North Dakota retiring "Fighting Sioux" nickname

Top Shelf

MAYVILLE, N.D. ? In the end, the decision came with a shrug and a sigh.

The Fighting Sioux nickname and logo, cherished symbols of UND athletic teams for nearly 80 years, must be consigned to history, the State Board of Higher Education ruled here Thursday.

The board directed Chancellor Bill Goetz to immediately advise UND President Robert Kelley by letter that the university should begin its transition away from the logo and nickname.

Kelley, who was at the meeting, said afterward that he plans to call the president of the Summit League Friday ?and say that the board finally acted,? clearing the way for UND?s application for league membership.

UND officials called a news conference for Friday morning and posted on its Web site an initial piece of the planned transition: The university athletic teams will continue to be called the Sioux through the 2010-2011 school year while the school considers alternatives.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/157079/

Well, we all know what this means. New name, logo, and colors! Let the speculation begin!

IeHVybT.png

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MAYVILLE, N.D. ? In the end, the decision came with a shrug and a sigh.

The Fighting Sioux nickname and logo, cherished symbols of UND athletic teams for nearly 80 years, must be consigned to history, the State Board of Higher Education ruled here Thursday.

The board directed Chancellor Bill Goetz to immediately advise UND President Robert Kelley by letter that the university should begin its transition away from the logo and nickname.

Kelley, who was at the meeting, said afterward that he plans to call the president of the Summit League Friday ?and say that the board finally acted,? clearing the way for UND?s application for league membership.

UND officials called a news conference for Friday morning and posted on its Web site an initial piece of the planned transition: The university athletic teams will continue to be called the Sioux through the 2010-2011 school year while the school considers alternatives.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/157079/

Well, we all know what this means. New name, logo, and colors! Let the speculation begin!

Colors won't change, guarantee it.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Man, thats a real shame. I hate all of this politically correct crap that goes on in sports. I'm half hispanic and half Native American, so youd think i'd be "offended" by names like "Amigos" on the hispanic side and names referring to tribes on the Native American side. But i'm honestly not, never has any of those names bothered me (with the exception of Redskins, but thats not at all the case here). Heck, the Cleveland Indians logo doesnt even bother me. I just think that it goes waaay too far to abolish nicknames like this. Just because some find it offensive doesnt mean the majority does. And whereas Sioux has so much tradition in North Dakota, it's honestly just a real shame that it comes to this.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Man, thats a real shame. I hate all of this politically correct crap that goes on in sports. I'm half hispanic and half Native American, so youd think i'd be "offended" by names like "Amigos" on the hispanic side and names referring to tribes on the Native American side. But i'm honestly not, never has any of those names bothered me (with the exception of Redskins, but thats not at all the case here). Heck, the Cleveland Indians logo doesnt even bother me. I just think that it goes waaay too far to abolish nicknames like this. Just because some find it offensive doesnt mean the majority does. And whereas Sioux has so much tradition in North Dakota, it's honestly just a real shame that it comes to this.

Said very well, sir.

It's a crying, bleeping shame.

And I'm a fellow American with Osage, Choctaw and Cherokee ancestry. I'm sick and tired of this P.C. Bullcrap that brings NOTHING positive and only tears down others.

I loved the Fighting Sioux. As a graduate of UND, I'm proud of the name Fighting Sioux and treated it with the respect it deserved. I didn't find it offensive. But why would I? I'm a white male of Scandinavian heritage. Who am I to tell members of the Lakota/Nakota/Dakota Nation how to feel about something representing their cultural background? I can't understand why they aren't proud of the name, but that comes down to cultural differences that I'm not about to disparage. So while I'm disappointed by this decision, I choose to respect those who support it and so should you.

I loved the Fighting Sioux. As a graduate of UND, I'm proud of the name Fighting Sioux and treated it with the respect it deserved. I didn't find it offensive. But why would I? I'm a white male of Scandinavian heritage. Who am I to tell members of the Lakota/Nakota/Dakota Nation how to feel about something representing their cultural background? I can't understand why they aren't proud of the name, but that comes down to cultural differences that I'm not about to disparage. So while I'm disappointed by this decision, I choose to respect those who support it and so should you.

I never said anything about not respecting those who support it, I'm only stating my opinion on the matter as someone with Native American heritage here on this board. I realize others are offended and while I disagree with them, I realize they have thier reasons and will not judge them for that. I just hate how much of an issue it's become. It seems nowadays that any identity that features so much as a feather in it gets blasted for PC. I honestly find the PC more offensive than the identities themselves - it's almost like the sports world will refuse to celebrate Native American heritage, and THAT is offensive to me.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Their rink being named for a Nazi offends me more than their team being named for a tribe.

+1.

The fact that the family trust holds the university as bey for that facility is one thing, but the school took the money; blood money is in their hands. And while he owned it, the Imperial Palace only good to walk in and get a $1 beer and walk back out onto The Strip.

If the Sioux tribe didn't have a problem with the nickname, then I don't see why anyone else should have a problem. Here's hoping they replacement would be so bad that the board would want to return to the Fighting Sioux.

I saw, I came, I left.

If the Sioux tribe didn't have a problem with the nickname, then I don't see why anyone else should have a problem.

But the tribe did, or at least was unwilling to grant the University their approval. That's why they're chosing a new nickname.

I think each native American situation needs to be handled on its own merits. If the namesakes are okay with the name and willing to grant a license (Seminoles) then no one should have a problem with the team using it. But when the namesakes decline to give such permission, why the heck shouldn't we respect and honor their decision?

This isn't about "PC," it's about intellectual property. And that's something everyone on this board should be particularly respectful of.

Besides, the tribe still may grant such a license. Seems as though the University has bought themselves enough time for that to either happen or not.

If the Sioux tribe didn't have a problem with the nickname, then I don't see why anyone else should have a problem.

But the tribe did, or at least was unwilling to grant the University their approval. That's why they're chosing a new nickname.

I think each native American situation needs to be handled on its own merits. If the namesakes are okay with the name and willing to grant a license (Seminoles) then no one should have a problem with the team using it. But when the namesakes decline to give such permission, why the heck shouldn't we respect and honor their decision?

This isn't about "PC," it's about intellectual property. And that's something everyone on this board should be particularly respectful of.

Besides, the tribe still may grant such a license. Seems as though the University has bought themselves enough time for that to either happen or not.

Ok, very well, then. I wasn't too aware of the situation. Now, at least I can see why they reached the decision that they did.

I saw, I came, I left.

If the Sioux tribe didn't have a problem with the nickname, then I don't see why anyone else should have a problem. Here's hoping they replacement would be so bad that the board would want to return to the Fighting Sioux.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, your University of North Dakota Marquette Gold!"

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This really is a kick in the nads. I'm born and raised in Houston and am fanatical about sports, except hockey. It's just not in my DNA. I respect the sport, but I am just not familiar with the rules, etc.. Okay, that said, my neighbors went to UND and I have taken an annual hockey trip with them to Grand Forks for 5 consecutive years. The Sioux have become my adopted hockey program to follow. I've followed this story for years and the folks at UND didn't seem terribly afraid of losing their name as recent as this past February.

Fighting Sue --- A vicious, bloodthirsty Susanne Lucci logo is required.

Fighting Zoo --- Why pick one animal mascot when you could have hundreds?

Fighting Snus --- Packets of tobacco for your gum, completely underused logo potential.

Fighting Stew --- you can dodge the carrots and the potatoes, but the beef is gonna get ya.

Fighting Suet --- Ok, now I might be going too far.

Fighting Soosaphones --- Yup, I have gone too far.

I'm offended by the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Can I just say to hell with tradition and have them change their nickname?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

For some reason, I'm imagining 'Baltimore CFL Colts'-like opposition to the name change.

They should just call themselves the 'University of North Dakota Team', and leave a nice big pause between 'Dakota' and 'Team'.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Fighting Sue --- A vicious, bloodthirsty Susanne Lucci logo is required.

Fighting Zoo --- Why pick one animal mascot when you could have hundreds?

Fighting Snus --- Packets of tobacco for your gum, completely underused logo potential.

Fighting Stew --- you can dodge the carrots and the potatoes, but the beef is gonna get ya.

Fighting Suet --- Ok, now I might be going too far.

Fighting Soosaphones --- Yup, I have gone too far.

Roffle!

philly.png

Archived