MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

I've always thought the Cardinals would look good in brown-tinted road greys, kind of a dirty grey. You know, because the Gashouse Gang got their uniforms dirty. The blue tint doesn't look right to me. The Royals should be in blue-grey.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree. I have three "rules" of sorts that determine a good baseball uniform set.

1. Either use script all the time, or block all the time. A script/block mishmash just looks bad. And the script or block have to match on all uniforms. (Exception: the Yankees and Tigers.)

2. Team name at home, city name on the road. (Again, the Yankees and Tigers are an exception.)

3. If possible, a non-gray road uniform is ideal.

I am so glad you do not decide the rules.

1. Script on home with the city in block on the road can look really nice.

2. Agree, but you can add the Cardinals and Phillies to the exception.

3. All the non-gray roads of the 70's and 80's are left where they belong... in the 70's and 80's.

Now, I wouldn't mind teams coming up with grays tinted with particular colors. I've done Rays concepts where I try to make the gray road uniform have a bit of a powder blue tint to it. It looks gray, but you get the blue-ish shade too. I think the Padres could've done more of a sand color than the khaki, much like their inaugural sets. That wouldn't look too bad or outlandish. But other than that, full body head-to-toe color just does not look good on grown men. Thus why monochrome+leotard look is terrible in the NFL.

I think the Phillies could be an exception only because as we've seen, Philadelphia just looks terrible on a jersey - it's too long, and just not an aethetically pleasing word.

"St. Louis", on the other hand, looks great in the Cardinals script, and looks great with the birds-on-bat. It should certainly be on the roads.

If you've seen the St.Louis BoB, you'd know why I included them. The logo fits too oddly on the front.

1984 Throwback the Phillies will wear this Friday night vs the Padres for 80s night......Dont know y 84 bc they won the WS in 80 and then went back and lost to Balt in 83

Here's some good news: This isn't Twitter. You can use full words and punctuation here!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Grey road uniforms are here to stay. Baseball tried full colour road looks before, and by and large they were terrible. Yes, Kansas City's powder blue roads look nice, but there's no reason why they can't just stick with a powder blue alternate top and pair it with home white or road grey pants.

Also, those khaki Padres roads looked like urine-stained greys.

If you've seen the St.Louis BoB, you'd know why I included them. The logo fits too oddly on the front.

cardscriptcopy.jpg

This is perfectly acceptable.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1984 Throwback the Phillies will wear this Friday night vs the Padres for 80s night......Dont know y 84 bc they won the WS in 80 and then went back and lost to Balt in 83

283817_250633821615940_100000079715930_1026791_5496066_n.jpg

Aren't all all the 1980's Phillies home uniforms interchangeable? they all look the same to me

Yes, Kansas City's powder blue roads look nice, but there's no reason why they can't just stick with a powder blue alternate top and pair it with home white or road grey pants.

First of all, powder blue and grey would look really awful. Secondly, here's why they shouldn't continue to relegate powder blue to alternate status - this would look very classy as their full-time road uniform:

Fr3Qd.png

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Oh, woof.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yes, Kansas City's powder blue roads look nice, but there's no reason why they can't just stick with a powder blue alternate top and pair it with home white or road grey pants.

First of all, powder blue and grey would look really awful. Secondly, here's why they shouldn't continue to relegate powder blue to alternate status - this would look very classy as their full-time road uniform:

Fr3Qd.png

That looks awful.

cardscriptcopy.jpg

This is perfectly acceptable.

The logo itself is awesome. That's not the issue. Place that on a jersey and see the sizing issues. If they can get it to work that'd be great. But from my experience trying to do a concept with it it just looks odd.

Aren't all all the 1980's Phillies home uniforms interchangeable? they all look the same to me

For the most part yes they are. The sleeve patch is what changed alot. I just want to know y they are doing a 1984 throwback night

Phils2.pngPhils_Primary.pngPhils4.pngPhils3.png

For the most part yes they are. The sleeve patch is what changed alot. I just want to know y they are doing a 1984 throwback night

They're not all the same. Up until (I think) '87, the pinstripes were actually red, despite the racing stripes and P being maroon. Also, the chest logo changed from the sans swirl P to the swirl P (like the cap logo) either the same year, or right around the same year (they couldn't wear it on their jerseys up until then because it was deemed to resemble a baseball.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think there are a good number of teams that would look better with colored road jerseys. The matching colored pants can stay in the past, but colored road jerseys are fine by me. Just pair them with white pants (gray looks worse in almost every case) and most teams would look better on the road. It's not 1900, teams have modern washing technology and don't need to wear gray on the road. Teams with traditional looks (Yankees, Tigers, Dodgers, etc.) should all stick with gray, but I'd like to see more color.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived