2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

I'll concede the bowl argument, it was stupid of me to bring up.

Of course I realize Boise State has flaws. Punt and kick coverage could be better and I wish Petersen wouldn't be so quick to pull out the starters sometimes. But at the same time, it's obvious to me at least that telling the #3 and #4 teams in the country that they suck and are unworthy is nonsensical, especially when your school is looking up at them in the polls and your SOS really isn't that much better.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course I realize Boise State has flaws. Punt and kick coverage could be better and I wish Petersen wouldn't be so quick to pull out the starters sometimes. But at the same time, it's obvious to me at least that telling the #3 and #4 teams in the country that they suck and are unworthy is nonsensical, especially when your school is looking up at them in the polls and your SOS really isn't that much better.

You realize they have their flaws, but there's a difference between noticing their flaws and knowing what those flaws mean. Example, at the beginning of the season a lot of people were praising Denard Robinson because he was tearing up opposing defenses. I was in that camp, but I also noticed that the Wolverine defense was undisciplined, inconsistent, and more akin to cardboard cutouts. I may have even said that on here a few times, but I know I talked about how all it was going to take was an above average defense to keep the Wolverines from winning. Shoelace is a great player and will probably make a great reciever in the NFL, but right now he's being asked to do it all himself and he simply can not.

Is that going to stop me from talking trash to the roomful of Buck fans I'll be watching the game with this Saturday? Not even a little bit. :P

You realize they have their flaws, but there's a difference between noticing their flaws and knowing what those flaws mean. Example, at the beginning of the season a lot of people were praising Denard Robinson because he was tearing up opposing defenses. I was in that camp, but I also noticed that the Wolverine defense was undisciplined, inconsistent, and more akin to cardboard cutouts. I may have even said that on here a few times, but I know I talked about how all it was going to take was an above average defense to keep the Wolverines from winning. Shoelace is a great player and will probably make a great reciever in the NFL, but right now he's being asked to do it all himself and he simply can not.

Is that going to stop me from talking trash to the roomful of Buck fans I'll be watching the game with this Saturday? Not even a little bit. :P

Greatest thing about the rivalry, trash talking the Bucks fans. My ex-wife would always get pissed at me for this. Why? I have no clue, she was stupid to begin with

When the system dictates that the title be contested only between #1 and #2, then yes, #3 and #4 ARE unworthy.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Greatest thing about the rivalry, trash talking the Bucks fans. My ex-wife would always get pissed at me for this. Why? I have no clue, she was stupid to begin with

It'd be nice to get a win in there sometime, but I have to agree. ^_^

When the system dictates that the title be contested only between #1 and #2, then yes, #3 and #4 ARE unworthy.

Based on the system, yes, but the system isn't the only thing spitting on #3 and #4 this year. Seems like every AQ school in the country is looking up at Boise and TCU and saying, 'but we play a tougher schedule so they aren't worthy to be #3 or #4, we are!'

People keep saying the current #3 and #4 are unworthy of being ranked so high and that's a crap argument since the SOS gap isn't as wide as these people are making it out to be (according to the math).

...You know...this problem would be easily solved by a playoff :P

...you say as if there aren't games left to play. It hasn't all been figured out yet, so now is not the time to decide who's "worthy" and who isn't.

The irony here is delicious.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Winning the game is a lot more fun than trash talking fellas. At least it has been for the past six years in a row anyway. As well as the last eight out of nine. But hey, if trash talking is all it takes to make you happy then by all means... :P

BB52Big.jpg

Ohio State's president rips Boise State and TCU.

Funny how he goes after their schedules. Marshall, Ohio University, Eastern Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, and Michigan really have me quaking in my boots! How could ANYONE survive the grind of that slate? :rolleyes:

Miami, Wisconsin, and Iowa were the only three teams they played that were ranked at the time. Coincidentally, Boise State has/had three ranked teams on their schedule, too: Virginia Tech, Oregon State, and Nevada. Maybe the president of tOSU should look at his school's own schedule before running his mouth about other teams'.

EDIT: Ironic quote from him too on his views on a playoff system: "It's not about this incessant drive to have a national championship because I think that's a slippery slope to professionalism." Huh, that's funny. I guess the various pay-for-play incidents at Alabama, Auburn, Texas Tech, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and USC in the BCS era didn't happen then?

Just for that I hope Michigan kicks the ever loving :censored: out of them.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Funny how he goes after their schedules. Marshall, Ohio University, Eastern Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, and Michigan really have me quaking in my boots! How could ANYONE survive the grind of that slate? :rolleyes:

Miami, Wisconsin, and Iowa were the only three teams they played that were ranked at the time. Coincidentally, Boise State has/had three ranked teams on their schedule, too: Virginia Tech, Oregon State, and Nevada. Maybe the president of tOSU should look at his school's own schedule before running his mouth about other teams'.

EDIT: Ironic quote from him too on his views on a playoff system: "It's not about this incessant drive to have a national championship because I think that's a slippery slope to professionalism." Huh, that's funny. I guess the various pay-for-play incidents at Alabama, Auburn, Texas Tech, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and USC in the BCS era didn't happen then?

You two geniuses do realize that saying Gee's comments were "ripping Boise State and TCU" is a bit of an overstatement right? All Gee said was what a lot of other people have been saying all season. Furthermore, he was absolutely right about their schedules. That's not "ripping" the teams. It's simply pointing out the reality. As good as both those teams are, there is simply no arguing that they play the same caliber of schedule that the schools in the "power conferences" do. How pointing out a fact is "ripping" them is beyond me.

For the record, here is Gee's alleged "ripping" of Boise State and TCU.

"Well, I don't know enough about the X's and O's of college football," said Gee, formerly the president at West Virginia, Colorado, Brown and Vanderbilt universities. "I do know, having been both a Southeastern Conference president and a Big Ten president, that it's like murderer's row every week for these schools. We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day.

"So I think until a university runs through that gantlet that there's some reason to believe that they not be the best teams to [be] in the big ballgame.

Really incendiary stuff there. He never even mentioned Boise or TCU by name.

Then again, I guess the bigger question is why am I trying to have a sensible conversation with "Lights Off" and Tank. What's next? Talking BCS with willmorris? B)

BB52Big.jpg

You two geniuses do realize that saying Gee's comments were "ripping Boise State and TCU" is a bit of an overstatement right? All Gee said was what a lot of other people have been saying all season. Furthermore, he was absolutely right about their schedules. That's not "ripping" the teams. It's simply pointing out the reality. As good as both those teams are, there is simply no arguing that they play the same caliber of schedule that the schools in the "power conferences" do. How pointing out a fact is "ripping" them is beyond me.

"Well, I don't know enough about the X's and O's of college football," said Gee, formerly the president at West Virginia, Colorado, Brown and Vanderbilt universities. "I do know, having been both a Southeastern Conference president and a Big Ten president, that it's like murderer's row every week for these schools. We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day.

"So I think until a university runs through that gantlet that there's some reason to believe that they not be the best teams to [be] in the big ballgame.

Then again, I guess the bigger question is why am I trying to have a sensible conversation with "Lights Off" and Tank. What's next? Talking BCS with willmorris? B)

And Gee proves he knows nothing about football period. You shouldn't be throwing stones in glass houses when 3 out of your four non-conference games are against Eastern Michigan, Ohio, and Marshall and you beat them by an average of about 35 points. So you shouldn't be complaining about someone else's schedule when your team year and year out schedule the Sisters of the Poor for easy non-conference early season wins. Maybe Ohio State should drop Akron and Toledo from next year's schedule and play Boise State and TCU, just to see how good this mighty Ohio State team is. This president is a complete idiot. It's typical over-rated Big 10 myopic memory. The moron can't even remember beating Eastern Michigan 73-20? Complete moron!

And Gee proves he knows nothing about football period. You shouldn't be throwing stones in glass houses when 3 out of your four non-conference games are against Eastern Michigan, Ohio, and Marshall and you beat them by an average of about 35 points. So you shouldn't be complaining about someone else's schedule when your team year and year out schedule the Sisters of the Poor for easy non-conference early season wins. Maybe Ohio State should drop Akron and Toledo from next year's schedule and play Boise State and TCU, just to see how good this mighty Ohio State team is. This president is a complete idiot. It's typical over-rated Big 10 myopic memory. The moron can't even remember beating Eastern Michigan 73-20? Complete moron!

And here is where I remind oddball that Gee came from the SEC. :P

Of course I realize Boise State has flaws. Punt and kick coverage could be better and I wish Petersen wouldn't be so quick to pull out the starters sometimes.

Wow, don't be so harsh on your team, man. :rolleyes:

That is like answering "I work too hard" or "I care too much" when an interviewer asks you your weaknesses.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Winning the game is a lot more fun than trash talking fellas. At least it has been for the past six years in a row anyway. As well as the last eight out of nine. But hey, if trash talking is all it takes to make you happy then by all means... :P

...and Michigan still sucks!

PvO6ZWJ.png

1. Which he admitted when he said "Well, I don't know enough about the X's and O's of college football,".

2. RIght because Ohio State is the only team that does that.

BB52Big.jpg

Another interesting point: in 2007, when tOSU was on their way to a NCG, they played Akron, Youngstown State, Washington, and Kent State OOC, and their highest-ranked regular-season opponent was #19 Wisconsin. Is Gee willing to admit that the '07 Buckeyes were also unworthy of the title game based on their "Little Sisters of the Poor" schedule? Probably not. I'm just so sick of the collective hypocrisy of the BCS.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Another interesting point: in 2007, when tOSU was on their way to a NCG, they played Akron, Youngstown State, Washington, and Kent State OOC, and their highest-ranked regular-season opponent was #19 Wisconsin. Is Gee willing to admit that the '07 Buckeyes were also unworthy of the title game based on their "Little Sisters of the Poor" schedule? Probably not. I'm just so sick of the collective hypocrisy of the BCS.

...and Michigan still sucks!

btw, I am going to the game on Saturday. It will be my first OSU-Michigan game. If only they weren't wearing those damn pro-combat uniforms...

Also, E Gordon Gee is not a moron. He's one of the most in demand college presidents and makes about 2 mil a year. Forgive him for not knowing much about the current state of the BCS, but he's got other things on his plate.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived