Unpopular Opinions

3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

This below would be my preferred "scheduled throwback" if they did that. Even if they bring back teal in a rebrand I doubt they'd go with "too much" teal in their primary look so if they're gonna do a scheduled throwback then I think that's the time to go with the too much teal look. It would look great in Sunday home games with the roof open which is what it was for in 93-95. As a matter of fact in 1995 this look stuck around as the Sunday alternate as they had already gone to the black caps as the primary home cap every other day of the week. 

Related image

Those would be fantastic. I don't even like vests usually, but those were the bomb-diggity ('90s phrase, but it's a '90s uniform so it fits).

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BrianLion said:

Marlins can't legally go back to being the "Florida Marlins" due to their deal with the city of Miami so I'd think a return to the exact old logo would be a no go. Perhaps they'll go the route of something similar featuring an "M"

Anything is better than the current orange-centric rebrand

A fair guess, but just a guess, is a Blue Jays-like "modernizing a classic look." 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

A fair guess, but just a guess, is a Blue Jays-like "modernizing a classic look." 

My fear is that, because black is what they had the most success in, and black is in right now and has been nonstop for about 20 years, that they will end up neglecting the teal like their last pre-2012 set did.

On 5/23/2018 at 7:27 AM, -Akronite- said:

Can people let me know if this is unpopular- While I would agree that the Brewers need to pick an identity and stick to it, this:

0*SY3CQJrPY3pHbtFh.jpg

is still an awesome look. Fauxbacks and extra colors being thrown in are hit-or-miss at best and this isn't an upgrade over the old logo colors, but I don't blame them for trying this cause it looks sweet as hell.

I'm pretty neutral on which shade of blue they go with going forward, as long as they stick with the yellow.  I think most fans prefer royal, and I don't blame them. But navy has the advantage of having represented Milwaukee teams for much longer and looking less like the Cubs.

This particular uniform though, is the epitome of the best of a bad situation. It might be the best example of their current identity, but it has to be compared to the fauxbacks, which blow it out of the water.

If that logo looked a bit more like this I might agree with you.
sHyjxb.png

But as it is, no one can say the BiG is somehow more outdated than the "current" early 00s drop-shadowed mess of a logo.

I know that's not necessarily what you're saying here, but it's the most common reason I hear for why people should prefer the newer stuff.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NicDB said:

sHyjxb.png

But as it is, no one can say the BiG is somehow more outdated than the "current" early 00s drop-shadowed mess of a logo.

I know that's not necessarily what you're saying here, but it's the most common reason I hear for why people should prefer the newer stuff.

The current logo might seem a bit dated because some of its elements were fads of the early 2000's, but a league full of logos that omit every "dated" design element would be extremely boring.. A logo can have a drop shadow without being a bad logo..

The beer-script styled M with wheat underline fits the brewers nickname and identity very well imo.. In fact, I think it's vastly superior to the BiG logo, which is only popular for nostalgic reasons.. Their current identity isn't executed perfectly, but it's a few tweaks away from being great

• Like 4

10 hours ago, NicDB said:

sHyjxb.png

This just looks like the Brewers put a minor league team in Ann Arbor. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

The current logo might seem a bit dated because some of its elements were fads of the early 2000's, but a league full of logos that omit every "dated" design element would be extremely boring.. A logo can have a drop shadow without being a bad logo..

The beer-script styled M with wheat underline fits the brewers nickname and identity very well imo.. In fact, I think it's vastly superior to the BiG logo, which is only popular for nostalgic reasons.. Their current identity isn't executed perfectly, but it's a few tweaks away from being great

I don't necessarily consider their current logo "superior" to BiG, because BiG is very clever and aesthetically pleasing - but there's no denying that their current logo is more appropriate for a team named "Brewers"...plus the wheat-ish color they currently wear is more appropriate than yellow.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NicDB said:

sHyjxb.png

The Germanic font is fitting for Milwaukee, and the wheat underline is a nice touch, but as @Prince Harry mentioned, the combination of big M with navy and yellow looks too much like Meatchicken.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

If that were true, it would only be popular with the over 30 crowd. Not people who don't remember or weren't even around for the BiG's original run.  It's the cleverness of the hidden "mb" that's allowed it to endure. 

I would also have to disagree that only a "few" tweaks would be needed to make the current identity work.  You'd have to start by getting rid of that goofy MS Word number font.  The current gold doesn't contrast well enough with gray, making it a muddled mess on the road unis.  The scripts are unbalanced to accommodate numbers, which is a flaw in their design.  Those half-assed droptails look goofy, yet don't actually work when extended all the way (several attempts at this have been made in the concepts forum). Even the blue Milwaukee jerseys exposed another design flaw... that weird blob behind the W that's needed to accommodate the drop shadow.

I also feel the current M really only works when you pair it with that heavily flawed identity package.  You can't really pair it with other scripts the way you can with the BiG.

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

I don't necessarily consider their current logo "superior" to BiG, because BiG is very clever and aesthetically pleasing - but there's no denying that their current logo is more appropriate for a team named "Brewers"...plus the wheat-ish color they currently wear is more appropriate than yellow.

Wheat can come in all different shades of gold, depending on age, texture, and lighting. 

94190-004-D8BC0070.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NicDB said:

If that were true, it would only be popular with the over 30 crowd. Not people who don't remember or weren't even around for the BiG's original run.  It's the cleverness of the hidden "mb" that's allowed it to endure. 

I would also have to disagree that only a "few" tweaks would be needed to make the current identity work.  You'd have to start by getting rid of that goofy MS Word number font.  The current gold doesn't contrast well enough with gray, making it a muddled mess on the road unis.  The scripts are unbalanced to accommodate numbers, which is a flaw in their design.  Those half-assed droptails look goofy, yet don't actually work when extended all the way (several attempts at this have been made in the concepts forum). Even the blue Milwaukee jerseys exposed another design flaw... that weird blob behind the W that's needed to accommodate the drop shadow.

I also feel the current M really only works when you pair it with that heavily flawed identity package.  You can't really pair it with other scripts the way you can with the BiG.

Wheat can come in all different shades of gold, depending on age, texture, and lighting. 

94190-004-D8BC0070.jpg

The "hidden" MB isn't very hidden, so while it's a cute/clever logo, it has no real staying power for me.. I don't mind it as a secondary or tertiary in the package, but it's a poor use of a "monogram" (as its better suited for a place like  Myrtle Beach, where the city/location name is "M.B.").. The current logo, imo, blows it out of the water..

As for the jersey issues:

-yes, a new similar-but-unique (and more sports-appropriate font for the numbers would do wonders

-the drop tail on Milwaukee looks fine, it's only goofy on the Brewers wordmark, and even then, it doesn't need to extend all the way, just a bit further.. 

-the weird blob behind the W isn't a design flaw, it's a production flaw.. There's no need for it to be produced like that.. A normal gold shadow would be fine.. It's a lazy shortcut made because that area isn't supposed to be seen (although it is often seen, hence this discussion).

And the current M, while limited to the "script" (or cursive) family of wordmarks, is nondescript enough that there are certainly other fonts/configurations it would pair nicely with.

While I agree that a lot of the "gold" used recently by the club is a bit drab, if they would combine the metallic look of the vegas gold with the brightness of the yellow to get more of a metallic yellow that catches the sunlight and gives off more of a beer/wheat vibe, it'd be perfect..

So, while I respect your opinion, I maintain that they're only a few small tweaks away from a great set that perfectly embodies their nickname and identity..

• Like 1

My point about the W is that the scripts would be a lot more legible without the drop shadows.  But because of the cap logo, it needs them in order to match.  I just wonder how many tweaks you have to make before you end up with something different enough to justify scrapping the entire thing. I get the feeling that a lot of Brewers fans are sick of the current identity simply because of the perception that it keeps getting forced on us when its obvious what the fans prefer.

But I'm gonna go off on a tangent now because this is the unpopular opinions thread... I don't actually mind when baseball teams combine their city and nickname for a cap monogram.  I'll admit my biases as a BiG loyalist are at play here.  But I also logged in a lot of hours playing Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 as a tween and teen, which made me curious about Japanese baseball where this is a much more common practice.

Yomiuri Giants:
giants-2015-1.jpg

Chunichi Dragons:
classic-chunichi-dragons-59fifty-fitted-

Yakult Swallows:
YAKULTSWALLOWS-NEWERA-59FIFTY-FITTED.001

Hanshin Tigers:
10019495_2.jpg

In some cases, the "city" is actually the corporation that sponsors the team.  The Yomiuri Giants for example, play at the Tokyo Dome and wear scripts that actually say "TOKYO" on their road greys.

25 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

It feels like "identity" is thrown around a lot as the barometer for a team's logo/look success but when it comes to the Brewers, who have a unique name that is relevant to the region, a lot of votes go to a logo that basically just says "baseball team."

I would argue they can get away with it precisely because the name is so relevant to the region.

Plus, the BiG has the added advantage of steering clear from any imagery that could be construed as marketing alcohol to kids... not that I see that happening anytime soon in a place like Wisconsin.  We think nothing of getting hammered at a toddler's birthday party, FFS! :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NicDB said:

94190-004-D8BC0070.jpg

Right (and gorgeous picture, by the way), but what I'm saying is they need some sort of gold or amber rather than plain yellow, which plenty of other, non-wheat-related teams already wear. Although I'm starting to agree with you that their current shade is too dark, I wouldn't want them to go back to ordinary yellow as a secondary color. They have a unique identity in all of sports and I like that their 2000-current look gives them a unique color too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NicDB said:

My point about the W is that the scripts would be a lot more legible without the drop shadows.  But because of the cap logo, it needs them in order to match.  I just wonder how many tweaks you have to make before you end up with something different enough to justify scrapping the entire thing. I get the feeling that a lot of Brewers fans are sick of the current identity simply because of the perception that it keeps getting forced on us when its obvious what the fans prefer.

But I'm gonna go off on a tangent now because this is the unpopular opinions thread... I don't actually mind when baseball teams combine their city and nickname for a cap monogram.  I'll admit my biases as a BiG loyalist are at play here.  But I also logged in a lot of hours playing Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 as a tween and teen, which made me curious about Japanese baseball where this is a much more common practice.

Yomiuri Giants:
giants-2015-1.jpg

Chunichi Dragons:
classic-chunichi-dragons-59fifty-fitted-

Yakult Swallows:
YAKULTSWALLOWS-NEWERA-59FIFTY-FITTED.001

Hanshin Tigers:
10019495_2.jpg

In some cases, the "city" is actually the corporation that sponsors the team.  The Yomiuri Giants for example, play at the Tokyo Dome and wear scripts that actually say "TOKYO" on their road greys.

The Brewers' best all-time look's got you covered:Men%20Milwaukee%20Brewers%20New%20Era%20 

4 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

The Brewers' best all-time look's got you covered:Men%20Milwaukee%20Brewers%20New%20Era%20 

Another reason I hate the current Brewers identity.... it was literally change for the sake of change and got rid of this potentially timeless look way too quickly.  Instead, it has only the painful post-Robin Yount years to be associated with.

I play a lot of Ken Griffey Jr. on the SNES though too, so I have a soft spot for this one.

• Like 1