CFL Ottawa

spartacat_12

Since it looks like the Rough Riders name is not an option the new CFL team in Ottawa will have to come up with another name. I really don't like the fact that Saskatchewan was given veto power over the name, I mean Ottawa was using the Riders name before Saskatchewan even had a football team, but there really isn't anything that can be done about that. I highly doubt that they will bring back the Renegades name considering what a trainwreck that whole era was. I hope that they use something that starts with an R like Rivermen or Riverjacks, that way they can still use this thing of beauty.

Well, that was a condition for the new owners of the Ottawa CFL team. The boys in Regina have the right to say no, so there you go.

Now, since it seems that Renegades would also be a no go (I don't know if you were ever a fan of the Renegades at that time, spartacat, but I would think all Ottawa CFL fans want to avoid that era). So, to me, I would think they would want something different.

I suggest using the old Lynx name from their IL baseball team.

Anything but Rough Riders or Renegades is okay with me.

An R name would be cool in some ways, to re-use the helmet & R.

But please, no furry hat & spear logo.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

...they're trying yet ANOTHER Ottawa CFL team? *Sigh*

It'll work this time. I think there will need to be a 10th team added within 5 years, though - to make the league work.

It'd be a shame if they didn't incorporate this logo: The Beav.

Easily the best logo that was completely wasted.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Can Saskatchewan veto the name Riders, though? If not, I think that's the obvious way to go.

If so, I'd consider Roughnecks, since it alludes to Roughriders and Renegades.

Can Saskatchewan veto the name Riders, though? If not, I think that's the obvious way to go.

Yeah, they can. It was a condition put in place when the expansion bid was accepted. The group that is going to own the new CFL team in Ottawa made a point to go out and get the rights to the Rough Riders name and that's why this came up.

Really though, what else says "football in Ottawa" other than Rough Riders? I guess it doesn't really matter anymore.

In terms of a new nickname; I think anything like Capitals, Nationals or something to that effect would be perfect.

I like the idea of going with a "slice of Canadiana" with a name like Lumberjacks or Beavers or something like that, but I think these kind of names lend themselves to logo that are cartoon-ish and will never stand the test of time.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Since it looks like the Rough Riders name is not an option the new CFL team in Ottawa will have to come up with another name. I really don't like the fact that Saskatchewan was given veto power over the name, I mean Ottawa was using the Riders name before Saskatchewan even had a football team, but there really isn't anything that can be done about that. I highly doubt that they will bring back the Renegades name considering what a trainwreck that whole era was. I hope that they use something that starts with an R like Rivermen or Riverjacks, that way they can still use this thing of beauty.

A generic looking "R?" Fail to see how thats a thing of beauty...

I love the R.

CFL doesn't need to be a flashy league, It's all tradition - That was one of the many mistakes the last Ottawa franchise made, Naming the team the Renegades.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Yeah, they can. It was a condition put in place when the expansion bid was accepted. The group that is going to own the new CFL team in Ottawa made a point to go out and get the rights to the Rough Riders name and that's why this came up.

Really though, what else says "football in Ottawa" other than Rough Riders? I guess it doesn't really matter anymore.

I know they can veto the name "Rough Riders," but is that extended to ANY form of the name Riders? My thought is that if they can't be the Rough Riders, they can at least go with something close to it like Roughnecks, Range Riders, Ridge Riders or simply Riders.

Whatever they go with though, I would hope they limit their choices to something that starts with R so they can at least tie into the Rough Riders' past. It'd be a shame to choose an identity that abandons all that history.

I know they can veto the name "Rough Riders," but is that extended to ANY form of the name Riders? My thought is that if they can't be the Rough Riders, they can at least go with something close to it like Roughnecks, Range Riders, Ridge Riders or simply Riders.

Whatever they go with though, I would hope they limit their choices to something that starts with R so they can at least tie into the Rough Riders' past. It'd be a shame to choose an identity that abandons all that history.

Range Riders or Rangers would be some other

How about Rideau Riders. Or is that too similar to Argonauts?

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

The Ottawa Ruff Ryderzz.

Ok, no. How about the Ottawa Rippers (saw reference)

Ottawa Rifles

Ottawa Ramparts

Ottawa Rapscallions

Ottawa Ruffians

Ottawa Rude Rascals

Ottawa Roustabouts

Clearly I am having trouble being serious today.

How about the Ottawa Rogues?

They could keep their original Black & Scarlett pallet (maybe a little Vegas Gold for trim) and maybe have a skull & crossbones moniker like Raiders/Bucs/Pirates/Marauders etc... I can picture fans waving Jolly Rogers in the stands.

Plus if they wear the old Ottawa "R" throwbacks, it won't look out of place.

And so long as we're being silly, they could have their own cheering section of sci-fi geeks known as... wait for it.....Rogue Squadron!!! (Hey if the Oakland Raiders can have Star Wars-themed fans, why not?!?)

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Archived