The 2010-2011 MLB Offseason Thread

AnythingChicago

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As hard as it is to say it, my almost 30 years of Cubs die-hardon is about to wilt. I'm three hours away from Safeco, and a team that although is mired in almost as much ineptitude as the Cubs, at least have a chance of digging itself out of the muck with a front office that at least makes it look like they know what they're up to.

Cubbies, you're on notice. Mariners, impress me.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

According to Hot Stove on MLB Network, Jason Bartlett is headed to San Diego. No word yet as to who's going to Tampa.

Jeez, the Rays are pulling quite a Marlins. They're gonna go from 100 game losers, to WS runner ups, to 85 win team, to AL East champion, then back to 100 game losers. Not boding well in St. Pete, especially with the Orioles improving. And if the Jays grab Grienke? (as it seems they will call Kansas City; they traded Marcum) Tampa has no chance. But then again they still have Longoria and Upton and Shields, so maybe they can stick around .500. Let's just say the 2011 Tampa Bay Rays season is gonna be interesting.

25yzwqg.png

According to Hot Stove on MLB Network, Jason Bartlett is headed to San Diego. No word yet as to who's going to Tampa.

Jeez, the Rays are pulling quite a Marlins. They're gonna go from 100 game losers, to WS runner ups, to 85 win team, to AL East champion, then back to 100 game losers. Not boding well in St. Pete, especially with the Orioles improving. And if the Jays grab Grienke? (as it seems they will call Kansas City; they traded Marcum) Tampa has no chance. But then again they still have Longoria and Upton and Shields, so maybe they can stick around .500. Let's just say the 2011 Tampa Bay Rays season is gonna be interesting.

The Rays still have a very good rotation, although with Soriano probably leaving, I don't know how the bullpen's going to shape up. Moving Bartlett makes sense, actually, as Brignac looks like he's capable to handle the job (and Barlett's contract is up sooner). Desmond Jennings should shine in the outfield with Upton as well. Now, I'm not picking the Rays to win the AL East this year, but they really don't look that bad on paper. I'd be more worried about finding out just how valuable and important Carl Crawford was to that lineup and clubhouse.

Edit: It looks like it's going to be RHP Adam Russell and LHP Cesar Ramos going to Tampa for Bartlett.

The Rays still have a really good team. They are trading Bartlett because they have a young guy in Brignac ready to take over. They can afford to let Crawford go because they have Desmond Jennings ready. Their rotation is very deep and they can probably trade one of their pitchers for another solid piece. I don't expect them to be a playoff team next season, but they are far from 100 game losers. I could see around 85 wins again. The Orioles are improving, but they still have a long way to go. A lot depends on their young guys and most of them regressed or did very poorly last season. Not sure Grienke will do much for the Blue Jays. They were never able to compete with Halladay and they'll have to give up quite a bit for Grienke. They're more of a threat to the Rays than the O's, but I still think the Rays have them.

"REAL" fan = not much going on in "REAL life". Being upset because you devote more of your life to following a professional sports team than someone else is pretty sad - and this is spoken (er... typed) by someone who was once in those shoes. If you're a "REAL" fan then you want everyone being happy and excited and going to games because it creates a more fun environment in the area, regardless of if they're "bandwagon" fans or not. It's goddam sports - celebrate the fun times, brush off the bad times - because it's not real... unless it's related to Donovan McNabb. I'm not sure I knew the true meaning of schadenfreude until I watched him play for Washington this year. Jesus christ it's fun watching him flounder.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Phillies very close to signing Dennys Reyes. So they'd have a Dennys and a Danyz.

Also, the lead story on Sports Night tonight was that they're actually discussing what kind of package they could put together for Zach Greinke. I don't see how they could possibly have the prospects left to get this done, but stranger things have happened. A year ago they said that they weren't going to get Halladay, next thing you know their top pitching prospect and a few others were on their way to Toronto.

http://www.csnphilly.com/12/08/10/Shooting-for-the-moon-Amaro-considers-Gr/landing_phillies.html?blockID=369352&feedID=704

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

shocked.gif

Holy :censored:, that came out of nowhere. I was waiting to hear him sign with the Angels. Wow. Kudos, Theo.

Edit: I just looked at the money. That's a freaking lot of money.

Edit 2: This pretty much means Cliff Lee is out of the running. I would have rather had him, but oh well. This is also a big overpay and I hope he can hit for power here, not to mention stay fast until he is 35. That's a big if and a huge bet that it will work out. I trust the FO, but this is a humongous risk, even bigger with Gonzalez not signed.

The Red Sox have said "Enough of this 'Missing the Playoffs' bull :censored:, we're getting Carl Crawford."

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's 7 years, $142M. Carl Crawford is thanking God for the Nationals inflating his price even more after offering Jayson Werth Monopoly money.

So after the past few months and even 3 different articles I read today of "Crawford to the Angels is almost a certainty," this happens.

What the hell.

:censored: YOU, BOSTON!

:censored: YOU, RED SOX!

:censored: YOU, CARL CRAWFORD!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

This pretty much means Cliff Lee is out of the running.

This means Cliff Lee is going to New York. You know the Yankees aren't gonna sit on their FA money stash for too much longer, especially with Boston making moves.

The Red Sox have said "Enough of this 'Missing the Playoffs' bull :censored:, we're getting Carl Crawford."

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's 7 years, $142M. Carl Crawford is thanking God for the Nationals inflating his price even more after offering Jayson Werth Monopoly money.

So after the past few months and even 3 different articles I read today of "Crawford to the Angels is almost a certainty," this happens.

What the hell.

:censored: YOU, BOSTON!

:censored: YOU, RED SOX!

:censored: YOU, CARL CRAWFORD!

My thoughts exactly.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived