2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

Rain showers and temperatures in the low 50s are being forecast for the Capitals-Penguins outdoor game Saturday at Heinz Field, hardly the conditions the NHL wants for its midseason showcase featuring stars Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin.

<snip>

If the Winter Classic is not played this weekend, the game would be rescheduled for later this season at Consol Energy Center.

Serves them right for trying to fit Sid into two in four years. And Ovi in one, period.

Market the other teams, already!

Because nothing markets quite like Predators vs Panthers from beautiful Sunrise, Florida, right?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've watched these "shut-down" forwards that are always up for the Selke and none of them play defense at all, they get the Selke based off of offensive production

Pavel Datsyuk is perennially a league leader in takeaways. He has offensive production precisely because he plays such good defense. You've watched nothing. You're stupid.

The fact that you resort to calling people names when they disagree with something you say, or something you don't like. I have one word for you. Grow up and get out of puberty before you make your next post.

In this case, however, he's absolutely right (about Datsyuk and the Selke)

I'm not saying that Datsyuk is horrible by any means, what I am saying is that the award has totally overlooked defensive forwards and the only forwards who get any recognition for the award are guys who score points. It's just when you see great defensive players not get their due because they don't score points, it's frustrating. You look at some of the great defensive forwards who have won the award in the past and they weren't offensive players, they were defensive players that were recognized for what they did. If you want to create the best defensive player that scores a lot award, then go ahead and create it, but let's give recognition for the players who work hard and may not score a lot.

Rain showers and temperatures in the low 50s are being forecast for the Capitals-Penguins outdoor game Saturday at Heinz Field, hardly the conditions the NHL wants for its midseason showcase featuring stars Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin.

<snip>

If the Winter Classic is not played this weekend, the game would be rescheduled for later this season at Consol Energy Center.

Serves them right for trying to fit Sid into two in four years. And Ovi in one, period.

Market the other teams, already!

Because nothing markets quite like Predators vs Panthers from beautiful Sunrise, Florida, right?

Not those teams, silly. The ones that actually get snow on a regular basis.

Again Magnus, Crosby and Ovie are, whether you like them or not, the NHL's two most marketable players. Given that the Winter Classic is the one time of the year the casual American sports fan actually cares about the NHL it makes sense to have it feature the two most marketable players.

Wings beat the Avalanche 4-3 last night in OT... however, the story of the game was Chris Osgood picking up win #400...

AllStarChrisOsgoodImage2.JPG

Now, the debate in Detroit today is whether or not Osgood is deserving of being inducted to the Hall of Fame. His resume will be pretty impressive if this is his last year (which I don't think it will be):

- Likely #8 on all-time wins chart, passing Grant Fuhr (403) and Glenn Hall (407)

- GAA somewhere around 2.20... lowest GAA among top-25 goalies, likely better than Brodeur (2.23)... I know... different eras so most of the list is non-comparable... but for arguments sake.

- 3 Stanley Cup rings (Only an active participant for two though)

Now, not many people have ever thought of Osgood as top-tier goalie (Has anyone ever considered Osgood as a Top 5 goalie in the NHL?)... However, he does have all the stats and has been incredibly consistent throughout his career... So the question is... would you put Osgood in the Hall of Fame?

It's kinda ironic. Feaster's Bolts beat Sutter's Flames in the 04 Finals. Now he takes his job.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Again Magnus, Crosby and Ovie are, whether you like them or not, the NHL's two most marketable players. Given that the Winter Classic is the one time of the year the casual American sports fan actually cares about the NHL it makes sense to have it feature the two most marketable players.

That "casual American viewer" is also watching college football bowl games on New Year's Day. No matter who's playing this game, it's a ratings suicide for the NHL when they're going up against football.

The NHL should push back future Winter Classic games until the Saturday of the weekend that precedes the Super Bowl. Their main sports competition is college basketball and the NBA....two entities that don't draw in many viewers.

Best healthy defenseman. Streit is the Isles best defenseman overall. Isles arent going anywhere this year anyway, they acquired him from Anaheim for a 3rd round pick, got a 2nd in return. Decent trade even though it is before the trade deadline.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Wings beat the Avalanche 4-3 last night in OT... however, the story of the game was Chris Osgood picking up win #400...

AllStarChrisOsgoodImage2.JPG

Now, the debate in Detroit today is whether or not Osgood is deserving of being inducted to the Hall of Fame. His resume will be pretty impressive if this is his last year (which I don't think it will be):

- Likely #8 on all-time wins chart, passing Grant Fuhr (403) and Glenn Hall (407)

- GAA somewhere around 2.20... lowest GAA among top-25 goalies, likely better than Brodeur (2.23)... I know... different eras so most of the list is non-comparable... but for arguments sake.

- 3 Stanley Cup rings (Only an active participant for two though)

Now, not many people have ever thought of Osgood as top-tier goalie (Has anyone ever considered Osgood as a Top 5 goalie in the NHL?)... However, he does have all the stats and has been incredibly consistent throughout his career... So the question is... would you put Osgood in the Hall of Fame?

I would put Osgood in the Hall of Fame. As you said he has the stats for it, the only thing going against him is that not many fans know who he is. He has flown under the radar most (if not all) of his career, but is as consistent as they come. He has always been one of my favorite goalies to watch and hope he gets in the Hall of Fame when he decides to retire.

jNTsTyQ.png

I can live with it this year, but the league really needs to present the game to other markets/teams that would embrace it just as loudly. Just my opinion. I mean, look at what happened in Michigan this month for the Big Chill. No reason to think the same couldn't happen in Minnesota, even if the team was playing poorly all season.

I think it's really funny that the beginning of the commercial for the WC has Ovechkin and Crosby standing outdoors in a driving rainstorm. It ultimately turns to ice in the ad, but it seems they may have foretold the future.

PvO6ZWJ.png

People keep suggesting Target Field for it if it EVER gets to Minnesota. What about TCF Bank Stadium at the University of Minnesota?

TCF_Bank_Stadium_opener.jpg

It seats 80,000 for football, so you could probably get another 5,000+ for hockey. In Minnesota, it's VERY likely to sell out.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

When you say "Hall of Fame", you simply can't include guys that you consider "flown under the radar"......

But Osgood never flew under the radar. He's won 3 Cups and to me that along with his stats, are Hall of Fame worthy. He is the greatest, no, but he is one of the best.

People keep suggesting Target Field for it if it EVER gets to Minnesota. What about TCF Bank Stadium at the University of Minnesota?

TCF_Bank_Stadium_opener.jpg

It seats 80,000 for football, so you could probably get another 5,000+ for hockey. In Minnesota, it's VERY likely to sell out.

Try 50,000.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived