always seemed like the 9:30pm games on both Thursday and Friday would be the craziest games of the tourney. I remember Maryland beating UNC Wilmington on a buzzer-beating 3-pointer, Hampton beating Iowa State, Weber State beating UNC, and a wacky UGA-Missouri game....all happening in that final game of the evening.

IIRC Bucknell beating Kansas was one of the late games.

Some thoughts on the day after OU's victory over Georgetown.

1. That was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Within 5 minutes of the game ending the entire street was crowded with students, the cops shut the street down. It was not a riot, it was pure natural organic jubilation. The camera crew brought the mob right in front of the balcony that I was standing on. I had the best possible seat in the house. One of the football players stood on a trash can and led the mob in the fight song and chants. My favorite one being, "What's a hoya? Bobcat's bitch"

2. We don't get a lot of athletic triumphs. That's why everyone went crazy for a first round win. But, it was so great to see some pride for the university. This school is very pro Ohio State athletics, but it was awesome to see all the green and white Ohio shirts out last night. It will be interesting to see how OU students handle it if we play OSU in the sweet sixteen.

3. It's a crying shame that this is finals week and today is the last day of finals week. Of all the people that were on the street last night, I bet only 1/4 of them will still be in Athens on Saturday. Even worse, when the players return to town there won't be that many students left to welcome them back. Spring break came about a week too early/late.

4. The game itself was incredible. Armon Basset and DJ Cooper (aka "the 11 year old freshman") were outstanding. We couldn't miss from the arch. Georgetown just couldn't get anything going. For the game, OU looked and played like the better team. Going in, I just wanted it to be close. Turns out it wasn't, but in good way.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Well the first games are over and none of them were exciting.

Cornell was the only upset but a lot of people had Cornell beating Temple anyways. Hopefully these second games can boost interest up again.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

You might get your wish, Panda... Wofford is only down five to Wisconsin at this moment. It wouldn't shock me if Wofford did win, but I don't see it happening.

Elsewhere, Pitt is way ahead of Oakland and Purdue is basically telling everyone that picked Siena to win to eat it. Oh, and the Mizzou-Clemson game is tied.

Looks like Wofford's gonna pull off the upset over Wisconsin. Tough way to end the season.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Not to rain on everyone's trendy Siena pick and all, but the Saints' "experience" :censored: the bed in literally every game against every remotely decent non-Conference foe this season.

So, to review. The Saints still have yet to beat a remotely decent non-Conference foe this season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Looks like Wofford's gonna pull off the upset over Wisconsin. Tough way to end the season.

Whoa there....it's a 1-point game with 11 minutes left.

Back away from the ledge, Tnak.

I suppose it's too early to know. But this is a bad road team (and it's a road game based on the crowd) that gets into these incredible 20% shooting funks...looks like it's what's going on. I should relax...this being an easy win never even occured to me. This will be decided by 4 or less...maybe in OT. I don't want to have a first round loss vs. a 13, but there is no way they beat Cornell anyway...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

Wofford is playing some really good basketball, could be another 12v13 second round like last year when Arizona and Cleveland State both advanced to play one another.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Badgers squeaked it out...but this is not a very good team right now. I think the ESPN crew was right...Cornell should beat them. Thanks to poor officiating and Wofford 1-7 from the line in the second half.

Wofford, to their credit played great in the 2nd half (except free throws).

Now I have to continue to watch Wisconsin's conference tourney hockey game (great scheduling, eh? Simultaneous...but the hockey game was set based on their finish and hoops would never change itself for hockey).

POTD (Shared)

Archived