2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

NEW.ERA

I believe the US has a very feasible chance to make the semis. It's certainly not going to be easy by any stretch; nothing in the World Cup really is.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't make any picks in the original pick 'em thread, and by no means am I a soccer expert, but I'll go ahead and pick the round of 16 based on what little of this tournament I've seen thus far and my own gut instinct. Y'all can come back and destroy me and these picks later...

Uruguay vs. South Korea -> Uruguay

United States vs. Ghana -> USA (unless the Yanks get another phantom foul in the box, giving the Black Stars a PK chance)

Germany vs. England -> Germany

Argentina vs. Mexico -> Argentina (maybe a liiillll' bit biased :P )

Netherlands vs. Slovakia -> Slovakia--had to get an upset in here somewhere

Brazil vs. Chile -> Brazil

Paraguay vs. Japan -> Paraguay

Spain vs. Portugal -> Portugal, by 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Brazil Portugal was ohh so boring. - brazil is not winning this world cup.

If that happens, all the blame will go to Dunga for not putting in Ronaldinho and other players.

would you mind kindly telling me why he is not playing ? i have been wondering where he has been and i obviously missed the story .

glossysig5.png

Brazil Portugal was ohh so boring. - brazil is not winning this world cup.

If that happens, all the blame will go to Dunga for not putting in Ronaldinho and other players.

would you mind kindly telling me why he is not playing ? i have been wondering where he has been and i obviously missed the story .

Simple, Dunga didnt put him in his roster, other than that I dont know *scratching my head*

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

My Round of 16 perdictions:

United States vs. Ghana

Thats UnAmerican :P.

That could be a tricky game for the US though.

I'm picking with my head on this one, not my heart.

To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with the USA squeaking by in group play. Plus, Ghana beat the USA in their last go around. So what makes 2010 any different than '06? (But as an American, I hope I'm wrong. :D)

1) Italy won the World Cup in 2006, France were runners-up & they got bounced out in the first round of 2010. So what happened in 2006 means little when it comes to what's going to happen tomorrow, other than a little bit of a revenge factor going in.

2) If winning the group is squeaking by, I'm sure the teams I've mentioned above would've LOVED to have squeaked by this year. It doesn't matter HOW you get into the knockout rounds, just matters that you get in.

It's definitely going to be a tricky game. Ghana is a good team, but the Black Stars has yet to score during the run of play. Both of their goals have come on penalties, and pretty stupid penalties at that. Their scoring is sub-par, they haven't scored more than one goal in a match since November. The USMNT has at least proven that they can score. Say what you want about Robert Green or the fact that it took them 91 minutes to score on Algeria, the US has proven that they can put the ball in the net during the run of play. Just can't let Ghana try to bunker the entire game away, which would mean defeat for the US if that occurs.

Plus there's the pressure factor. Yeah, the US are gonna be disappointed if they don't make it to the quarterfinals, but Ghana's got the hopes of an entire continent resting on their shoulders now. THE ENTIRE CONTINENT. The rest of the African teams have wilted under that pressure, Ghana could very well be the next.

But yeah, predictions:

Uruguay vs. South Korea -> Uruguay (I want South Korea to win...but Uruguay have looked pretty good. Uruguay can't fall asleep against Korea, though. They can score some pretty timely goals.)

United States vs. Ghana -> USA (Pretty much made my case up there.)

Germany vs. England -> Germany (They haven't looked nearly as good as they did in that 1st game against Australia, but at least they seem to be getting their swag back. Same with England, but Germany just seems to be the better team.)

Argentina vs. Mexico -> Argentina (Argentina's front 4 has proven that they can score buckets when they're really going for it. Probably going to be the case here, unless Argentina's back 4 falls asleep. Mexico have looked good, but not that good.)

Netherlands vs. Slovakia -> Netherlands (Though I will say this: If anybody is prime for an upset, it's Oranje. They haven't really been tested yet, it's basically following the same script as Euro 08, and we all know how that turned out.)

Brazil vs. Chile -> Brazil (Don't expect Brazil to be the ones to win with flash. Dunga's basically got this team looking like a mirror image of himself, which means that they're going to win, but not win with the style that made Brazil "everybody's 2nd favorite team.)

Paraguay vs. Japan -> Japan (Well, not all of the South American teams are going to dominate. One is going to slip up. I think with Japan playing some good ball at this point, they're going to be the ones that could make Paraguay fall.)

Spain vs. Portugal -> Spain (Probably in PK. Spain didn't necessarily look good in their 2-1 win over Chile...but that's what good teams do: Win when they aren't at their best. I think they'll come ready to play, and hopefully ward off the threat of the Brilliant Football Player/Diver Ronaldo.)

United States vs. Ghana

To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with the USA squeaking by in group play. Plus, Ghana beat the USA in their last go around. So what makes 2010 any different than '06? (But as an American, I hope I'm wrong. :D)

1) Italy won the World Cup in 2006, France were runners-up & they got bounced out in the first round of 2010. So what happened in 2006 means little when it comes to what's going to happen tomorrow, other than a little bit of a revenge factor going in.

France and Italy are completely different teams now than they were in 2006. France no longer has the great Zidane, and were so bad, they only got into the dance by way of cheating. And Italy, they went with their B-team in hopes to repeat (Not sure what the thought process was there). I'm pretty sure the U.S. and Ghana still somewhat resemble the same teams who took eachother on in Germany four years ago.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a close match, as it was last time. But in no way is the United States a LOCK to advance to the semifinals. We all know what happens everytime the USA is 'supposed' to win....

6uXNWAo.png

United States vs. Ghana

France and Italy are completely different teams now than they were in 2006. France no longer has the great Zidane, and were so bad, they only got into the dance by way of cheating. And Italy, they went with their B-team in hopes to repeat (Not sure what the thought process was there). I'm pretty sure the U.S. and Ghana still somewhat resemble the the same teams who took eachother on in Germany four years ago.

Off the top of my head, the only thing that the 2010 team has in common with the 2006 team is Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Oneywu, Cherundolo & Bocanegra. Other than that, new head coach, new starting goalkeeper, new forwards, mostly new defense, and mostly new midfield. Some of the starters then are now subs or didn't even make the team, & the subs then are pretty much gone. Ghana has the same defense and same keeper. That's it. Not enough to say that these are the same 4 teams from 4 years ago. If it was, we'd be complaining about how old this year's team was. :P

United States vs. Ghana

France and Italy are completely different teams now than they were in 2006. France no longer has the great Zidane, and were so bad, they only got into the dance by way of cheating. And Italy, they went with their B-team in hopes to repeat (Not sure what the thought process was there). I'm pretty sure the U.S. and Ghana still somewhat resemble the the same teams who took eachother on in Germany four years ago.

Off the top of my head, the only thing that the 2010 team has in common with the 2006 team is Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Oneywu, Cherundolo & Bocanegra. Other than that, new head coach, new starting goalkeeper, new forwards, mostly new defense, and mostly new midfield. Some of the starters then are now subs or didn't even make the team, & the subs then are pretty much gone. Ghana has the same defense and same keeper. That's it. Not enough to say that these are the same 4 teams from 4 years ago. If it was, we'd be complaining about how old this year's team was. :P

A lot of Italians are doing that now. :D

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

United States vs. Ghana

France and Italy are completely different teams now than they were in 2006. France no longer has the great Zidane, and were so bad, they only got into the dance by way of cheating. And Italy, they went with their B-team in hopes to repeat (Not sure what the thought process was there). I'm pretty sure the U.S. and Ghana still somewhat resemble the same teams who took eachother on in Germany four years ago.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a close match, as it was last time. But in no way is the United States a LOCK to advance to the semifinals. We all know what happens everytime the USA is 'supposed' to win....

Well, the top scorer for the USA in qualifying and one of the top keepers in England didn't play in 06. And Ghana won on a PK back then that wasn't even a foul. I wouldn't be surprised if the US loses to Ghana tomorrow, but it's going to be a little different than it was in 2006.

Here are my picks for the Round of 16

Uruguay vs. South Korea

United States vs. Ghana

Germany vs. England

Argentina vs. Mexico

Netherlands vs. Slovakia

Brazil vs. Chile

Paraguay vs. Japan

Spain vs. Portugal

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

heres how i think its gonna play out

Uruguay v. South Korea

The koreans were lucky to make it this far, and their one win came against a weak greek team which really wasnt anything special. Uruguay on the other hand have looked good since their snoozefest against france on opening day. Forlan and Suarez should eventual take advantage of a korean mistake and win this one. Uruguay 2-0

USA v. Ghana

well the more i think about this game the more i get scared. firstly despite the USA having the best travelled supporters for this world cup, its gonna feel like "us against the world" tomorrow, with ghana being the lone african representative left every african, and every non-american for that reason will be pulling for the blackstars.

secondly, it really felt like we celebrated our world cup moment against algeria. if the USA come out tomorrow and start slowly, like they always do, then in staying with typical USA fashion we'll fall behind early and have to dig ourselves out of a hole for the rest of the game - ala england and slovenia games.

that said - USA 2-1 :D

Holland v. Slovakia

No contest, a healthy Robben makes this all too easy to call Holland 3-0

Brazil v. Chile

Brazil really p***** me off today (as did Portugal), I have yet to be impressed by the Brazil team so far in this years world cup (which is unfair because their expectations are probably unreachable). but in addition to this, their performance thus fair has been all too similar to 2006 when they exited early. It seems as if they have been playing in 2nd gear so far and are waiting to turn it up now when the real games begin. well sad news is, is that teams struggle to do this and Chile is that good of a side which can pull off the upset. The familiarity between these 2 teams also helps in Chile's favour i think.

I do think that the suspensions suffered to Chile from tonights game with Spain could hurt them. Chile 3-2 a.e.t.

Argentina v. Mexico

Argentina in my opinion has been the best team so far in this competition. Mardonna hasnt really had to do much in terms of managing his team so lucky for them the Argentinian squad hasn't suffered from his madness.

Mexico beat a poor france team as we know, but we beaten easily by Uruguay and could only muster a draw v. the host nation.

Messi finally comes alive - Argentina 3-1

Germany v. England

ohhh the excitement. Lets make one thing clear here, England is not as good as everyone thinks and Germany is definitely the better side. The only way i can see England winning the game is if the squad comes out a rejuvenated group and step their game up that extra notch with the germans being the opposition. They wont. Germany 2-0

Paraguay v. Japan

Look for empty seats. Japan were extremely good in a game where all they had to do was force a draw. Honda continues to make a name for himself. Japan 2-1

Spain v. Portugal

11 stars > 1 star. Spain 3-1

and just for good measure heres how i forecast the rest.

Uruguay > USA

Holland > Chile

Argentina > Germany

Spain > Japan

Holland > Uruguay

Argentina > Spain

Argentina > Holland.

My predictions (Again not following any of my previous ones)

Uruguay v South Korea

Uruguay probably was the most impressive South American team not named Argentina, Diego Forlan is living up to his potential and he's not alone out on the pitch either. South Korea one the other hand wasn't as impressive as the other asian nation still alive. So with that said I'll take Uruguay to move on to the Quarterfinals.

Uruguay 2-0 South Korea

USA v Ghana

These two met in 2006 but this is a totally different Ghanaian squad they are the youngest squad in South Africa and can play well when they want to but the one thing they lack is scoring. The Americans probably been the luckiest team in the World Cup so far, Robert Green f*uk up, Battling back against Slovenia only to get screwed out of the game winner, cutting it extremely close to being on a plane going across the Atlantic back home.

US should win but no one should count out Africa's last great hope.

USA 1-1 Ghana: USA win on Penalties

Netherlands v Slovakia

Outside of their game against Italy; Slovakia looked really unimpressive I don't think they stand a chance but nobody gave them a chance to make out of the group stage in the first place. The Dutch look to be finally healthy as a 20 minute effort from Arjen Robben was quite impressive, even if he coming off the bench the Dutch should cruise but it won't be as easy as the experts think.

Netherlands 2-0 Slovakia

Brazil v Chile

The star power of Brazil make them the favorite to win the whole damn thing even if they don't look like World Beaters which I don't think they are this time around. Defensively they lack the consistency to be good for a full 90 minutes, Chile looked good but I don't think they looked perfect scoring is a problem and they will have to expose a Brazilian team who will have Kaka back.

Brazil 3-1 Chile

Argentina v Mexico

These two met in the Round of 16 back in Germany in 2006 and Mexico gave the Argentines all they could handle before a beauty by Maxi Rodriguez in Extra Time led to El Tri's downfall. Argentina have been by far the most impressive team through the Group Stage but the Knockout Stages are what make and break teams; Can Maradona make the right decisions to bring this nation their third World Cup. Lionel Messi has to stop hitting posts and start scoring and Mexico will not lay over and die just like that.

Argentina 1-0 Mexico A.E.T

Germany v England

This should be a Quarterfinal maybe even a Semi-Final but England underachieved and finished runners up in Group C. Germany looked really impressive against an underachieving Australian team, lost to Serbia and looked less then impressive against Ghana. England is the type of team that sure they start slow in the Group Stage but they possess the experience that can get them to the final if all the chips fall there way.

England 2-1 Germany A.E.T

Paraguay v Japan

Japan is just a straight up fun team to watch; I said you should watch out for Keisuke Honda and he's been one of the most impressive players throughout the group stage. Paraguay looked really good in the group stages and Santa Cruz looks like he's at the top of his game but Japan may be the team of destiny in this years World Cup. In the game of the Knockout stages.

Japan 3-2 Paraguay

Spain v Portugal

I echo what falcons007 said. Spain have the most complete team and Portugal rely on literally one guy to get it done. Le Roja look to be finally hitting their stride well Portugal didn't seem to motivated to win their group against a Brazilian squad that hasn't been at their best.

Spain 2-0 Portugal

Setting up these epic Quarterfinal games

Uruguay v USA

Netherlands v Brazil

Argentina v England

Japan v Spain

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

ARG/MEX: Messi knows that this team and setup is not Barca, so he does not need to make 50 yard runs with strikes. Heck, Milito is on the bench. Messi is there to set up others who will be open as the defense concentrates on him. MEX plays a good first 30 minutes and a solid last 20, but the middle is where they stink.

Plus, MEX has lost to ARG in the following tournaments:

2007 Under-20 Championships (Quarters)

2007 Copa America (semi-finals)

2006 World Cup (Round of 16)

2005 Confederations Cup

2004 Copa America

URU/KOR: South Korea doesn't seem to have the confidence which Japan does. After 70 minutes Korea will probably wilt since they have not completed a game.

GER/ENG: England has to try to win it in 90 minutes. They may also be better if Joe Cole gets in the game.

Interesting stats for Ghana at last 2 cups:

3-0-0 against Red White and Blue teams(Czech, USA, Serbia),

0-3-0 against teams with at least 3 cups(Brazil, Italy, Germany), and tie against the Socceroos

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

My predictions

South Korea to take out the Uruguayans, possibly on penalties.

Ghana to beat the USA, again a chance of penalties, but Africas last hope to roll on.

Argentina over Mexico, Argentinians just have too much firepower.

England over Germany, tough, tight game, but England will be fired up for this one, and Germany haven't been all that good since beating 10 Australians.

Netherlands over Slovakia. Again the Dutch just have too much class.

Brazil over Chile. Class telling again, though Chile might well put up a good show.

Japan over Paraguay. Another close game, I am taking the Japanese to just shade it.

Portugal over Spain. No idea why, just have a sense Portugal's star players are in better shape than Spain's.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived