http://www.thekdu.com/#adidas-nba-brooklyn-nets

NETS_5.jpg

NETS_1.jpg

NETS_7.jpg

NETS_2.jpg

NETS_4.jpg

NETS_3.jpg

NETS_61.jpg

I would've put this in the Concepts forum, but for the following blurb on KDU's site:

As we are based in Brooklyn, New York, it was a great honor when adidas called on us to help ideate a new visual identity for the Brooklyn Nets. We assisted in developing various graphical options, product development, environmental applications, community engagement, and advance thinking on marketing activations.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

None that I can share in polite company.

C'mon now, the top logo (where the net forms a crown, for Brooklyn aka Kings County) is fairly strong. The wordmark would like fine on a jersey. The reuse of the Brooklyn Dodgers "B" is a little forced (plus I'm not used to seeing interlocking letters for the geographic name + team name, as opposed to for a two-word geographic name) and the socks won't work in real life (this ain't the NFL; not ever player will want to wear socks of the same height), but the rest of that identity works.

I'm not as big of a fan of the other identities.

Net forming the crown is good and has potential but imho the colour choice is really bad and it seems like the logo is incomplete(not sure why). Not a fan of any other logos or wordmarks.

I like the uniform for the first logo set. The logo itself, as you said, has some potential, but it's very bland as is.

The others below it try to compensate the weakness of the design by using gradients, which just makes it that much worse.

The last set has potential as well (in theory, not in execution), but the colors are terrible. It's hard to illustrate the "net" effect well. I don't think they did it here, but they shouldn't abandon the idea. Overall, these need to be simplified.

A big, resounding NO to "BKLYN". Abbreviated city names on jerseys and logos are a fad that needs to stop, and stop now (I'm looking at you too, Phoenix and Atlanta).

The top concept with the net forming a crown is really nice, and I like the jersey designs for the most part. But "BKLYN" needs to GTFO. Spell out "Brooklyn" or use "Nets", that's it.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

KDU has developed a few identities for the Nets; see below:

http://www.thekdu.com/#adidas-nba-brooklyn-nets

NETS_5.jpg

NETS_1.jpg

NETS_7.jpg

NETS_2.jpg

NETS_4.jpg

NETS_3.jpg

NETS_61.jpg

I would've put this in the Concepts forum, but for the following blurb on KDU's site:

As we are based in Brooklyn, New York, it was a great honor when adidas called on us to help ideate a new visual identity for the Brooklyn Nets. We assisted in developing various graphical options, product development, environmental applications, community engagement, and advance thinking on marketing activations.

Thoughts?

An actual net in the logo for the Nets?

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Abbreviated city names on jerseys and logos are a fad that needs to stop, and stop now (I'm looking at you too, Phoenix and Atlanta).

I'll bite. Why? It's not like it hasn't been done in the past.

I don't like the PHX and ATL jerseys, but I really liked the PHILA uniforms from the 60s. Go figure...

Abbreviated city names on jerseys and logos are a fad that needs to stop, and stop now (I'm looking at you too, Phoenix and Atlanta).

It's just a pet peeve of mine. There's no sound reason not to just spell out "PHOENIX", "ATLANTA", or "BROOKLYN". It's a professional sports uniform, not a scoreboard or an airport baggage tag.

And I get the whole "The A.T.L" deal with Atlanta especially, but that's what fashion jerseys are for. Slap "ATL" on one of those. For the professional on-court gear, just use the full city name.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The same reason vertical stripes don't come back in the NFL. The same reason the Indians will never wear an all-red uniform again, or why the White Sox will never wear shorts again.

Just because it was done in the past doesn't mean it's awesome.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I don't like the PHX and ATL jerseys, but I really liked the PHILA uniforms from the 60s. Go figure...

PHILA wasn't that bad because it's a legitimate shortening of a long word, not an airport code or nickname. PHL would be horrible, PHILLY would be horrible, but PHILA is only kinda bad. ATL, PHX, "Rip City", et al are just horrible.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The same reason vertical stripes don't come back in the NFL. The same reason the Indians will never wear an all-red uniform again, or why the White Sox will never wear shorts again.

Just because it was done in the past doesn't mean it's awesome.

To clarify: I brought up historical precedent to counter the OP's statement that it was a fad, not to justify the practice itself. That being said: there have been well-received unis in the past that have used abbreviations (e.g, the aforementioned "PHILA" jerseys).

You've created a nice list of the most commonly-cited examples of sports uniform experimentation gone wrong in the history of American team sports, but I don't think society has collectively rallied to condemn abbreviated cities in the same way. Individuals (like the OP) may have their own pet peeves about the practice, but that's about it.

As for me: I currently work in Brooklyn, and I used to live there for a few years. I see the "Bklyn" acronym used commonly enough that it works for me. It's not just an abbreviation used for convenience's sake (like a scoreboard or an airport code); I see it in fashion and design as well. I think for cities where the abbreviation/acronym has pre-existing cultural significance, it works: Brooklyn/Bklyn, New Orleans/NOLA, and Atlanta/ATL. For others (e.g., I never hear people say "I gotta head to the Pee Aitch Ex"), it feels forced to me (in part because to me, PHX was just an airport code, nothing more). But here are few examples of the Bklyn acronym in use:

bklyn-designs1.jpg

Bastard_Jazz_and_Brooklynradio_net_present_BKLYN-heavy_Sounds_From_The_Country_Of_Kings_b.jpg

picture_bklyn.jpg

bklynyard.png

bklyn_0.jpg

Within this context, I think BKLYN jerseys that use this aesthetic can work fine.

PHILA wasn't that bad because it's a legitimate shortening of a long word, not an airport code or nickname. PHL would be horrible, PHILLY would be horrible, but PHILA is only kinda bad. ATL, PHX, "Rip City", et al are just horrible.

Rip City is a different animal entirely - it's a nickname for a city, not an abbreviation. It's more like old Warriors' "The City" identity more than anything else. I'd be okay with a Knicks jersey that said "NYC" on it, but I'd find it weird to say "The Big Apple", since it introduces a third term (beyond city name and team name) that needs to be integrated into the team brand.

Archived