C-Jay & C-Fish's NHL Redesign

CJworks

OK, heres an update to the jerseys. I think i got everything, but I may've missed something.

Home

Away

Alternate

Just realized that the shoulder logos on the alternate may not be the best for the alternate. Ill fix it.

You forgot the shoulder logos on the player for the away jerseys. But they all look good.

Actually, the shoulder logos are upside down on the player template.

Also, you may want to try another attempt at the sleeve numbers on the alternate.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#5 Carolina Hurricanes

Up Next: #6 Calgary Flames

hurricanes-1.png

My plan for the 'Canes was to drop their ugly scheme completely thus giving them more of a Carolina vibe; with carolina blue, navy with touches of pewter, gray, and tropical green in the logos. I dumped all of their current logos and set off with a fresh start, aiming for a powerful hurricane theme. One thing that really struck me was the way that the trees ripped in the wind, and that really complimented the wind gusts that top 150 mph. This was my idea for the primary crest: a group of trees being ripped by the wind inside a stylized circle; I used this crest on both the home and away uniforms. The current secondary logo that the 'Canes use right now had potential to me. I liked the idea behind it, but it has been said that two flags represent a hurricane warning. I took this into account and pumped out a new secondary crest: two hurricane flags in green ripping in the wind attactched to a hockey stick. I also have a shoulder patch, a CH monogram inside a stylized circle. For the uniforms, I used the typical argyle pattern used by UNC, and I sumblimated them in all three uniforms. For the home and away, I used swooshes that represent the wind torrents. I went a bit crazy with the third, as well.

Home

hurricanehome.png

Away

hurricaneaway.png

Third

hurricanethird.png

What do you think?

*long sigh* muted colors kill the entire set.

Argyle is hardly a strong pattern, even for Ivy League secret societies.

And why bother having the argyle as a sleeve stripe when it'd be better for sleeve numbers?

a REALLY interesting look for this team, and despite how very different it is, I like it. It fits the norm enough, not having crazy colors and an argyle stripe is still a stripe. I think the argyle on the white needs to be darker, just so it's more noticeable, or perhaps flank each side of it with a stripe. Really, be a little more bold with your designs within traditionalist methods...it's good stuff. The only running complaint I have is not enough color on the white jerseys and not enough white on the colored jerseys.

Really though, good stuff

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I actually like it. Talk about taking it away from the 'been there done that'...

Only suggestion I'd make is sleeve numbers on the home and road, baby blue shoulder stripes on the white jersey, and a thicker black outline on the road numbers, and a thicker white outline on the alternate numbers. Just to make them stand out more.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

There are some very interesting things going on with that Canes concept. I think the primary logo has the beginnings of a very strong piece. The scene looks nice, and framing it with a stylized hurricane-type shape is a good idea. However, there are two glaring problems. First, there aren't anything that even come close to resembling palm trees here in North Carolina. You could go with sand dunes or reed grass or something else, but palm trees don't fit. Secondly, that framing shape is almost, but not quite, shaped like a hurricane. It should convey a swirling form, with shapes pushing inward toward the center from the outside. Right now, it's just a circle with two identical shapes on the rim. I'd look at the Canes' current logo for reference.

The alternate logo is an interesting take on the Canes' flag logo, but there is a major problem. Those hurricane flags are--by definition--red and black. By making them green, you've changed the meaning. I don't know what that green flag represents, but a hurricane it isn't. I also think the stick would look better oriented the way it currently is. I get that you probably wanted to change the logo to make it more your own, but (again) change for change's sake isn't always good. It's stronger with the blade on top.

(And, for about the 1,000th time on this board, one single flag IS used to issue a hurricane watch. It is. I've seen it with my own two eyes. Two flags is for a warning. As per Wikipedia: "A hurricane watch (HWA) is issued for a specified area for which a hurricane or a hurricane-related hazard is a possible threat within 48 hours (was 36 hours prior to 2010 hurricane season). Maritime flags indicate this with a single square red flag with a black square in the middle.")

The uniforms simply don't work at all, and it's because of the argyle. What possible connection is there between a hurricane and an argyle pattern? Is it because of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's mens basketball team uses an Alexander Julian-designed argyle pattern on their uniforms? If so, that's a paper thin association. The Canes are located in Raleigh, not Chapel Hill. (They do share their red and black colors with Raleigh's NC State University, of course.) They have no association with UNC-CH. There's no connection between argyle and hurricanes that I can come up with. It just seems like a knee-jerk design decision: Well, they're in North Carolina, and UNC-Chapel Hill uses argyle, so it fits! Also, using light blue doesn't give it a 'Carolina' vibe. Maybe a UNC-CH vibe, but not the whole state, and certainly not Raleigh.

All that negative stuff aside, I think this has potential. Tweak the primary logo to fit the area and the team name. If you keep the dark blue, light blue, and replace the green with red, you'd be able to have a realistic flag logo; also that bright, intense red would bring some much needed contrast to this package. Lose the argyle on the uniforms, find a stronger typeface (without the weird two-toned numbers would be nice), and put some effort into a more carefully thought-out and designed (what's going on with that strange notch cut out of the thick edge of the uniform 'swoosh'?) uniform set, and this could be good.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I don't think Duke or NC State fans would be too happy about the whole argyle thing - I think it needs to go as it clashes with the whole "harsh winds and hurricanes" vibe. You should replace the argyle sleeve stripes with numbers and maybe do a sublimated wave pattern on the alternate.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Looks fantastic, best of the series. Definitely out there for a 'Canes concept. I think you should drop the gust of wind in the primary crest, it unnecessarily clutters it and I think the trees by themselves are strong enough. I love the secondary, but I think you should make the pole look a little more like a hockey stick, don't sharpen the top end of it make it more square. I think the tertiary is completely unnecessary and not really strong. I love the argyle, especially the third uniform.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I really like the logo, but obviously dgnmrwrw brought up some good points. I also agree with most that the home and road jerseys do not have enough colour in them. I like the argyle though. It's something different that hasn't really been seen in the NHL before.

I really like this a lot. Too bad it doesn't make sense.

1:// I'm loving the blowing palm trees logo. This is actually a good pictorial reference of a hurricane. I think it would be a lot better if you just made them in a circle. I agree with one of the previous guys above about the warning flags being green, it just doesn't make sense. I think there needs to be some red in this color scheme because it just doesn't look right.

2:// Please ditch the argyle pattern. It doesn't fit well with a team name called the Hurricanes. I'm thinking a more aggressive striping or go back to the Hurricane flags pattern which is awesome IMO.

Other than those things it looking good, keep at it.

The logos are great, even the colors aren't bad. But, what's killing this is the argyle striping patterns. I'd much rather see a return to the hurricane flags. Those are what is most unique about the Hurricanes current set and those I feel can't be replaced unless something extremely better comes to mind. And I agree with ditching the green. I suggest using a more muted red color to mesh with the Carolina Blue.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

OK I just had an idea:

Rotate the hurricane warning flags 45 degrees, and use them to make the argyle pattern. That says 'North Carolina' and 'Hurricanes', right? Just instead of making them all solid black/red, maybe have them alternate between solids and outlines?

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

OK I just had an idea:

Rotate the hurricane warning flags 45 degrees, and use them to make the argyle pattern. That says 'North Carolina' and 'Hurricanes', right? Just instead of making them all solid black/red, maybe have them alternate between solids and outlines?

Hah, that's actually what I'm working with for the update, nice call. I'll try and post it by the end of the week.

So this is just a little side project chickenfish13 and I are doing, as we will be taking on an NHL Redesign one team at a time, one team every Monday.

Starting to fail here guys.

It's actually really difficult to keep up with these concepts, especially when you've got other things todo believe it or not.

Archived