New Uniforms/Logo for the Clippers?

Lights Out

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, i've always thought even a change as small as this could work if they didn't want a whole new overhaul:

ClipsIdea.png

Huh... the basketball looks good now, but I think the script looks a little bit weak compared to the rest of the logo, if you know what I mean.

I agree the script need to be refined but this is much better. Also, the speed lines coming off the ball are simply too Lakers to me. Not sure how it would look but my first though was to make the line wavy to simulate water/waves which would may be a nice tie in to the actual Clipper ships.

yeah, i've always thought even a change as small as this could work if they didn't want a whole new overhaul:

ClipsIdea.png

Huh... the basketball looks good now, but I think the script looks a little bit weak compared to the rest of the logo, if you know what I mean.

I agree the script need to be refined but this is much better. Also, the speed lines coming off the ball are simply too Lakers to me. Not sure how it would look but my first though was to make the line wavy to simulate water/waves which would may be a nice tie in to the actual Clipper ships.

You're onto something there.

My biggest beef w/ the Clippers identity isn't its similarity to the Lakers, but the fact it that lacks any sort of imagery in relation to team's name. They don't need to shoehorn a sailboat into the logo, but it would be nice if the logo didn't make the name seem irrelevant. They may as well be called the Los Angeles Basketball Team, written out in their fancy curlicue script.

You could say the same about the Lakers' logo, which is the exact same - team name in fancy script over basketball in motion.

You're right, but I forgive the Lakers for that transgression. The name Lakers has always been ridiculous for L.A., but they've made it iconic to the point that "Lakers" -- in my mind -- no longer has anything to do with lakes. They've changed the meaning of the word.

Can we say the same about the Clippers? You could, but I'm not sure what sort of imagery comes with futility. So give'em a ship.

Second teams all around still have timeless looks: note the Angels, Islanders, A's, Mets, White Sox, and Jets. The Clippers are fine with what they have. They just need a few tweaks here and there.

But do any of those 2nd teams take a back seat to the extent the Clippers do? Some of those technically even have their own city to distinguish their base. I would argue that the Clippers are unique in their lack of market share in their city.

I think the Clippers need to refine their script and then use that on the jersey AND in their logo. Their current logo is just too similar to the Lakers (serif typeface with ball, etc.). Stop being Lakers-lite.

ClipsIdea.png

That actually works quite well, IMO. We forget that the wordmarks on the uniforms and logo have been mismatched for about 22 years.

Second teams all around still have timeless looks: note the Angels, Islanders, A's, Mets, White Sox, and Jets. The Clippers are fine with what they have. They just need a few tweaks here and there.

But do any of those 2nd teams take a back seat to the extent the Clippers do? Some of those technically even have their own city to distinguish their base. I would argue that the Clippers are unique in their lack of market share in their city.

So? By giving them a goofy small-market identity, you're consigning them to small-market existence. Treat them like a team in the #2 city in hopes that eventually they'll maximize that potential. I really don't think they need to make any significant departures, sartorially speaking.

primary.jpg

This would be a perfectly acceptable primary logo for a Los Angeles team that didn't suck every year. This argument is a study in how success absolves idiosyncrasy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

primary.jpg

This would be a perfectly acceptable primary logo for a Los Angeles team that didn't suck every year. This argument is a study in how success absolves idiosyncrasy.

I honestly do think they'll go with just the wordmark or something like the Baltimore Orioles did last year. Keep in mind, the Clippers logo has NEVER been at center court EVER from what I remember. Their court in the LA Arena had the primary logo in place of where arena names go on the court, but they changed the design in 97/98 and it's been the Clippers wordmark ever since.

bSLCtu2.png

I think the Clippers need to refine their script and then use that on the jersey AND in their logo. Their current logo is just too similar to the Lakers (serif typeface with ball, etc.). Stop being Lakers-lite.

ClipsIdea.png

Wow, that's really, really good. I'd actually be quite thrilled if they came out with something like this. I mean, the speeding ball primary is the only thing I ever have known them having, and this wouldn't differentiate too much while still giving a well needed update and spacing itself from their showboat roomates - I mean the Lakers. This would look really good.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I'd like the Clips to keep the script and colours. Everything else can change. For most of their history, whether in Buffalo, San Diego or LA the Clips have had red & blue in the unis and it's about the most distinctive thing about the team.

Clips colour timeline:

BUFFALO:

1970-71: Red, Blue, Gold

1971-73: Black, Orange, White

1974-78: Dark Blue, Light Blue, White

SAN DIEGO:

1978-82: Light Blue, Burnt Orange, White

1982-84: Red, White, Blue

LA:

1984-Present: Red, White, Blue

So they've had those colours for 29 years out of the 40 the team's existed. Personally, I'd like to see them return to the '78-82 unis (with the nautical flags on the shorts), with current colours and script ("Los Angeles" on the roads).

Technically from the 1974-1975 through 1977-1978 seasons, the Braves' colors were as follows:

BuffaloBraves_FRC_1978_SOL_SRGB.png

Well, I was going for uniform colours only... But you're right, the unis were light blue, white and black from 74-78. I should have caught that, considering my M&N McAdoo jersey was right next me...

ClipsIdea.png

I like it. You've fixed the ball, which has inexplicably had an extra line for as long as it's been in use, and the motion lines look so much better. The only thing I would do would be to take the line above Los Angeles and extend it all the way to edge of the ball. I don't like how it ends at that midline.

PvO6ZWJ.png

ClipsIdea.png

You're onto something there.

My biggest beef w/ the Clippers identity isn't its similarity to the Lakers, but the fact it that lacks any sort of imagery in relation to team's name. They don't need to shoehorn a sailboat into the logo, but it would be nice if the logo didn't make the name seem irrelevant. They may as well be called the Los Angeles Basketball Team, written out in their fancy curlicue script.

This isn't the right solution by any means but just wanted to show concept of adding a wavy water element to the logo and removing the speed lines that make it Lakeresque.

clipperswave.jpg

Man, the tweaks to the Clippers' logo in this thread have been outstanding! Being a Clipper fan (and a local), though, I can only imagine that the whole redesign is going to somehow go awry. It's hard to be a Clipper fan when they have an owner like Donald Sterling. He has this innate ability to make every decision--even those that look like smart ones, on the surface--lead to disaster.

The problem with the current logo (other than the fact that it's dreadfully boring) is the fact that it has always and forever will be associated with a dreadful, cursed basketball team. That logo will always be associated with a pathetic, sad franchise.

They have to scrap colors and totally change the logo in order to become relevant again. Nobody in their right mind in LA could wear Clippers duds and be considered "cool". Logos are so much more than merchandising, it's a team identity. Their identity needs to be cool, which means the current design really has to go.

timmy.png

They have to scrap colors and totally change the logo in order to become relevant again. Nobody in their right mind in LA could wear Clippers duds and be considered "cool".

That's funny, because Lakers fans thought it was cool to wear Clippers duds in '06 when we went farther than them in the playoffs. :P

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

That's funny, because Lakers fans thought it was cool to wear Clippers duds in '06 when we went farther than them in the playoffs. :P

that's just bandwagon LA fans. The same Dodger fans that were "lifelong Angels fans" when they won the world series... Don't get me wrong, winning sells product, but that team is such a disaster every year (I'm a Kings fan and I pity the Clippers franchise - that says a lot!)

timmy.png

I am loving the simple redesigns as well. I was going to suggest that Conrad lose the speed lines as well, and maybe make the right side of the basketball into some sort of sail instead.

But I really like what hawk did with the waves. The 2 p's almost look like sails on the water now.

Archived