Unpopular Opinions

5 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

I like Milwaukee’s old logo in the new colors and will probably be purchasing that cap soon.

1525_milwaukee_brewers-cap-2016.png

I like the "illustrator mistake" version much better than the original, as the Brewers fans around here think of it. The "web" looks a lot better where it's just the background version, and honestly, the original looks a lot more like the designer made a mistake in illustrator where he accidentally left the white background on there.

Sorry, Gothamite.

• Like 2

spacer.png

15 hours ago, dsaline97 said:

I like the "illustrator mistake" version much better than the original, as the Brewers fans around here think of it. The "web" looks a lot better where it's just the background version, and honestly, the original looks a lot more like the designer made a mistake in illustrator where he accidentally left the white background on there.

Sorry, Gothamite.

In the navy/yellow version, I might agree.. But in the original royal/yellow version, it looks better with the white web imo.. Kinda balances the logo better, with the white in the ball.. I think the navy details wash out the white web too much and cause it to blend with the yellow outline a bit, but the brightness of the original colors allow it to stand on its own a bit more.. At least to my eyes

On 6/2/2018 at 12:00 PM, CRichardson said:

Who, outside of Tampa Bay and the Original Six themselves, is playing Original Six Dress-up and isn't using a look that is derivative of an earlier look in the team's history?

I like classic hockey uniforms, so I don't mind, but one could argue that Dallas, Edmonton, Minnesota, Buffalo, Carolina, Florida, Winnipeg, Vancouver, and the NY Islanders currently have O6-style jerseys as their primaries. All of those teams have simple striping (shoulders and waist only), primary and secondary colors only, and no more than two colors other than white. I'm not sure how you'd define "Original Six Dress-Up," but those elements are probably part of it.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Edmonton, Buffalo, Vancouver and New York are all wearing jerseys that are derivative from earlier looks in their history. Carolina is as well, to some extent. The state of Minnesota has a long history with the sport so a traditional look isn't out of place for them. Winnipeg's road jersey is hardly Original Six dress-up. Dallas and Florida I can see the point.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I know the post being referenced, 

On 6/2/2018 at 7:30 AM, Jimmy Lethal said:

The retro trend in hockey sucks. Most of the NHL looked pretty killer in the pre-Edge '00s, there was no reason for everyone to start playing O6 dress-up.

mentions O6, but at the risk of speaking for the poster, it's possible we're talking about throwing back to old identities, minimization, etc.

While I agree that the poster that said the only team truly playing O6 dress-up is Tampa Bay, A lot of teams have eitehr become more traditional or thrown back to old looks, often at the expense of well liked looks.  These include (over an admittedly long period of time):

• Arizona, as most people like the picasyote
  • Buffalo, though I think most people are happy with them
  • Carolina going more basic
  • Dallas being on the outer-fringe of O6 dress-up
  • Edmonton going back to the old look (before replacing blue with orange).
  • Florida going with the Habs stripe
  • The Kings toning down their look
  • The Wild going with a traditional look
  • 1970s Flyers look.
  • The Isles going with their original look.

I think they are a mixed bag.  Buffalo went back to what they should be (tone of blue notwithstanding).  Minnesota looks their best, in my opinion.  I personally think the Flyers looked MUCH better in the 1980s than the 1970s and the nameplate blocks and sleeve number bleeding over the edge of the yoke(or whatever) belongs in the past.  I liked the late 1990s Oilers and thought it was a rare great use of darker blue and a metallic color.  

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, whitedawg22 said:

I like classic hockey uniforms, so I don't mind, but one could argue that Dallas, Edmonton, Minnesota, Buffalo, Carolina, Florida, Winnipeg, Vancouver, and the NY Islanders currently have O6-style jerseys as their primaries. All of those teams have simple striping (shoulders and waist only), primary and secondary colors only, and no more than two colors other than white. I'm not sure how you'd define "Original Six Dress-Up," but those elements are probably part of it.

Well Dallas is a Next Six team, while Minnesota was a Next Six market.  Buffalo, Vancouver, Edmonton, and the Isles are all old teams.  The Canes and Jets are pretty minimal, but look more clean than traditional.  The Panthers look like ass and should be more interesting though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rj0498 said:

Goofy old school style collar notwithstanding this is actually a pretty solid look that just got the stank of the sox late 70s dark age stuck on them

Image result for Chicago white sox 1976

I've said for awhile, this uniform on a modern (traditional?) template would not be a bad look.  Though they could probably use some piping.

• Like 3

On 6/2/2018 at 10:00 PM, dsaline97 said:

Sorry, Gothamite.

I feel like this version makes more sense since the web is usually the same color as the rest of the glove. That said I somewhat prefer the original version.

20 hours ago, NicDB said:

I've said for awhile, this uniform on a modern (traditional?) template would not be a bad look.  Though they could probably use some piping.

The script on the chest is cool. The idea of black/dark pants is cool. And piping could help in a modern template. Everything else I disagree with. The collars are obvious, but the SOX on the cap is inferior to their current logo AND is a complete mismatch with the chest script. The untucked look is sloppy as well. And the sox themselves are fine but nothing special.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 7:51 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Was there an ownership change to coincide with the rebrand or was it only because of the opening of Miller Park?

It was scheduled to coincide with Miller Park, but a crane fell down and killed a bunch of construction workers, delaying construction, so they ended up wearing the Times New Roman uniforms in the unexpected final year of County Stadium. The Seligs didn't sell the Brewers until 2004.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

15 hours ago, Cujo said:

The Washington Capitals have never looked better than this.

DeUlyA_XkAAIa4T.jpg

Loved that uniform in the 90s. If you make the angle stripe a straight horizontal stripe and your remove the wordmark, you have a beautiful modern look.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Cujo said:

The Washington Capitals have never looked better than this.

DeUlyA_XkAAIa4T.jpg

On a related note, I didn’t hate this:

DJrd5LL.jpg

Maybe a slight alteration of the word mark, but overall I liked them. I also enjoyed how both teams had a similar color scheme. If only the Nationals had joined in...

• Like 2