Prokhorov: Nets to change name for 2012 Brooklyn move

Waffles

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "net/crown" thing is actually a pretty clever spin on locale/nickname in my opinion...makes plenty of sense ove one understands that Brooklyn is in (or really, pretty much is) Kings County.

See how that works?

I think sometimes too many people expect their sports logos to be TOO literal, as if they're mentally incapable of grasping an abstract visual concept. Sometimes its a good thing for a visual identity to cause the viewer to think a little deeper beneath the surface in order to grasp its full meaning. Of course, there's also a fine line between "abstract" and "complicated", and its a very hard and very thin line to toe (for those who believe in the "design on the line" principle)...but when you think about it, at the core, that's also the very essence of the oh-so-quoted phrase "pushing the envelope"--just how far can one push without going overboard? (We're kinda seeing this play out with the Miami Marlins right now.). Of course, I also understand not everyone thinks on a level that deep all the time--or, more likely, maybe I just tend to think way too deep into things way too often. :P)

As for the actual design of that first package itself, the technical execution could use a lot of refinement, but I love the idea of it (well, except the interlocking "BN" monogram--that can go). I agree that the full "BROOKLYN" should be on the chests of the prinary uniform(s), but I see no reason why te abbreviation can't go on the logo or even an eventual alternate uniform. If nothing else, it'd majke for a great sense of civic pride amongst Brooklynites (not that any New Yorkers anywhere need any more sense of civic pride--but that's another topic for another discussion for another time in another thread in another forum :D).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Looks great! Almost wish they would rename the team, so if NJ ever does get a team again they could be the Nets, and go with something like that.

Why? The team became the "Nets" while playing in the Long Island Arena in Commack, NY. If anything, this move may allow a new team in Jersey (extremely unlikely they will ever see a new team) to be called the New Jersey Americans. That was their original name back in 1967.

One last tweak...

E1eCF.png

Too much?

Very nice but I think Brooklyn should be on both home and away jerseys, just like Knicks with New York.

Why would they try to be more LIKE the Knicks?

To be fair, when you're the Nets, maybe you should try to be more like ANY other team... even the Knicks.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

One last tweak...

E1eCF.png

Too much?

Very nice but I think Brooklyn should be on both home and away jerseys, just like Knicks with New York.

Why would they try to be more LIKE the Knicks?

It's more about capitalizing on the Brooklyn name, I just used the Knicks as an example.

I guarantee you that the Nets will follow the current trend in the NBA ... something blue, a throwback and pretty generic.

This is actually about as far from the proposed direction as you can get.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I guarantee you that the Nets will follow the current trend in the NBA ... something blue, a throwback and pretty generic.

This is actually about as far from the proposed direction as you can get.

How?

jazz_uniform.jpg?w=563&h=337

GYI0062902235_crop_450x500.jpg?1293505509

Oklahoma+City+Thunder+v+Los+Angeles+Lakers+Yv2MH227CVHl.jpg

I bet you anything the new jersey will somehow mirror this with some minor tweaks. The NBA is a league of trending. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it is not.

c0b60e8f55161626b1b2241fd6fb0637a9dce362.jpg?x=300&y=420&sig=42c7a480b489e8be80d9f17262608229mookie-blaylock-9.jpg?w=214&h=300

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I personally wouldn't be surprised if Brooklyn went the other way and started a new trend by going ultra modernist. And why wouldn't the Nets use blue given that it's pretty much always been their primary color?

Bingo. The idea is that when you have an asset like Brooklyn, you need to make a statement to get the most visibility out of it. This is the direction that's being proposed for the Nets, jhans. They're definitely not going retro-conservative. There was a big push for another color scheme as well, but I don't know what came of those discussions in the end.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Nets have one of the best logos in sports. Too bad it's going to be whacked.

I personally think the Nets have one of the worst logos in all of sports. Awful perspective, and I hate the fact that it's 3D, but that's just me.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Nets have one of the best logos in sports. Too bad it's going to be whacked.

I personally think the Nets have one of the worst logos in all of sports. Awful perspective, and I hate the fact that it's 3D, but that's just me.

Yeah. It's really dated to the late 1990s/early 2000s. The concept of the shield isn't bad, but that cartoony look and perspective have got to go.

One last tweak...

E1eCF.png

Too much?

please tell me that I'm not the only one who thinks this uniform template is the worst ever. I know many people call these "classic" but I didn't like them back then and I would totally abhor them now. Just a totally horrible uniform set. I'm pretty sure someone in their right mind will speak up in the design room and put their foot down against this design influencing the new uniforms.

Archived