2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

Just thought I'd throw this in; I just got back from Nationwide Arena where I watched the Devils beat the Jackets 3-0. I hadn't been to a hockey game in about 5 years.

Other than the score how was the experience?

I'm actually a Rangers fan so the score was no big deal. In fact, the last game I went to was when the Rangers were in Columbus. I don't recall exactly what year it was. I just don't follow the Rangers or the NHL nearly as closely as I did before the lockout. Losing an entire season really killed my interest.

The experience was pretty cool. Hockey is so much better in person than it is on TV. Nationwide Arena is an outstanding facility. Everything is top flight. The crowd on the other hand needs some work. Blue Jackets fans seem to be pretty loyal and they show up but it's obvious that Hockey is fairly new to them. A large portion of the crowd was wearing Blue Jackets gear with jerseys being the clear majority. I've been to games in Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Madison Square Garden. Suffice it to say that the Columbus fans have a way to go before they're anything like a "good hockey crowd."

Overall, it was NHL Hockey live and in person. That's always a pretty good experience. It's a great arena and I think if the fans had a more competitive team, they'd really get into it. They try hard at least. Going to the game also managed to spark my interest in the NHL again. Just a little bit but it's a start. I may actually pay attention to the playoffs this year.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought I'd throw this in; I just got back from Nationwide Arena where I watched the Devils beat the Jackets 3-0. I hadn't been to a hockey game in about 5 years.

Now you can say you have seen the best goalie ever get a shutout.

Seeing Martin Brodeur play was way cool. I have to be honest though, that shutout was probably one of the easiest he's ever had. The Blue Jackets were playing the second of back to back games and it showed. They were sluggish and they really only had one serious scoring chance. Brodeur practically had the night off. The shots he was stopping weren't terribly challenging to put it mildly. I was a little disappointed because he really didn't have to do much. The Devils played great defense the entire game too.

BB52Big.jpg

Seeing Martin Brodeur play was way cool. I have to be honest though, that shutout was probably one of the easiest he's ever had.

Dead giveaway that you've been away from hockey for a long time. That was Brodeur's easiest shutout; all the rest are tied for second. Guy's faced about as many shots on goal in his crease as I have on my couch.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Seeing Martin Brodeur play was way cool. I have to be honest though, that shutout was probably one of the easiest he's ever had.

Dead giveaway that you've been away from hockey for a long time. That was Brodeur's easiest shutout; all the rest are tied for second. Guy's faced about as many shots on goal in his crease as I have on my couch.

Even more of a "dead giveaway" than this? B)

I just don't follow the Rangers or the NHL nearly as closely as I did before the lockout. Losing an entire season really killed my interest.

BB52Big.jpg

You haven't watched hockey since 1997 i see...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I remember when Craig Anderson and Michael Leighton played for the Blackhawks and couldn't stop a small planet. You've done good, boys.

http://www.thehockey...-confusion.html

Compelling argument for two-column standings, like the ones the three non-sham leagues use.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's also apparent that Matt Cooke is an all around douche in general. Anyone catch him cutting the laces of the Coyotes players in the locker room on 24/7?

Yeah, cutting the laces and shoving bubblegum in the gloves, its amazing he wasnt suspended for that alone.

Hockey players are very particular about their equipment. If Matt Cooke touched my equipment, and my skates especially, I'd "Matt Cooke" Matt Cooke once the game started.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's also apparent that Matt Cooke is an all around douche in general. Anyone catch him cutting the laces of the Coyotes players in the locker room on 24/7?

Yeah, cutting the laces and shoving bubblegum in the gloves, its amazing he wasnt suspended for that alone.

Hockey players are very particular about their equipment. If Matt Cooke touched my equipment, and my skates especially, I'd "Matt Cooke" Matt Cooke once the game started.

1zqy8ok.gif

The experience was pretty cool. Hockey is so much better in person than it is on TV. Nationwide Arena is an outstanding facility. Everything is top flight. The crowd on the other hand needs some work. Blue Jackets fans seem to be pretty loyal and they show up but it's obvious that Hockey is fairly new to them. A large portion of the crowd was wearing Blue Jackets gear with jerseys being the clear majority. I've been to games in Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Madison Square Garden. Suffice it to say that the Columbus fans have a way to go before they're anything like a "good hockey crowd."

Overall, it was NHL Hockey live and in person. That's always a pretty good experience. It's a great arena and I think if the fans had a more competitive team, they'd really get into it. They try hard at least. Going to the game also managed to spark my interest in the NHL again. Just a little bit but it's a start. I may actually pay attention to the playoffs this year.

The bolded part is where I think we were a victim of our condition. I think you may have picked the worst possible Blue Jackets game to go to if you were looking for a vivid and alive atmosphere. For one, they've played themselves out of the playoffs the last couple of weeks so excitement around town has really died down. Two, you went to a 5 pm game on a Sunday which is usually packed with kids and families who aren't the most vocal spectators. A lot of people from outside Columbus go to the afternoon games because then they can get back home at a reasonable hour. So there's the new factor you talked about. Three, it was at the exact same time at OSU's tournament game. That likely kept some people away. Four, that was one of the most boring hockey games I've watched all season. The home fans had literally nothing to get excited for. Hell, you didn't even get to see the cannon fire. Five, it was against an Eastern Conference team that we have very little history against so there was no rivalry to spark fans' animosity.

I've been at Columbus Blue Jackets games that sucked like the one you were at (a 4-0 loss to Vancouver in 2004 comes to mind), but I've also been at countless ones that were soldout, and fun, and exciting and the atmosphere was better than Reds games, Bengals games, and other NHL venues I've been to. I'm glad you're getting back into the sport, but I think you just picked the wrong game.

end homerific defense.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Pierre LeBrun reporting the NHL has suspended Matt Cooke for the regular season and the first round of the playoffs. So, 14 games, minimum. I look forward to him intentionally slashing the back of someone's knee with a skate blade in the conference semis.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Pierre LeBrun reporting the NHL has suspended Matt Cooke for the regular season and the first round of the playoffs. So, 14 games, minimum. I look forward to him intentionally slashing the back of someone's knee with a skate blade in the conference semis.

Nope. Without Sidney, I see them bounced in the first round.

Matt Cooke got off easy for what he did, I think. Plays like that have no place in hockey - he should be gone for the rest of the season, including postseason (and for any of the 28 games the Penguins do not play in the postseason, carry it over to next season).

Incidentally, I'd suggest to solve the ties problem, an idea of 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for an OT/shootout win, 1 for an OT/shootout loss, and 0 for a regulation loss. The problem here is that no reputable organization would install such a complicated system as that.

LvZYtbZ.png

The bolded part is where I think we were a victim of our condition. I think you may have picked the worst possible Blue Jackets game to go to if you were looking for a vivid and alive atmosphere. For one, they've played themselves out of the playoffs the last couple of weeks so excitement around town has really died down. Two, you went to a 5 pm game on a Sunday which is usually packed with kids and families who aren't the most vocal spectators. A lot of people from outside Columbus go to the afternoon games because then they can get back home at a reasonable hour. So there's the new factor you talked about. Three, it was at the exact same time at OSU's tournament game. That likely kept some people away. Four, that was one of the most boring hockey games I've watched all season. The home fans had literally nothing to get excited for. Hell, you didn't even get to see the cannon fire. Five, it was against an Eastern Conference team that we have very little history against so there was no rivalry to spark fans' animosity.

I've been at Columbus Blue Jackets games that sucked like the one you were at (a 4-0 loss to Vancouver in 2004 comes to mind), but I've also been at countless ones that were soldout, and fun, and exciting and the atmosphere was better than Reds games, Bengals games, and other NHL venues I've been to. I'm glad you're getting back into the sport, but I think you just picked the wrong game.

end homerific defense.

Relax my Ohio brother. I didn't say they were terrible. I just said they needed some work. Despite all the valid points you brought up, they still did a decent job. All I was saying is that in my three trips to Nationwide, the crowds weren't as "Hockey smart" as are the crowds in Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Madison Square Garden. I'm thrilled the Jackets draw as well as they do. I want them to embrace hockey and for the Jackets to succeed.

You're also right about the place being filled with families. Anyway, I didn't say it was a bad experience or anything. It was just weird when there were times where me and maybe 15 other people were cheering for something that no one else seemed to notice. That's been my experience at every Jackets game I've been to. Granted, one of those games I was clearly rooting for the other team but the point remains. :D

BB52Big.jpg

It was a good-natured prank on a former teammate. He wasn't running a sabotage mission on the Coyotes.

And yes, his elbow was ridiculous. In a way it cost the pens the game, and cost him a lot of playing time. It's better to have an agitator on your team than against you, but that is no excuse.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

Good job NHL. Now its Marios turn to see if the Pens advance, Cooke never sees the ice.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Archived