The best Vancouver uniform Generation

kiwi_canadian

With the Stanley Cup playoffs set to begin, and watching Sedin net 4 points against the Flames, it got me thinking about the Canucks and their history in fashion. The Canucks have had more identity changes then any club in the NHL. So I was wondering what people's opinions on here are of the Canucks many identities? Which one do you believe is the best and worst and why?

- First generation blue, green and white (1970-78)

- Orange, yellow and black (1978-89)

- Red, yellow and black (1989-97)

- Navy, burgundy, gray and light blue (1997-2007)

- Second generation blue, green and white (2007-present)

There were two Cup runs with black and yellow, but a few division titles now with the green and blue.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not really fond of any.

I'd pick orange, yellow, black, but I don't like the skate logo. So I'll go with the current. I don't like the uniform, but that can be improved within the identity.

The bottom line is that Vancouver needs to pick an identity and stick with it.

There are a few other teams with too many identities for which this question could be asked. (gimme late 1980s brown/orange Padres, for example)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I just don't understand how a team like the 'Nucks happens. How does a pro team change colors / logo so often ? Flying sktate in black yellow and red (orange?) is best look IMO. Stick in rink is just... well, a stick in rink. /drunk post

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I just don't understand how a team like the 'Nucks happens. How does a pro team change colors / logo so often ? Flying skate in black yellow and red (orange?) is best look IMO. Stick in rink is just... well, a stick in rink. /drunk post

You are not drunk (yet) and neither am I. The Royal/Green them I do not remember, but I do remember seeing them lose to the Isles on cable and thought the V jersey was so bad a$$. I even like the Orca 1.0 too.

Flying skate is my favorite by far. It's a little goofy and probably wouldn't fly today, though they should use it as a throwback every once in a while.

Flying skate more goofy than the Orca? For real?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Flying skate is my favorite by far. It's a little goofy and probably wouldn't fly today, though they should use it as a throwback every once in a while.

I am a "V" guy so the flying skate I get. I also can "accept" the moving to orca v1.o and colors. When you are not in the finals much, you have to change your look to stay relevant; like when I called this team the most irrelevant team in North America from a "Sports In General" thread.

I've always really liked the Orca logo, because it reflects the Haida culture of the Pacific Northwest. (You can also see this inspiration in the Seahawks and Thunderbirds logo.) I also like their current uniform design and colors.

I don't always feel that modern is better, but for the Canucks, I do. What they have now is really good.

The Canucks terrible uniform history can mostly be blamed on Arthur Griffiths. He is responsible for hiring the psychologist that came up with the yellow V uniforms and he is the one that put the Orca logo in motion after a fan sent in (horrific looking) unsolicited work.

FTR he's also the person responsible for trading Cam Neely according to Bobby Clarke who almost had a deal in place for the forward.

DEATH TO REEBOK

I am a "V" guy so the flying skate I get. I also can "accept" the moving to orca v1.o and colors. When you are not in the finals much, you have to change your look to stay relevant; like when I called this team the most irrelevant team in North America from a "Sports In General" thread.

No way are the Canucks are more irrelevant then the Panthers. At least people in Vancouver are aware of the 'Nucks' existence.

Anyway I like the current look best. It's not perfect, but it's a few tweaks here and there from being as good as the Canucks will ever look.

- Orange, yellow and black (1978-89)

Wow, I never even noticed. Thought they were always black, yellow, and red back then.

That's probably because they officially called the colors Black, Yellow and RED....even though the actual color used was closer to Orange.

I'm in my mid 20's and I've seen 3 changes in identity from the Canucks and in all 3, none of them stick out as being better then the other. I guess I'm leaning towards the 2nd generation blue, green and white, but I don't like the idea of the whale. I really think they should have brought back Johnny Canuck on the front instead of the whale. It would have gone back to the old WHL days with the Canucks and I think would have looked a lot better.

burepavelVAN016.jpg

Pure Awesome.

This. Possibly because it was their look as I was growing up, but it was a good look--and unique from anyone else in sports. I always thought I remembered that era with brown instead of black, but some research shows I'm mistaken. My wish is that they'd try a Johnny Canuck identity in these colors.

Archived