Unpopular Opinions

47 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

IMG-7275.jpg
I actually think the Blues got it right the first time with the Prototype uniforms

I don't think these are that good, but it's interesting to see different usage of musical notes

There are a lot of different musical note types out there they they could use in interesting ways

Alright, apparently this is an unpopular opinion then. This is a top 5 uniform set imo. With yellow numbers, obviously, with white numbers the uniforms are bumped down a few positions but still within the top 10 probably

spacer.pngspacer.png

Timeless (modern) classic. Up there with the black and red pre-Adidas Devils and 80s-90s Flyers jerseys. Nothing feels dated, color balance is perfect. I even like the slightly quirky font

I'll go even further, it's such a strong visual identity that they managed to be the ONE team that looked good with those stupid Edge templates. The piping even incidentally looked a bit like the Gateway Arch

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Meh 1

I mean, I'd rather these jerseys be the main Blues set than the light blue ones if they have to change their look again.

spacer.png

spacer.png

They're simple and classic-looking, which is important for a team as old as the Blues are. Plus, I like the added pop the red adds (which I know is an unpopular opinion).

Besides, St. Louis never actually used that light blue as a color before those jerseys; so I'd rather them stick to their historic color palette if they're going to redesign at all.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2024 at 10:17 AM, AFirestormToPurify said:

Alright, apparently this is an unpopular opinion then. This is a top 5 uniform set imo. With yellow numbers, obviously, with white numbers the uniforms are bumped down a few positions but still within the top 10 probably

So then my question would be who is your top 10. I think there's an overwhelming amount of teams with a stronger identity in the league at this moment

On 7/27/2024 at 10:17 AM, AFirestormToPurify said:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Timeless (modern) classic. Up there with the black and red pre-Adidas Devils and 80s-90s Flyers jerseys. Nothing feels dated, color balance is perfect. I even like the slightly quirky font

It is really a great uniform.  I love how the navy prevents the blue from being mono-royal.  I'm also usually against crest recolors, but they pulled it off very nicely.

The only nitpick I have is that on the dark, the yoke and pants match, while on the white, the yoke is royal while the pants are navy.  I definitely would not advocate for a navy yoke on the whites, but it does throw the balance off slightly.

But yeah - it's a top-tier uniform.

• Love 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 7/27/2024 at 5:23 PM, HopewellJones said:

I like the white numbers more than the yellow.

My opinion has shifted this way over the years. Initially I didn't like the idea of them throwing away an element of their uniforms that had been around for 50 years, but the white numbers do make for better colour balance. The yellow numbers worked when it was their secondary colour, but once navy started being used the numbers seemed more jarring. White numbers also help differentiate them from the Sabres. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 7:45 PM, ManillaToad said:

They just need to ditch the navy. The powder and royal blues are way better

See, I think the navy gives it better color distribution, at least for how the Blues are doing it. Making the crest logo navy helps it stand out more on the royal blue base color of the jerseys. Not to say that I didn't like the old royal and gold ones, but even with the gold outline, the crest logo just didn't stand out enough for me with it being royal against royal. I think that's why the Wild added that wheat horizontal line across their home jerseys, or why the Canadiens have a blue one. It helps bring more attention to the crest logos.

I do like seeing their old uniforms brought out on some occasions though because I generally prefer royal and gold by itself more so than with the addition of another color, like navy.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 7:17 AM, AFirestormToPurify said:

spacer.pngspacer.png

I'll go even further, it's such a strong visual identity that they managed to be the ONE team that looked good with those stupid Edge templates. The piping even incidentally looked a bit like the Gateway Arch

spacer.png

spacer.png

They're better uniforms than we usually give them credit for, but you can't tell me with a straight face that they're top 5 - they're at the very least behind the Original Six. I'd say behind teams like the Flames, Oilers, Sabres, Penguins, Islanders, Canucks, and Stars. They're very good uniforms, I've always thought that the NHL in general is miles ahead of other American sports leagues aesthetically, but they're not the cream of the crop in the NHL.

I am going to say this, the Adidas Adizero jersey template was not as good as people made it out to be. The cut is too boxy, and those shoulders are not comfortable to wear. The material was also not as good as jersey's before it. The dimples are kinda useless as well. The collars were also not very good looking. The rarity of it also plays into me thinking it wasn't that good as well, Adidas really gave us fans the short end of the stick here, like they could have made some good money but instead they chose not to and with Fanatics rectifying that it only makes it worse on Adidas. The team logos also were really flimsy on it. I also hate how it basically now monopolized the term "MiC" in the jersey community. there are many other MiC's but I guess now we can only use that for the Adizero. 

People in the jersey community only look fondly on it cause it was rare to get an on ice one. Now I own a few on ice Adizeros so I'm not talking blind here but compare it to a Reebok 2.0, 1.0, even a CCM 6100 and those are much better jerseys. 

On the other side, the Reebok Edge 2.0 was the perfection of the hockey jersey.  It took the strong and sturdy Airknit and chresting from the 6100, mixed it with the 1.0's form fit and boom! you got perfection. The shoulders were comfy, the collars looked nice, the cresting was strong, it was an all around great jersey. And Reebok even gave us the on ice product at retail. Though there was the period of time between 2008-2013 when they basically tried to deny that the 1.0 was a failure and gave us the Indo-Edge but in 2013 they finally made the 2.0 as on ice for retail. Though sidenote, the Indo-Edge wasn't as bad of a jersey either still happy to have many 2.0s and wish it was still the NHL jersey cause it was perfection!  

BtdCezY.png

9 hours ago, FriedPickles said:

I liked Oregon's Uniforms during the Joey Harrington era.

UO Alumni - Helping Students Achieve DreamsPin page

IMO those are better than anything they have worn since 2015

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bmac said:

My unpopular opinion is that the Blues should've utilized a double-blue color scheme from the start. The original Pittsburgh Penguins uniforms actually would've been perfect for the Blues. Those stripes even mimic the music sheet concept of the 90's Blues uniforms!

67home.jpg

I think a royal (dark royal?, Just not navy), powder blue, and yellow color scheme would work great for the blues. 

I would be interested to see this uniform with powder blue replacing the red:

63910b79163af.image.jpg?resize=1200,1692

• Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 9:19 AM, YelichGraphics said:

So then my question would be who is your top 10. I think there's an overwhelming amount of teams with a stronger identity in the league at this moment

I tend to rank them in tiers more than in a conventional top 10,  so these are not necessarily in order save for the first two:

"Delusional homer" tier

-Habs - I'm extremely biased obviously but it's not like it's an uncommon opinion

-Red Wings - I'm just a big, big fan of the all-red home uniform. Red hockey gear in general just looks so good against the white ice

Then you have the "great" tier

-Rangers - probably an easy and obvious #3 for me but still clearly behind my top 2

-Blues

-Stars

-Islanders

-Blackhawks

-Avalanche

Then it's the "very good to decent" tier where some of them could be and should be much higher but some design elements bother me a little too much

-Leafs (hate the custom number font, socks are boring, not a big fan of the single waist stripe)

-Bruins (Centennial logo on both jerseys and yellow socks with the home uniforms would bump them right below the Rangers probably)

-Sabres

-Oilers

-Wild

-Canucks

-Flames

-2024-25 Kings

-Senators

Not gonna list them all cause nobody cares about my opinion but you get the idea lol

Oh and Ducks would be in the first tier if they brought back their original jerseys. Sharks would be in 2nd tier. A lot of teams are not that far from greatness imo. Just a few tweaks or a full-time retro uniform away. Not too many teams look bad, the League is in great (visual) shape

On 7/31/2024 at 6:58 AM, AFirestormToPurify said:

I tend to rank them in tiers more than in a conventional top 10,  so these are not necessarily in order save for the first two:

"Delusional homer" tier

-Habs - I'm extremely biased obviously but it's not like it's an uncommon opinion

-Red Wings - I'm just a big, big fan of the all-red home uniform. Red hockey gear in general just looks so good against the white ice

Then you have the "great" tier

-Rangers - probably an easy and obvious #3 for me but still clearly behind my top 2

-Blues

-Stars

-Islanders

-Blackhawks

-Avalanche

Then it's the "very good to decent" tier where some of them could be and should be much higher but some design elements bother me a little too much

-Leafs (hate the custom number font, socks are boring, not a big fan of the single waist stripe)

-Bruins (Centennial logo on both jerseys and yellow socks with the home uniforms would bump them right below the Rangers probably)

-Sabres

-Oilers

-Wild

-Canucks

-Flames

-2024-25 Kings

-Senators

Not gonna list them all cause nobody cares about my opinion but you get the idea lol

Oh and Ducks would be in the first tier if they brought back their original jerseys. Sharks would be in 2nd tier. A lot of teams are not that far from greatness imo. Just a few tweaks or a full-time retro uniform away. Not too many teams look bad, the League is in great (visual) shape

I'd say my top 10 would be:

1a. Rangers

1b. Habs

3. Hawks

4. Bruins (non-centennial)

5. Flames

6. Wings

7. Oilers

8. Sabres

9. Leafs

10. Penguins

As you said, the league looks pretty good right now. Only downright bad-looking teams imo would be the Capitals and Blue Jackets.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ruttep said:

I'd say my top 10 would be:

1a. Rangers

1b. Habs

3. Hawks

4. Bruins (non-centennial)

5. Flames

6. Wings

7. Oilers

8. Sabres

9. Leafs

10. Penguins

As you said, the league looks pretty good right now. Only downright bad-looking teams imo would be the Capitals and Blue Jackets.

Solid list

My bottom tier for sure includes the Caps. I'd add Carolina, Nashville and Washington. Maybe Anaheim still, but I wanna see them in the context of a game before I make up my mind

CBJ aren't that bad imo, just a bit dull. I'd personally bring back lime green accents but I'm sure this opinion definitely belongs in this thread. Until then, they belong in the "meh/serviceable/acceptable/passing grade" tier just above lmao

• Like 1