2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

It's obvious Harbaugh is not going to Michigan so maybe the Wolverines should try to go after TCU's Gary Patterson.

Not that anyone has asked me but, I think Gary Patterson should be Michigan's first choice to replace RR. Also, I bet Chris Petersen at Boise State would grab that Michigan job in a heartbeat if they offered it to him. We've seen what these guys can do with "small" football programs. Imagine if they had the resources and recruiting appeal that Michigan has. Boise and TCU are hardly slouches these days but let's be honest, there's a ceiling on how much those programs can grow.

Here's the thing, if Michigan blows this coaching change like they did the last one, that "appeal" window will close, and it will close quickly. Hell, it's half closed already. Rams80 is right, unless they turn it around and like right now, Michigan is headed to the same place Notre Dame occupies; program with a great history that has no relevance today. The first thing Michigan needs to do is forget this "Michigan man" nonsense. Once you get past Harbaugh, the "Michigan man" pool gets pretty shallow pretty quick. If I'm Michigan and my choices are Hoke or Miles vs. Patterson or Petersen, then I think I'm going to choose winning and relevance over Michigan lineage and go with a coach who's proven he can get it done with a whole lot less to work with. Honestly, if we took away Les Miles' SEC talent would he be anything more than some clown with really great luck?

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's obvious Harbaugh is not going to Michigan so maybe the Wolverines should try to go after TCU's Gary Patterson.

Here's the thing, if Michigan blows this coaching change like they did the last one, that "appeal" window will close, and it will close quickly. Hell, it's half closed already. Rams80 is right, unless they turn it around and like right now, Michigan is headed to the same place Notre Dame occupies; program with a great history that has no relevance today. The first thing Michigan needs to do is forget this "Michigan man" nonsense. Once you get past Harbaugh, the "Michigan man" pool gets pretty shallow pretty quick. If I'm Michigan and my choices are Hoke or Miles vs. Patterson or Petersen, then I think I'm going to choose winning and relevance over Michigan lineage and go with a coach who's proven he can get it done with a whole lot less to work with. Honestly, if we took away Les Miles' SEC talent would he be anything more than some clown with really great luck?

I had this conversation with a co-worker yesterday who is a Michigan alum. All he could say is that he would be more comfortable with a "Michigan-Man" coaching because they have more incentive to do well and understand "The Michigan Culture". My co-worker told me he'd rather have a "Michigan-Man" go 6-7 than an outsider go 9-3 because it will mean more with a "Michigan Man".

Oh brother!

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I'm on my iPod so I can't directly reply well, but I agree with you, infrared, about those who jump from small schools to big schools and how successful they can be. Not to speak homertoungue, but the prime example is Urban Meyer. He turned Utah's program around from BYU's little brother up north to national prominence. Without Urban Meyer, I highly doubt Utah would find itself joining the Pac-12 next year and never would have sniffed a BCS bowl. He took his talents and great coaching ability to Florida, and I need not remind you the success he had there.

As much as I don't want it to happen, Gary Patterson can be that guy, if not for Michigan, for somebody else. That guy's as good a coach as there is in the nation, and I think he has what it takes to turn a program around. Again, though, I'd much rather see him stay at TCU.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Not that anyone has asked me but, I think Gary Patterson should be Michigan's first choice to replace RR. Also, I bet Chris Petersen at Boise State would grab that Michigan job in a heartbeat if they offered it to him. We've seen what these guys can do with "small" football programs. Imagine if they had the resources and recruiting appeal that Michigan has. Boise and TCU are hardly slouches these days but let's be honest, there's a ceiling on how much those programs can grow.

I don't know, I'm starting to get on board with this Hoke thing. Mainly because of the LOL-fest that accompanies Michigan hiring a coach Indiana turned down last month. And the opportunity to actually relive part of the Bill Mallory era.

So yeah, hire Hoke dudes.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't know, I'm starting to get on board with this Hoke thing. Mainly because of the LOL-fest that accompanies Michigan hiring a coach Indiana turned down last month. And the opportunity to actually relive part of the Bill Mallory era.

So yeah, hire Hoke dudes.

You can count on it. Michigan is too self-important, especially after the RR disaster, to do the smart thing and go after Patterson or Petersen. Nope, they'll hire Hoke or Les Miles and join Notre Dame in the "hey, didn't you use to be somebody?" club.

BB52Big.jpg

Rich Rodriguez would have been a "Michigan Man" had not chased away the talent that was there when he first came in and immediately went 3-9. He was toast from that point on. It is kind of funny how that phrase has morphed. Going back to the origin Bill Frieder (who left for ASU) was actually a Michigan alum. The "Michigan Man" Steve Fisher was not.

What Michigan needs is a good coach who is smart enough and flexible enough to be able to run multiple systems and fit the system to his players. As I said while the defense was what finally killed Rich Rod, being completely tied to his offensive system and chasing away the senior talent that was there and trying to fit a square peg in a round hole in 2008 was his downfall.

Others are right Michigan at this point can't go through another "system" rebuild.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ryan Mallet leave Michigan because of Rich Rod's offense (I could never see him running the option)? No disrespect to Denard Robinson at all, but watching a guy like Mallet leave then lead the Hogs to the Sugar Bowl had to tear a hole in some Michigan fans out there. It'd piss me off if I were a Michigan fan, that's for sure.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ryan Mallet leave Michigan because of Rich Rod's offense (I could never see him running the option)? No disrespect to Denard Robinson at all, but watching a guy like Mallet leave then lead the Hogs to the Sugar Bowl had to tear a hole in some Michigan fans out there. It'd piss me off if I were a Michigan fan, that's for sure.

As a matter of fact, it did. Thanks for brining it up. :P

There was also Sam McGuffie (although that was more because he was homesick than anything RR had done), a couple O-lineman (one of which went to Ohio-freakin-State, raising a literal and metaphorical red flag about RR), QB Steven Threet, WR Toney Clemons, and some other smaller defections the year RR showed up.

The Pac-12 will have their title game on FOX Network. It will be the first game with the Big Ten game on in primetime.

Wow, that's going to be really exciting. To think, the Rose Bowl participants will likely be decided by championship games on the same day, and Fox will broadcast all of it next year. That's a big score for them. In my wildest dreams, I'm crossing my fingers that I'll have a reason to wear my Utah gear that day... :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

There is a chance that it could be three title games that day as C-USA is leaving ESPN for Fox Sports Net but will continue with CBS College. As part of the Fox Sports contract, their title game can be aired on FX, Fox Sports Net or FOX Network

Great, now there's two conference championships with more shots of the marching band than the game itself.

As for FOX and the BCS, they used their NFL crews rather than those they had for college football on cable and it was terrible. Outside of Thom Brennaman/Charles Davis who worked for BTN, the other three crews had no real investment in the teams playing. I can see the Pac-12 game finally using Barry Tompkins and Petros Papadakis and the Big Ten game using a crew from the BTN. The production with all the crown shots was talked about here for a long time in last year's thread, especially during the Fiesta Bowl.

So Andrew Luck is staying for his junior year, which is a smart move. It is always worthwhile to see a student-athlete value academics highly. I am positive he will better his potential draft position by playing well the next two years.

LvZYtbZ.png

Great. FOX sucks at doing college football games.

My favorite ever college football broadcast was the Boise State/Oklahoma game. It being a good game helped, but Fox's announcing team that night (I forget who) was really good.

I don't watch enough college football to have a more in-depth opinion than that, but given that most broadcasted NCAA games are ESPN or CBS, it's nice to see different graphics packages during bowl season.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Andrew Luck must be convinced that the NFL's going dark next season, because he's staying at Stanford.

I think it's a smart move. He is a student-athlete after all, and you never know, a move like this could improve his draft status.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived