2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I just want to hear this from hockey fans. Do you want to see fighting banned? I just went to a game on Thursday and the people I was with were hoping there'd be a fight and even the lovefest that was two players hugging instead of fighting brought energy to the arena. Why is the media on the crusade to ban fighting in hockey. It seems they are the only ones who want fighting out of hockey. Am I wrong on this? I just have never met a hockey fan who wants fighting out of hockey.

Okay, I just want to hear this from hockey fans. Do you want to see fighting banned? I just went to a game on Thursday and the people I was with were hoping there'd be a fight and even the lovefest that was two players hugging instead of fighting brought energy to the arena. Why is the media on the crusade to ban fighting in hockey. It seems they are the only ones who want fighting out of hockey. Am I wrong on this? I just have never met a hockey fan who wants fighting out of hockey.

See, I thought fighting was one of the things the NHL needs to keep casual fans interested. Or at least, the testosterone-fueled crowd.

Not that I have a problem with it myself. I don't see any good reason why fighting should be banned: like you said, they bring energy to the arena, and sometimes players arrange fights to get their respective teams fired up (from my understanding, anyway).

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I get it's purpose and all, but it wouldn't bother me if hockey got rid of fighting.

I like the idea that a fight can be used to energize a team. If team A is down a goal or two and is being thoroughly outplayed, perhaps an enforcer winning a fight will raise the teams morale enough to get them going. I think it would be foolish to get rid of fights. Other than that incident in the Ontario senior league, I can't remember when fighting has lead to a major injury.

1zqy8ok.gif

I want fighting out of hockey. If the NHL would get rid of fighting, every other league would follow suit (at least in this country, and I'm also talking about :censored: ty adult league hockey.) The role of "enforcer" is stupid; it's just another term for some scrubby jackass who is taking up a roster spot from someone else. Some dude died a few years back in some adult league and that alone should have been enough for the NHL to get rid of fighting; however, it should never have been in the game since it was invented. Instead, now when two morons go at it, we have to see it and listen to how people say these dudes are tough, when they fight each other with pounds of protective gear on like a couple of pussies.

I enjoy hockey, and I also enjoy it when two people fight each other, but not when the two are mixed. The solution would be to watch a hockey game, then have the luxury of seeing two fans or other random people fight outside the arena.

This is one of the reasons why I don't watch NHL hockey, with the main reason being the league sucks nowadays, btw. I'd like for fighting to be gone as I said, but the NHL has way more important things to worry about first, not that they'll probably ever get rid of fighting though.

Why is the media on the crusade to ban fighting in hockey.

because it's a tired argument that is an easy way to stir the pot

you know, like what's with airline food and wow the lines at the post office are long

This is one of the reasons why I don't watch NHL hockey, with the main reason being the league sucks nowadays, btw. I'd like for fighting to be gone as I said, but the NHL has way more important things to worry about first, not that they'll probably ever get rid of fighting though.

what, specifically, "sucks" about the NHL these days? on-ice product only, I don't care if you don't get Versus or are deeply offended that there are teams in Nashville and Phoenix and Atlanta but not Winnipeg and Hartford and Hamilton.

Your faux outrage is ridiculous, you're all "ban fighting this is why I don't watch hockey" and then you admit even if they did ban it you still wouldn't watch. Boo freaking hoo.

1zgyd8w.jpg

I want fighting out of hockey. If the NHL would get rid of fighting, every other league would follow suit (at least in this country, and I'm also talking about :censored: ty adult league hockey.) The role of "enforcer" is stupid; it's just another term for some scrubby jackass who is taking up a roster spot from someone else. Some dude died a few years back in some adult league and that alone should have been enough for the NHL to get rid of fighting; however, it should never have been in the game since it was invented. Instead, now when two morons go at it, we have to see it and listen to how people say these dudes are tough, when they fight each other with pounds of protective gear on like a couple of pussies.

I enjoy hockey, and I also enjoy it when two people fight each other, but not when the two are mixed. The solution would be to watch a hockey game, then have the luxury of seeing two fans or other random people fight outside the arena.

Maybe if players in mens league hockey realized that scouts aren't in the stands, then they wouldn't be fighting.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Something that kind of sucks about the on-ice NHL is that the hard cap has priced out a certain tier of veteran roleplayers in favor of cheap, young guys. Jaromir Jagr today is better at hockey than the replacement-level bodies on fourth lines around the league, and yet there's not a place for him in the league anymore, which seems kind of wrong. I know we were all glad to see the KHL poach some of the more irritating Europeans, some of the more Karpovtsevian types, but you want to have as many of the world's best players in the world's best league, do you not?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I haven't noticed media crusade to ban fighting, more a media asking "does fighting even accomplish anything now?"

I used to love fighting in hockey when I was younger, But now that I pay more attention to the NHL I find that Fighting is pointless and just paints a bigger worse picture of the NHL to the non followers. The NHL is a professional sports league and I just look at fighting as an embarrassment and really it is pointless, no other league can get away with fighting. Why should the NHL?

I don't care about asserting male dominance on the ice and sticking up for a player after a clean hit, Sure after a dirty hit have at her but even the dumbest of NHLers (And there are plenty) know the difference between a clean hit and a dirty one, or least we would hope. <_<

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

what, specifically, "sucks" about the NHL these days? on-ice product only, I don't care if you don't get Versus or are deeply offended that there are teams in Nashville and Phoenix and Atlanta but not Winnipeg and Hartford and Hamilton.

Your faux outrage is ridiculous, you're all "ban fighting this is why I don't watch hockey" and then you admit even if they did ban it you still wouldn't watch. Boo freaking hoo.

Were you saying that the on ice product does suck or did you mean to put a question mark there? I don't know if it sucks, but the on ice product isn't as good as it was. A few other reasons why I don't really watch the NHL much: The first and probably biggest reason is the league doesn't care about it's customers. The NHL is the only league dumb enough in these countries to cancel an entire season. I get that lockouts or player strikes happen (sports are a business after all, and the leagues should be out to make money), but the fact that the league had to cancel and entire season shows how hilariously inept the players' union and owners are. If the league had more redeeming qualities about it, I could look past the cancelled season and spend my money on their things, but it doesn't. The fighting is another thing I obviously don't like, as previously mentioned. The league does ridiculous things, like going back and voiding free agent signings that were legal, because they were too stupid to see that something like that could happen when they were collectively bargaining.

Pretty much, since the cancelled season, the NHL has done everything in its power to look dumber and dumber.

I don't want a team in Winnipeg or Hartford, that's for damn sure. Hamilton I'm not sure about because I don't know the logistics of it too much, but could that area support three teams? I don't know. Oh, and I'm not one of those people who want the Jets or Whalers back for BS nostalgic reasons. Winnipeg didn't want their team enough the first time around and Hartford shouldn't get one because of its proximity to two of the top three or four markets.

I never said that I wouldn't watch hockey even if fighting was banned; I said that the NHL has more important things to worry about like, you know, making their league even remotely relevant, making its struggling teams revenue wise, not finish so far in the red either by relocating them or doing whatever, so I don't know where your comment is coming from.

Maybe if players in mens league hockey realized that scouts aren't in the stands, then they wouldn't be fighting.

If the NHL removed fighting a long time ago, mens' leagues would not have fighting either.

K where do I start, well first every mens league I know about have a complete ban on fighting that results in banishment. The death last year probably could of been prevented if the player properly wore his helmet and it was a junior hockey game, not a adult league. These "pussies" don't wear any protective gear on their face were they take the majority of the punches.

Seriously dude you obviously don't watch hockey if you don't know the role that it has in the game. Many fights are just for show and do nothing, but they have there place in the game as a way for players to police the game and keep it honest.

If the NHL removed fighting a long time ago, mens' leagues would not have fighting either.

Well, I'm sure someone's injured another person trying out an MMA move. Probably should get rid of that too, right?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

The latest rumor out of the mill has Kevin Bieksa going to Washington in exchange for Tomas Fleischmann. Discuss.

Well that's obviously not happening now. When/if they trade Bieska I'm hoping for some fourth line depth or a 2nd or 3rd round pick. While this likely wont happen, what about picking up Ryan Johnson to once again center the 4th line? Injuries are obviously a concern with him but he does everything you need in a 4th line center, good on the pk, great at faceoffs and shot blocking. Would be a upgrade over Joel Perrault and Alex Bolduc, plus he would likely sign for the league minimum.

K where do I start, well first every mens league I know about have a complete ban on fighting that results in banishment. The death last year probably could of been prevented if the player properly wore his helmet and it was a junior hockey game, not a adult league. These "pussies" don't wear any protective gear on their face were they take the majority of the punches.

Seriously dude you obviously don't watch hockey if you don't know the role that it has in the game. Many fights are just for show and do nothing, but they have there place in the game as a way for players to police the game and keep it honest.

Yes, fighting in adult league is technically "banned" just like it is "banned" in the NHL. It still goes on because the punishment for fighting isn't harsh enough. I'm not even going to click your link because you can't seem to grasp what I am saying. Hockey is not necessarily a :censored: sport; it is tough as hell, but when players fight with gear on, it isn't tough at all, it's either someone who sucks, or someone who got angry that they were hit a lil' too hard, and instead of trying to get that person back with a clean, hard check, they drop the gloves like a baby. Now, I'm not saying that if you do fight you necessarily are completely wrong because you may have to defend yourself if it comes down to it, like when someone climbs on top of you or something, but it shouldn't get to that point because fighting should not be in the game.

You're wrong on players having to police the game. Isn't that why you have refs? Like I said in the paragraph above, you can get someone back with a hard hit. Remember when Ovechkin hit Jagr in the Olympics because he had his head down? I thought that was great because I love physical play.

I know the role fighting has in hockey, and it is as stupid as can be.

Well, I'm sure someone's injured another person trying out an MMA move. Probably should get rid of that too, right?

You're missing the point here. The point of MMA or boxing is to fight your opponent; in hockey, it is not. Fighting in hockey is an extraneous thing that has no part in the game.

Archived