2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

I want fighting out of hockey. If the NHL would get rid of fighting, every other league would follow suit (at least in this country, and I'm also talking about :censored: ty adult league hockey.) The role of "enforcer" is stupid; it's just another term for some scrubby jackass who is taking up a roster spot from someone else. Some dude died a few years back in some adult league and that alone should have been enough for the NHL to get rid of fighting; however, it should never have been in the game since it was invented. Instead, now when two morons go at it, we have to see it and listen to how people say these dudes are tough, when they fight each other with pounds of protective gear on like a couple of pussies.

I enjoy hockey, and I also enjoy it when two people fight each other, but not when the two are mixed. The solution would be to watch a hockey game, then have the luxury of seeing two fans or other random people fight outside the arena.

This is one of the reasons why I don't watch NHL hockey, with the main reason being the league sucks nowadays, btw. I'd like for fighting to be gone as I said, but the NHL has way more important things to worry about first, not that they'll probably ever get rid of fighting though.

K where do I start, well first every mens league I know about have a complete ban on fighting that results in banishment. The death last year probably could of been prevented if the player properly wore his helmet and it was a junior hockey game, not a adult league. These "pussies" don't wear any protective gear on their face were they take the majority of the punches.

Seriously dude you obviously don't watch hockey if you don't know the role that it has in the game. Many fights are just for show and do nothing, but they have there place in the game as a way for players to police the game and keep it honest.

Yes, fighting in adult league is technically "banned" just like it is "banned" in the NHL. It still goes on because the punishment for fighting isn't harsh enough. I'm not even going to click your link because you can't seem to grasp what I am saying. Hockey is not necessarily a :censored: sport; it is tough as hell, but when players fight with gear on, it isn't tough at all, it's either someone who sucks, or someone who got angry that they were hit a lil' too hard, and instead of trying to get that person back with a clean, hard check, they drop the gloves like a baby. Now, I'm not saying that if you do fight you necessarily are completely wrong because you may have to defend yourself if it comes down to it, like when someone climbs on top of you or something, but it shouldn't get to that point because fighting should not be in the game.

You're wrong on players having to police the game. Isn't that why you have refs? Like I said in the paragraph above, you can get someone back with a hard hit. Remember when Ovechkin hit Jagr in the Olympics because he had his head down? I thought that was great because I love physical play.

I know the role fighting has in hockey, and it is as stupid as can be.

If the NHL removed fighting a long time ago, mens' leagues would not have fighting either.

Well, I'm sure someone's injured another person trying out an MMA move. Probably should get rid of that too, right?

You're missing the point here. The point of MMA or boxing is to fight your opponent; in hockey, it is not. Fighting in hockey is an extraneous thing that has no part in the game.

I thought it was great cause I feel like he had all of the Caps loving Jagr hating fans in his mind when he laid that hit.

On fighting: I don't disagree with you about a guy taking a number and getting someone back later on. I love fighting in hockey, but I honestly cant come up with a coherent defense of it. Its part of the game, thats all I really have to say about it, its been since I started watching it, and I enjoy it. It can turn the tide in momentum in the game which is important.

The thing I really do hate is what you alluded to earlier, about someone getting hit a little too hard and wanting to start a fight. A good clean hit is no reason to start a fight. I dont like the meathead aspect of it either, the "enforcer" role so to speak. I'd rather have a guy like Matt Hendricks or Matt Bradley who can contribute alot more to the game than fighting, but can step up and defend his guys when need be.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hawks are poleaxeing the Blues, 5-1 midway through the second. The Blues, as per their stated team strategy, are punching.

EDIT @ 9:05pm CST: Um, whuh-oh.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yes, fighting in adult league is technically "banned" just like it is "banned" in the NHL.

Actually it's not. A lot of times fighting in an adult league will get you kicked out of the league, correct?

Yes, it will in most, if not all leagues, get you kicked out. However, like I mentioned, there's way too many people (even one would be too many) who think NHL scouts are in the stands watching them play. So naturally, they take it way too seriously.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I want fighting out of hockey. If the NHL would get rid of fighting, every other league would follow suit (at least in this country, and I'm also talking about :censored: ty adult league hockey.) The role of "enforcer" is stupid; it's just another term for some scrubby jackass who is taking up a roster spot from someone else. Some dude died a few years back in some adult league and that alone should have been enough for the NHL to get rid of fighting; however, it should never have been in the game since it was invented. Instead, now when two morons go at it, we have to see it and listen to how people say these dudes are tough, when they fight each other with pounds of protective gear on like a couple of pussies.

I enjoy hockey, and I also enjoy it when two people fight each other, but not when the two are mixed. The solution would be to watch a hockey game, then have the luxury of seeing two fans or other random people fight outside the arena.

This is one of the reasons why I don't watch NHL hockey, with the main reason being the league sucks nowadays, btw. I'd like for fighting to be gone as I said, but the NHL has way more important things to worry about first, not that they'll probably ever get rid of fighting though.

K where do I start, well first every mens league I know about have a complete ban on fighting that results in banishment. The death last year probably could of been prevented if the player properly wore his helmet and it was a junior hockey game, not a adult league. These "pussies" don't wear any protective gear on their face were they take the majority of the punches.

Seriously dude you obviously don't watch hockey if you don't know the role that it has in the game. Many fights are just for show and do nothing, but they have there place in the game as a way for players to police the game and keep it honest.

Yes, fighting in adult league is technically "banned" just like it is "banned" in the NHL. It still goes on because the punishment for fighting isn't harsh enough. I'm not even going to click your link because you can't seem to grasp what I am saying. Hockey is not necessarily a :censored: sport; it is tough as hell, but when players fight with gear on, it isn't tough at all, it's either someone who sucks, or someone who got angry that they were hit a lil' too hard, and instead of trying to get that person back with a clean, hard check, they drop the gloves like a baby. Now, I'm not saying that if you do fight you necessarily are completely wrong because you may have to defend yourself if it comes down to it, like when someone climbs on top of you or something, but it shouldn't get to that point because fighting should not be in the game.

You're wrong on players having to police the game. Isn't that why you have refs? Like I said in the paragraph above, you can get someone back with a hard hit. Remember when Ovechkin hit Jagr in the Olympics because he had his head down? I thought that was great because I love physical play.

Sizemore already made my first point, fighting in adult leagues does not result in a 5 minute penalty, but a lifetime ban. You obviously are delusional if you think guys getting punched in the face are pussies. Show me the protective gear that covers their faces? The only other place players get punched is the rib which is barely protected. Plus these guys have bare knuckles so it probably hurts more than getting punched with boxing gloves on. Your right about a lot of fights being unnecessary and I agree there shouldn't be fights after a clean hit, but I wasn't talking about that. Guys like Matt Cooke and other dirty players should have to defend themselves after a bad elbow or cross check, its what keeps the game honest. The refs aren't going to call everything players need to be allowed to take some role in policing what happens.

Yes, fighting in adult league is technically "banned" just like it is "banned" in the NHL.

Actually it's not. A lot of times fighting in an adult league will get you kicked out of the league, correct?

When I said fighting, I didn't necessarily mean the full on dropping of the gloves like an NHL fight, I meant the stupidness that you see when one guy is on top of another one or if they are tangled up and wrestling with their cages on. Yes, the fighting of the NHL kind would probably result in a ban.

However, like I mentioned, there's way too many people (even one would be too many) who think NHL scouts are in the stands watching them play. So naturally, they take it way too seriously.

Just figured I'd copy and paste my comments here to say what I meant. When I said fighting, I didn't necessarily mean the full on dropping of the gloves like an NHL fight, I meant the stupidness that you see when one guy is on top of another one or if they are tangled up and wrestling with their cages on. Yes, the fighting of the NHL kind would probably result in a ban.

Sizemore already made my first point, fighting in adult leagues does not result in a 5 minute penalty, but a lifetime ban. You obviously are delusional if you think guys getting punched in the face are pussies. Show me the protective gear that covers their faces? The only other place players get punched is the rib which is barely protected. Plus these guys have bare knuckles so it probably hurts more than getting punched with boxing gloves on. Your right about a lot of fights being unnecessary and I agree there shouldn't be fights after a clean hit, but I wasn't talking about that. Guys like Matt Cooke and other dirty players should have to defend themselves after a bad elbow or cross check, its what keeps the game honest. The refs aren't going to call everything players need to be allowed to take some role in policing what happens.

How the hell am I delusional? You're the one trying to justify fighting in hockey when NOWHERE ELSE in life it is tolerated. "ITS DIFF'RENT CUZ ITS HOCKEE!!!@1" The fact that a fight usually results because someone got hit a lil' too hard for their liking shows that they're a :censored: (and probably not very good at hockey at that). Instead of showing the skill to hit someone cleanly, the dude will cry like a baby and drop the gloves. Like I said, there are times where you may have to finish something that some other dude started, but those times are few and far between, but noone should have the opportunity to finish something that some other dude started because fighting should not be allowed in hockey. Players should not have no say in policing anything, they should focus on the game.

When I said fighting, I didn't necessarily mean the full on dropping of the gloves like an NHL fight, I meant the stupidness that you see when one guy is on top of another one or if they are tangled up and wrestling with their cages on. Yes, the fighting of the NHL kind would probably result in a ban.

However, like I mentioned, there's way too many people (even one would be too many) who think NHL scouts are in the stands watching them play. So naturally, they take it way too seriously.

Just figured I'd copy and paste my comments here to sya what I meant. When I said fighting, I didn't necessarily mean the full on dropping of the gloves like an NHL fight, I meant the stupidness that you see when one guy is on top of another one or if they are tangled up and wrestling with their cages on. Yes, the fighting of the NHL kind would probably result in a ban.

How the hell am I delusional? You're the one trying to justify fighting in hockey when NOWHERE ELSE in life it is tolerated. "ITS DIFF'RENT CUZ ITS HOCKEE!!!@1" The fact that a fight usually results because someone got hit a lil' too hard for their liking shows that they're a :censored: (and probably not very good at hockey at that). Instead of showing the skill to hit someone cleanly, the dude will cry like a baby and drop the gloves. Like I said, there are times where you may have to finish something that some other dude started, but those times are few and far between, but noone should have the opportunity to finish something that some other dude started because fighting should not be allowed in hockey. Players should not have no say in policing anything, they should focus on the game.

Out of curiosity, since it appears that you hate hockey so much, why are you commenting in the NHL thread...?

6fQjS3M.png

Will removing fighting from hockey make the game better? Probably. Should they attempt to remove it? No.

Eye, I'm sorry, but you're way off base if you think the NHL getting rid of it will spur other organizations to remove it. Fighting is part of the hockey culture. It goes beyond what the NHL allows or doesn't allow. To remove fighting from hockey you would need to fundamentally altar the culture of the players who play the game, all the way from high school to the various pro levels to adult rec leagues. Simply put, that's not going to happen.

Forgive the pun, but when it comes to fighting and hockey people need to pick their battles. Removing it from the game is an ideological crusade, with very little practical potential.

@size, Eye claims that he's a hockey fan who's been turned off by the NHL product. As to what his personal grievances are, I don't know. Fighting can't be that big of an issue, because he's said that even if the NHL banned it outright he still wouldn't watch.

Out of curiosity, since it appears that you hate hockey so much, why are you commenting in the NHL thread...?

I enjoy hockey; I just don't watch the NHL. It's a big difference. I don't post in this thread too often, but I check it every now and then, just to see what's going on because I like a few players, but by and large, I don't like the league.

Will removing fighting from hockey make the game better? Probably. Should they attempt to remove it? No.

Eye, I'm sorry, but you're way off base if you think the NHL getting rid of it will spur other organizations to remove it. Fighting is part of the hockey culture. It goes beyond what the NHL allows or doesn't allow. To remove fighting from hockey you would need to fundamentally altar the culture of the players who play the game, all the way up from high school to the various pro levels to adult rec leagues. Simply put, that's not going to happen.

Forgive the pun, but when it comes to fighting and hockey people need to pick their battles. Removing it from the game is an ideological crusade, with very little practical potential.

You're right since it got to this point, but if the NHL, didn't allow it in the first place, no other organizations would either (that's not the case obviously, just figured it'd bear mentioning).

I enjoy hockey; I just don't watch the NHL. It's a big difference. I don't post in this thread too often, but I check it every now and then, just to see what's going on because I like a few players, but by and large, I don't like the league.

Eye, I'm sorry, but you're way off base if you think the NHL getting rid of it will spur other organizations to remove it. Fighting is part of the hockey culture. It goes beyond what the NHL allows or doesn't allow. To remove fighting from hockey you would need to fundamentally altar the culture of the players who play the game, all the way up from high school to the various pro levels to adult rec leagues. Simply put, that's not going to happen.

You're right since it got to this point, but if the NHL, didn't allow it in the first place, no other organizations would either (that's not the case obviously, just figured it'd bear mentioning).

It wouldn't be that difficult to alter the culture. Players manage to not fight in the Olympics, and even playoffs, and fighting is rare in college. It's not allowed in any adult rec league I've seen. And as I understand it, fighting has very little role in European hockey. I don't understand how it's so impractical.

IUe6Hvh.png

It wouldn't be that difficult to alter the culture. Players manage to not fight in the Olympics, and even playoffs, and fighting is rare in college. And as I understand it, fighting has little role in European hockey.

That, and you cannot fight in high school hockey. I agree with this even though my previous post is missing the words "might be" in there, lol.

It wouldn't be that difficult to alter the culture. Players manage to not fight in the Olympics, and even playoffs, and fighting is rare in college. And as I understand it, fighting has little role in European hockey.

That, and you cannot fight in high school hockey. I agree with this even though my previous post is missing the words "might be" in there, lol.

I figured you would. I was basically quoting you to respond to Ice Cap, so my fault for any confusion.

IUe6Hvh.png

God, the Blues are such a pain in the ass. Even now that they have some talented players, they still insist on cheapshots and fights. I hope that crap costs them big down the line.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Again--why not? It's not the fighting, so what is it?

The minor pro leagues in North America will absolutely never ban fighting, even if the NHL did.

1zgyd8w.jpg

The latest rumor out of the mill has Kevin Bieksa going to Washington in exchange for Tomas Fleischmann. Discuss.

Well that's obviously not happening now. When/if they trade Bieska I'm hoping for some fourth line depth or a 2nd or 3rd round pick. While this likely wont happen, what about picking up Ryan Johnson to once again center the 4th line? Injuries are obviously a concern with him but he does everything you need in a 4th line center, good on the pk, great at faceoffs and shot blocking. Would be a upgrade over Joel Perrault and Alex Bolduc, plus he would likely sign for the league minimum.

Honestly, I was glad they got rid of Johnson. Dude just couldn't stay healthy, and the 4th line hasn't been a problem this year, even with over ten different people playing on it. I'd rather someone younger play there.

I also thinking any talk of trading Bieksa is super foolish at this point, Sami Salo could very well be injured by a heavy rain drop, slight breeze, or fast moving turtle as soon as his Achilles injury heals.

It wouldn't be that difficult to alter the culture. Players manage to not fight in the Olympics, and even playoffs, and fighting is rare in college. It's not allowed in any adult rec league I've seen. And as I understand it, fighting has very little role in European hockey. I don't understand how it's so impractical.

You assume that just because it's not allowed that it doesn't happen. Fighting still happens in the playoffs and college, even if it's with less frequent then in the NHL's regular season. It happens very little in European hockey, but we're not talking about Europe. We're talking about the NHL, a primarily North American league with North American players and fans who have been conditioned since they were very little to accept and celebrate fighting as part of the game. Yes, it's banned in high school. It still happens though, trust me as someone who's played at that level. Likewise it happens in adult rec leagues, regardless of if it's banned or not.

The NHL? Well even if the NHL did ban it, there's no guarantee other leagues would follow them. The AHL probably would, just due to their relationship with the NHL. The two CHLs, ECHL, and other leagues though? No way. There are to many fans and players that are so conditioned to accept and celebrate fighting as part of the sport of hockey that they will view the NHL's abolition of it as an attack on the game itself. These minor and junior leagues may, in the wake of a NHL ban on fighting, decide to promote it as part of their leagues in an attempt to win fans who see fighting as part of the game.

Fighting goes beyond simply what the NHL allows or not. North American hockey players, since they start playing, see it as just part of the game. Yes, it's not that prevalent in Europe, but North America isn't Europe. To get rid of it in the North American context you need to fundamentally altar what fans and players at every level of the sport think the game is supposed to be about. That's impractical. Yes, I agree the sport would be better off without it. I just disagree with actually trying to get rid of it, because I see that as a useless endeavour. It's not going to happen.

As for the Olympics, well that's a very special case. You can't take Olympic hockey and try and export what makes it special beyond the Olympics.

I just saw the " :censored:" comment by Eye. Eye, I'm pretty sure you mentioned that you have played organized hockey. Have you by chance ever engaged in a fight?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Forbes figures out what anyone who took high school Algebra 1 has figured out, that payroll as a function of revenue will escalate and crush underperformers.

http://blogs.forbes.com/mikeozanian/2010/12/01/salary-caps-have-widened-the-money-gap-in-pro-sports/

Tying team payrolls to league-wide revenue (currently about 50% of total revenue goes towards player compensation and benefits in each of four leagues) has served to make high-revenue teams enormously profitable and low-revenue teams unprofitable, or marginally so, relative to their rivals. The growing distortion in profitability has resulted in a bigger gap in team values.

In our just-completed NHL valuations, the league?s aggregate operating income was $135 million for the 2009-10 season. But without the combined operating income ($177 million) of the Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers and Montreal Canadiens the league would have lost money. Thus Toronto is worth a league-high $505 million while 16 teams are valued under $200 million.

NHLol

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

God, the Blues are such a pain in the ass. Even now that they have some talented players, they still insist on cheapshots and fights. I hope that crap costs them big down the line.

It already has, costing them 3 months of T.J. Oshie earlier in the year in an 8-1 blowout at Columbus.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived