2010-11 NBA Season

gingerbreadmann

If there is a hard cap, it hurts every team.

True, but that would be balanced out by the proposed franchise tag, which would help teams like the Jazz, Nuggets, Raptors, Cavs, etc. keep their stars. So ultimately, the proposed new CBA would only serve to keep the "top" tier of the NBA in check, which has been sorely needed for decades.

But the unions won't allow anything that smacks of stopping player freedom. So the small Market teams might be able to hang onto stars for one or two more years, but even then the less well off teams might get to have to make a big choice between one star or 4 or 5 decent players. Whilst the big Market teams still get to cream off the big names.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The players do have freedom, it's called free agency. However, the owners have freedom too, the freedom to not be held hostage by their players mid-season.

Placing a franchise tag on a player is literally holding them hostage. Either way it goes down, someone is going to lose some of their freedom.

jNTsTyQ.png

Placing a franchise tag on a player is literally holding them hostage.

If I have a choice of being held at gunpoint in some smelly basement or getting paid tens of millions to play basketball in Cleveland...I don't think the two are remotely comparable. Anyone with half a brain would choose the basement.

Mike Bibby gets bought out by the Wizards!!!

He's expected to sign with a contender, probably the Heat.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Placing a franchise tag on a player is literally holding them hostage.

If I have a choice of being held at gunpoint in some smelly basement or getting paid tens of millions to play basketball in Cleveland...I don't think the two are remotely comparable. Anyone with half a brain would choose the basement.

It would be a tough call to say the least.

BB52Big.jpg

Placing a franchise tag on a player is literally holding them hostage. Either way it goes down, someone is going to lose some of their freedom.

Except the owners can at least point to the NFL still being successful with a franchise tag. Players being given more power than owners is unprecedented.

I think the argument's apples to oranges here, though. The NFL's got more than 50 players on an active roster whereas the NBA's 15

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I guess after tonight's victory cameroncrazie is going to say how much he believes in the Knicks and how they're going to be dangerous in the playoffs, right?

You can calm down buddy, I'm tired of getting ragged on by random people for showing interest in a team. I was mad after a game so I talked about it. Isn't that what this thread was made for? To talk about NBA games?

You calm down, you're the one that is "mad" about random internet people ragging on you. Also, please don't include me with rams80. He's just mean. I had a little fun with your live and die with every game :censored:. Plus it was a question. -Dan does that :censored: all the time and he gets away with it, so let me have my fun, even if it's at your expense.

---------

The NBA is not the NFL. The "franchise tag" is a horrible, terrible, god-awful idea.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

So you'd rather see every star go to the same 4 or 5 teams? Because that will end up killing the NBA due to having too many teams and not enough good teams.

The NBA already has that.

The NBA is not the NFL. The "franchise tag" is a horrible, terrible, god-awful idea.

So you'd rather see every star go to the same 4 or 5 teams? Because that will end up killing the NBA due to having too many teams and not enough good teams.

There's this thing called the salary cap that kind of prevents that from happening. Just because 3 free agents signed with the same team one damn time, the sky is not falling, pigs are not flying, and the armageddon is not upon us.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Well now, you have the Celtics/Lakers/Knicks/Heat/Bulls tier that wins everything, then you have the Blazers/Nuggets/Rockets/Suns/Bobcats/Hawks/etc. tier that will compete but won't win titles, and then you have the Cavs/Wolves/Kings/Warriors/etc. tier that is absolute trash.

If we allow this Big Three crap to continue, that middle tier will become part of the bottom tier, and only the top tier will be worth watching or following. That's bad for the NBA because no league can survive in that kind of state.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I guess after tonight's victory cameroncrazie is going to say how much he believes in the Knicks and how they're going to be dangerous in the playoffs, right?

You can calm down buddy, I'm tired of getting ragged on by random people for showing interest in a team. I was mad after a game so I talked about it. Isn't that what this thread was made for? To talk about NBA games?

You calm down, you're the one that is "mad" about random internet people ragging on you. Also, please don't include me with rams80. He's just mean. I had a little fun with your live and die with every game :censored:. Plus it was a question. -Dan does that :censored: all the time and he gets away with it, so let me have my fun, even if it's at your expense.

---------

Whatever

Well now, you have the Celtics/Lakers/Knicks/Heat/Bulls tier that wins everything, then you have the Blazers/Nuggets/Rockets/Suns/Bobcats/Hawks/etc. tier that will compete but won't win titles, and then you have the Cavs/Wolves/Kings/Warriors/etc. tier that is absolute trash.

If we allow this Big Three crap to continue, that middle tier will become part of the bottom tier, and only the top tier will be worth watching or following. That's bad for the NBA because no league can survive in that kind of state.

Well, maybe the Blazers/Nuggets/Rockets/Suns/Bobcats/Hawks/etc. should put together a big three and compete. You can't blame the league for players wanting to win games. That's the objective of competition: To win. You're just mad the Clippers aren't one of those super-teams. It's called building a good team. The teams that have good players usually end up winning games. Why would they stop trying to compete?

And by the way, It's great to be a fan of one of those teams. You should try it.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Well, maybe the Blazers/Nuggets/Rockets/Suns/Bobcats/Hawks/etc. should put together a big three and compete.

If only it was that simple, but there's thirty teams in the league and far fewer superstars to go around. You do the math.

You're just mad the Clippers aren't one of those super-teams.

I'm not going to lie and say I'm not, but even moreso, I just don't like how players are being allowed to dictate where they're going to be traded and who they're going to play with midway through a season. That's not fair to the owners, who are the reason why the players are playing, and they don't deserve to be walked all over like that.

I don't object to free-agency Big Threes like the Heat nearly as much as I object to how Melo served as a complete distraction for half the Nuggets' season while forcing a trade, or the Jazz having to pre-emptively trade Deron Williams out of fear that he would also pull a Carmelo. That just crosses a line of insanity where the league needs to step in.

It's called building a good team.

Problem is, in today's NBA, building a good team won't win you any championships. You need multiple superstars, and only a select few teams can do that.

And by the way, It's great to be a fan of one of those teams. You should try it.

Do I look like a bandwagoner? :rolleyes:

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Well, maybe the Blazers/Nuggets/Rockets/Suns/Bobcats/Hawks/etc. should put together a big three and compete.

If only it was that simple, but there's thirty teams in the league and far fewer superstars to go around. You do the math.

But that's exactly what you're arguing! You're complaining about the minimal effort it takes for teams to put together a "Big 3" at will. But yet there's not enough superstars to do it? Whatever, I really don't care that much, the Bulls are so damn good happy.gif

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Archived