New Uniforms/Logo for the Clippers?

Lights Out

Best Concepts I have seen for the Clippers ever done was done by a poster "Against All Odds" or AAO I believe. He did it a couple of years ago and I would love a repost if he still posts on this board. Also if you've seen his Thunder logo, you'll more than likely agree that it is the logo OKC should be using......

AAO fake account spotted.

lol...

i dont think Ian ever did a Clips concept, or at least he's not proud of it, cuz its not in his "Photobucket portfolio" where all his other significant sports design is...maybe you're thinking of someone else Droost.

OT: I'm in the camp of a major logo change needed and minor uniform changes to go along with it. Those wordmarks are things of beauty and need a nicely designed primary and secondary logos to go with it...

Does anyone have AAO's website? If you are trying to imply that I am pawning myself off as a fake AAO, it is clearly not the case. Just stating that some of his concepts are the best I've seen......

He did do a Clippers concept. I remember he added "sand" to the color scheme -- or at least I think he did. It was about as mediocre as the rest of his work.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for image's sake, AAO's Clips primary logo:

ClippersLogoEdit.gif

yep, quite D-League indeed.

I haven't seen that in years but I do agree the font does make it quite D-league'esque. Change the font to a more traditional script, I think it would be pretty legit....

This is the correct answer. If the Cavs win the NBA title, then the title of longest-suffering sports city (with 3 or more teams) goes from Cleveland to Minneapolis/St. Paul.

So those two World Series in 1987 and 1991 don't count, then?

I ran the numbers, because I have absolutely nothing better to do.

As it turns out, Minneapolis/St. Paul DOES have the longest championship drought (besides Cleveland, of course) of any city with 3 or more teams. Washington is a close third, with the Redskins having won Super Bowl XXVI in January 1992, coincidentally enough in Minneapolis.

I don't have any hard evidence to back this up, but I'd be willing to bet that MSP has the fewest championships in either the pros or the major college sports of any large city in the last 30 years. We have the Twins (1987, 1991) and the University of Minnesota hockey team (2002, 2003). I'll sit back and wait for all the obvious ones I missed to come rolling in.

This is the correct answer. If the Cavs win the NBA title, then the title of longest-suffering sports city (with 3 or more teams) goes from Cleveland to Minneapolis/St. Paul.

As it turns out, Minneapolis/St. Paul DOES have the longest championship drought (besides Cleveland, of course) of any city with 3 or more teams. Washington is a close third, with the Redskins having won Super Bowl XXVI in January 1992, coincidentally enough in Minneapolis.

I don't have any hard evidence to back this up, but I'd be willing to bet that MSP has the fewest championships in either the pros or the major college sports of any large city in the last 30 years. We have the Twins (1987, 1991) and the University of Minnesota hockey team (2002, 2003). I'll sit back and wait for all the obvious ones I missed to come rolling in.

How about Phoenix? The D-Backs won in 2001, but that's it.

I hereby rescind my "bet," and it only took what, two minutes? :D

The D-Backs might have last won in 2001, but the city of Cleveland hasn't had a major title since 1964, San Diego hasn't had a title since 1963 and the last major pro sports club in Minnesota to win was the '91 World Series.

for image's sake, AAO's Clips primary logo:

ClippersLogoEdit.gif

yep, quite D-League indeed.

I haven't seen that in years but I do agree the font does make it quite D-league'esque. Change the font to a more traditional script, I think it would be pretty legit....

The fonts were always the problem that I had with his designs. Not that they weren't good, but he'd take a good idea, execute it fairly well in the logo, and then give it a cheesy dumb looking font that would bloat the rest of his concept. As for this logo, I remember really liking some of his secondary logos that went with it far better than the actual boat logo. He'd have to update the colors on this thing because in today's NBA another navy blue/light blue team would not fly.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I hereby rescind my "bet," and it only took what, two minutes? :D

But Phoenix hasn't been "big league" for all that long. The Suns have been around for a while, but the Cardinals, D-Backs, and Coyotes are relatively young (and yes, I'm just old enough to remember Neil Lomax and the St. Louis Cardinals, so I can call the Timm Rosenbach-lead Phoenix Cardinals young).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I would be very interested in hearing how you became Clippers fans. Are the Clippers really your #1 NBA team?

Yes, they are. I've always loathed the Lakers, not for their success but for their arrogance in success. Case in point: all the in-fighting that ruined the Lakers for a while after their three-peat and caused the loss to the Pistons in the Finals.

Personally, I've always been a fan of teams with heart, that fight on through the bad times and through the good... that's why I like the Clippers.

Interesting. Anyone who hates the Lakers gets props from me. Are you from LA? Sounds like the appeal is mostly an underdog thing - I would bet that's a frequent reason for Clipper fandom.

Let's put the Suffering Olympics on hold for a few minutes.

There are some scattered unused Clippers logos from about 1995 or so, the ones with the black/teal/orange scheme, I think it was. Those were kind of intriguing, but Los Angeles is too big and important to putz around with cutesy modern logos and color schemes.

Inevitably being seen as LA's other team, I would consider the Clippers to be a niche market and not really "a large market" despite being in LA, since the Lakers will presumably always take the lion's share of the market. I would think "modern" or distinctive colors would be very appropriate for the Clippers.

Even though the current set is decent looking and has a lot of time on the books if not great tradition...red white and blue is a pretty generic color combo in the USA. There's a reason that even 76ers abandoned it for 10 years, despite basically being mandated by their team name to use red/white/blue. The Clipper's look is clean and decent, but just not memorable or unique - while the sky blue/burnt orange was pretty unique. I think a color change would be useful in establishing something memorable besides losing; and the blue/orange combo provides a precedent and an excuse to do it, even if red/white/blue has been established for a lot longer (so I don't think it would be weird like if the Rockets were to switch back to the green from San Diego, or the Hawks switch to blue...wait a minute...)

How about Cleveland (again)? If you want to count the Ohio State football championship in 2002 and the Columbus Crew's MLS Cup a few years back, fine, but it still sets the benchmark for recent sports futility.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Haha! What a find. That Clippers logo of mine is circa 2004 when I was all of 16. Matter of fact, that may have been my first vector logo ever. Idea was there, execution/render was poor. Agreed, its awful. And this was right about when the Jazz and Grizzlies both hopped on the navy/carolina color scheme.

Also, I don't get the love for their script. It wouldn't be too bad if it was a legit script, but it's more like a patch - I HATE how the "C" is totally filled in by the background color of the patch. I'd actually prefer it if it was more of a baseball style, even if it had a tail or something.

I hate this, too. The letters themselves are decent. Not great, but nice enough. The 'patch effect' is terrible. If it just had a standard outline, it would be fine.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

They need something - new logo, new colors, new players. They stink!

I'd like to see a new color scheme,they need a whole new set up.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived